Mission Models paints clotting?

czaczaja

Hi Guys,

Just had a go with the MM paints as I have hears only good things about them.

I have shot the MM red primer mixed with the MM dedicated thinner at the 10:4 ratio @ 20psi with a 0.2mm needle and the airbrush started clogging pretty quickly which is really uncommon with those paints.

When I disassembled it for cleaning I notices the paint was clotting  all over my needle which caused the airbrush to clog.

Anybody can help me with this?

My guess is too much thinner and too much air.  I know this seems to go against much of what we have all learned about airbrushing model paints, but Mission Model Paints are a whole new kettle of fish.  

It’s good that you used their thinner* but try starting with only 10% thinner which sounds like too little but it works.  (Sometimes I need to add a bit more thinner but have never gone above 20% for airbrushing.)  Lowering the pressure to 10-15 psi should also help. Also, did you use their poly additive?  Good stuff and makes the paint almost bulletproof once it had completely dried. 

For those who are new to Mission Model Paints (MMP) , I have used them for a couple of years and they are excellent for both hand brushing and airbrushing.  However, they are different to work with than “traditional” model paints and take some getting used to.  It’s not a steep learning curve, but, especially when using MMP for airbrushing, you have to throw out a lot of what you already “know” about working with model paints. The MMP website FAQs is a good starting place to learn how to use their paint: https://www.missionmodelsus.com/pages/tips-and-tricks-faq

MMP and Vallejo are now my go to paints, with Tamiya then Model Master not too far behind.  However, I’m across the pond so Humbrol and other popular UK paint brands are hard to find, at least in my area.

Lou in Idaho

*You can thin MMP with distilled water but other types and brands of thinners do not work well with MMP and some do not work at all though it looks like they have mixed in. Using IPA or windscreen cleaners (any cleaner with ammonia) as a thinner will not work at all with MMP, however, they are very good at stripping MMP.

• Like 1

just a caveat to the last post - they recommend you do NOT use poly with their primer. But try everything else louex2 recommended, including reading Mission Model's official FAQ page. I've used the black and white primers and have not had any clogging issues with a 0.3 airbrush. For primer they recommend 4-6 drops thinner for 30-40 drops primer. Start with those ratios and see if it flows better. 

@Shin-  Thank you for pointing this out and the reminder.  You are absolutely correct, never use MMP poly with the MMP primer- bad things happen including spending an hour or so cleaning the airbrush.  Don’t ask how I know... 🙄

Lou in Idaho.

• Like 1