Tornado GR.1 questions.

Evil_Toast_RSA

Building a Revell 1/72 GR.1, but having problems matching Revell paints (not available locally) to Tamiya or Vallejo colours. What colours would be recommended for the cockpit and seats, wheel wells and airbrake wells, air intakes and the Dark Grey used on the wraparound camouflage (think it's BS631c - 638?). 

Hope someone could help me out here. Thanks! 

I'll let others with better/more complete info chime in on the various detail colors (or should that be colours for a GR.1?) but the gray/green camouflage was Dark Sea Gray and Dark Green.  I don't have the full BS4800 numbers committed to memory (they don't follow an intuitive logic the way FS595 or RAL do), but 638 is the correct "last 3" for the gray.

A great resource for cross-matching BS4800 and various color systems from many nations/eras to available hobby paints is the IPMS Stockholm site:

IPMS Stockholm Color Cross-Reference (UK Colors)

Scroll down to the "postwar" section for what you need.

• Like 1

On my recent GR1 build, I used Tamiya XF81 for the dark green and XF82 for the dark sea grey. For the cockpit, either XF54 or Vallejo 70.990 light grey.

The airbrake bays, undercarriage bays and intake trunking are a very light grey, almost an off white. Just add a small amount of light grey to white, to get the right shade.

Rob.

5 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

For the cockpit, either XF54 or Vallejo 70.990 light grey.

Not going to lie, this has been the main reason for my post. Been looking at other manufacturers instructions on Scalemates (surprisingly not many...) and noticed this. Which confuses me a bit as to why there would be this difference in production of the real thing? 

Thanks for the answers! 

8 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

On my recent GR1 build, I used Tamiya XF81 for the dark green and XF82 for the dark sea grey. For the cockpit, either XF54 or Vallejo 70.990 light grey.

The airbrake bays, undercarriage bays and intake trunking are a very light grey, almost an off white. Just add a small amount of light grey to white, to get the right shade.

Rob.

XF81 is a good match for Dark Green, but XF82 is a match for wartime Ocean Grey, not Dark Sea Grey. I don't think there's a really good match for Dark Sea Grey in the Tamiya range, XF-54 can work but IIRC is lighter

33 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

XF81 is a good match for Dark Green, but XF82 is a match for wartime Ocean Grey, not Dark Sea Grey. I don't think there's a really good match for Dark Sea Grey in the Tamiya range, XF-54 can work but IIRC is lighter

Vallejo range perhaps? I can't see anything specifically mentioned as being a BS381c - 638 equivalent, but have Ocean Gray (71.273) and Sea Grey (71.049). Thoughts? 

How does the Vallejo RAF Dk Green (71.234) stack up to XF-81?  

21 minutes ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Vallejo range perhaps? I can't see anything specifically mentioned as being a BS381c - 638 equivalent, but have Ocean Gray (71.273) and Sea Grey (71.049). Thoughts? 

How does the Vallejo RAF Dk Green (71.234) stack up to XF-81?  

I have both 71.273 and 71.234 and my view is that the Ocean Grey is useable, maybe a tad dark but not bad. I've recently used this on a Spitfire and I'll be using it more often in the future, although my favourite Ocean Grey is Xtracrylics. Of course being good for Ocean Grey means it's not good for Dark Sea Grey

The Dark Green however left me quite puzzled... it's IMHO not olive enough, looks good under certain light conditions but bad under others. Personally I've only used it on an old model to see what it was like but for my following RAF builds I preferred to use one of two different options in the Vallejo range: 70.893 and 70.888, both from the standard Model Color range. The former is greener, the second a bit greyer, generally I use 893 as a base and then postshade using 888. In the past however I used 888 alone with good results, while I know other modellers prefer 893.

Between Vallejo's 71.234 and Tamiya's XF-81 I'd go with Tamiya

I have not tried 71.049 so can't comment on this. There is a "dark sea grey" in the Model Color range, that is 70.991 and I've used this and IMHO it's too light for the RAF colour.

Edited by Giorgio N

Forgot to add...

wheel wells and airbrake bays are in a very light grey, if you like Vallejo's I'd probably use 71.121 is IMHO a decent match.

Cockpit is in Dark Admiralty Grey, don't know of any match in either Tamiya or Vallejo. Personally I use Lifecolor's UA033, that seem to be pretty close

Also keep in mind that the Vallejo 71.xxx colours are all in the Vallejo Air range and these work best with an airbrush. Those in the 70.xxx range need some thinning to be airbrushed. Once properly thinned, they work pretty well and I personally use paints from both ranges with no issue

Edited by Giorgio N

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

wheel wells and airbrake bays are in a very light grey, if you like Vallejo's I'd probably use 71.121 is IMHO a decent match.

Cockpit is in Dark Admiralty Grey, don't know of any match in either Tamiya or Vallejo. 

Also keep in mind that the Vallejo 71.xxx colours are all in the Vallejo Air range and these work best with an airbrush. Those in the 70.xxx range need some thinning to be airbrushed. Once properly thinned, they work pretty well and I personally use paints from both ranges with no issue

No worries, have an airbrush and am fully aware of the differences and how to get both to spray properly. 

Now, onto the cockpit. This very thread and 2 different kit instructions have given me the idea that a Tornado's office should be viewed as Shrodinger's cockpit! Is it D.A.G? Is it Light Gray? Is it XF-25? :rage:Eurgh! Looks like I'm biting the bullet here and buying Humbrol No.5 (and I'm tired of throwing full pots away...).    

• Like 1