Airfix Swordfish MK1

MikeyJ

This is my first ever biplane completed with rigging. The new tool Airfix 1/72 Swordfish "Sink the Bismarck" kit, bought very cheap off ebay as it had missing parts. Turns out the missing parts were the entire cockpit, some glazing and the torpedo, but the plan was just a quickbuild and practice model for rigging anyway.  The plan changed when i had the idea to just chuck a tarpaulin over the open cockpit and acquiring a 2nd Swordfish to swap the decals round. So here it is complete with cockpit tarpaulined, keeping the rain out while sat on an airfield/carrier deck...😄 The rigging is 0.5mm EZ line, which looks thicker on the photos than it actually is.

Airfix Swordfish Mk1

Airfix Swordfish Mk1

Airfix Swordfish Mk1

Edited by MikeyJ
  • Like 40

What a clever idea- that tarp really looks good....and to think I've been wasting time, plastic, and photoetch doing cockpits all these many years  when I could have just covered everything in 1/72 canvas! You are a wizard! Seriously, a very nice Stringbag.

Mike

I do like that tarp idea and the method of attaching it - well done, and lovely build as well. I remember covering part of a Rareplane Stinson Grasshopper with a tarp aft I botched up one of the wing to canopy joints  - worked for me!

Thanks all for the comments. Wasnt sure if it would work as it is, but the perfectionist in me would probably have destroyed the plane trying to put more stretches and wrinkles in the tarp. 

I did notice i'd forgot to add the wing light lenses in the pictures, they've now been added before i loose them,