1/72 Airfix Lancaster as W4308 UV-C (for Charlie) lost 23 January 1943.

elger

I also have to admit that the irony of adding 1970s style raised rivets to a model in 2020 is not lost on me ;) ; I saw somebody on another forum build an old Airfix Hampden and I was looking at the photos thinking "wow those rivets look really nice and straight".

• Like 1

Riveting done. Phew! In the end it looks very satisfying..

P57ZFfs.jpg

xUUcJXD.jpg

42i3eiO.jpg

zgkBNAz.jpg

0MLP9li.jpg

OxZwPWb.jpg

dJQTR5B.jpg

TTeLapi.jpg

Now crossing my fingers that applying it with Tamiya's Mark Set Strong, an application or two of Microsol, and covering it in two layers of Future will be enough to eventually withstand masking!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Wow! Now that riveting does look good. 

It it makes quite a piece with no paint at all, just showing off the riveting and etch in all its glory. 

Nice work. 

James

35 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Wow! Now that riveting does look good. 

It it makes quite a piece with no paint at all, just showing off the riveting and etch in all its glory. 

Nice work. 

James

Yeah I've caught myself thinking about doing the same to a neutral metal B-17.. but I doubt that I want to put myself through this again!

• Like 2

Yep, that looks more than great after all the pain on sticking it. A B-17 in nmf should deserve it also. Maybe another same or more striking one than that on the famous "a  bit o'lace". Simply a very well done job.

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

For the first time I used precut AML masks - their low tack seemed perfect for this job... and it worked!

k8GfPBI.jpg

j8OLeYB.jpg

Still keeping my fingers crossed because I still have the underside to go!

• Like 10

Absolutely stunning work! Any chance of some details on the Archer rivets you've used please? Apologies if I missed them when I read through the rest of the WIP, but details of the product codes etc would be helpful for anyone wishing to order them for our own projects would be extremely useful indeed.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Absolutely stunning work!

Couldn't agree more, this is just fantastic work. Can't wait to see it with the masks off and everything finished!

Edited by SaminCam
  • Like 1

Impressive modelling elger, I could use a bad joke and say your thread is riveting, :giggle:  Hope you and your family are staying safe, keep calm and carry on modelling. :like:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Absolutely stunning work! Any chance of some details on the Archer rivets you've used please? Apologies if I missed them when I read through the rest of the WIP, but details of the product codes etc would be helpful for anyone wishing to order them for our own projects would be extremely useful indeed.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

Of course! I ended up using about 9 sheets of AR88146 single row rivets mainly. Could have done it with fewer but I mostly used the lines with the finest spacing (the sheet comes with three types - fine, medium, and slightly larger spacing). Additionally I used about 2,5 sheets of AR88147 double row rivets on sections of the wing and some rows on the fuselage. I also only used the rivet lines with the finest spacing of these double row sheets. Around the windows in the escape hatches are some round patterns found on sheet AR88145 https://www.archertransfers.com/SurfaceDetailsAircraft.html

The sheets are a bit pricey but if you calculate how much time you spend on them it's probably quite cheap entertainment ;). Also, I have to say Archer's customer service is great and the product is fantastic in my opinion: no more difficult to apply than regular decals so once you've got the hang of it it's quite easy. I've been very impressed with how they end up looking on the model. Rivets on 1/72 scale models are a bit controversial but in larger scales they will look absolutely fantastic and even more convincing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, franky boy said:

Stunning work. That really looks the part. Are you going to weather it very much?

James 

This is what I had in mind for the level of weathering, maybe a bit less:

H7qkrqR.jpg

I'm planning to accentuate some shadows with a dark enamel wash, and I want to modulate the top colours a tad with some oils and maybe some water colour pencils. Some paint chipping here and there and exhaust stains on the wings and on the tails but I don't want to go overboard with that.

• Like 5

Elgar, what fantastic work . . . the windscreen washers were further apart on wartime Lancasters. Post-war types had them as close as you have them.

460 with UV codes indicated to me that it flew from RAF Breighton. 

It going to be such a tribute to the crew and I hope there are relatives out there that get to see this model.

best regards to you and yours, trust you are keeping Safe

Ian

• Like 1

She's really looking the part now. Beautiful work! And to think I used to sand off all the rivets on my models way back when...    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1