1/32 Tamiya Spitfire IXe 485 (NZ) Sqn

Calum

I'm usually a 1/48 guy and I've only ever built one other 1/32 kit (the WNW Camel) but I do like Spitfires so I figure I need to give the Tamiya uber kit a go.

I'll be  doing a E wing aircraft from 485 (NZ) Sqn. 

32-Spitfire-IXc-01.jpg

I have collected a fair bit of aftermarket for this build... This lot cost mre than kit.. I reckon most of it won't actually be seen.. Oh well 

32-Spitfire-IXc-02.jpg

I spent a couple of weeks working on the cockpit. The kit cockpit is pretty nice and to be honest everything bar the seat belts will be hard to see when fuselage is joined up.

Still there is no point letting them go to waste so I've used Barracuda sidewall, Cockpit update set, and seat along with the Yahu Instrument panel and HGW Seat belts.

32-Spitfire-IXc-03.jpg

32-Spitfire-IXc-04.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 16

That looks great, I'm a huge fan of Barracuda and Yahoo stuff and always use paint masks, so will be interested in seeing this one develop.

Strangely I've not build the Tamiya 1/32 kit even though I have one in the stash, and I am partial to Spitfires, last year I built two Hobbyboss and one Revell 1/32 scale Spitfires, so it will be interesting and maybe motivational for me to sit back and watch this.

Cheers

Dennis

Cockpit is pretty much done. I'm happy with how it turned it .  The HGW belts seem a bit short so I made some wire to connect the back of the harness.

32-Spitfire-IXc-05.jpg

32-Spitfire-IXc-06.jpg

32-Spitfire-IXc-07.jpg

32-Spitfire-IXc-08.jpg

A lot won't be seen now that the fuselage is together. Fit was fine as expected

32-Spitfire-IXc-09.jpg

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Excellent work! I just finished this one my self, first time I've built 1:32 in many years. It's a superb kit, of course, but all that aftermarket will make it even better. I used most of that myself.

Cheers,

Bill

Just checked yours out Bill. It looks terrific Id be stoked if mine turns out as well . I'm going to cheat and not do the engine though :D 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's been a long time between updates but I have been working slowly on the build.

The Alley Cat W wing conversion is pretty straight forward. Fit is pretty good, as long as you take care removing it from the casting remnants. I glued the pieces in before I joined the wing halves. I used the gear bay pieces with the ovals for the wheels but I probably shouldn't have as I wasn't intending to fit the corresponding ovals on the upper wings

32-Spitfire-IX-10.jpg

32-Spitfire-IX-11.jpg

Next was the tail planes. In hindsight I think I may not have used the correct ones for the aircraft I'm modelling but never mind.. It;s to late to change it. Still there is no way I can be 100 % certain which tailplanes where fitted to this aircraft during he war so no sleep is being lost.

32-Spitfire-IX-12.jpg

The worst fit issue I encountered was the gun inserts. I ended up using 0.040 "thou card to try and force things into place. This was partially successful.

32-Spitfire-IX-13.jpg

I started on the engine next. I'm going to glue the cowls so I intend to fit the parts I need

32-Spitfire-IX-14.jpg

Some spot priming with AS 12 to see what needs some work. Everything looks OK so far.

32-Spitfire-IX-15.jpg

32-Spitfire-IX-16.jpg

32-Spitfire-IX-17.jpg

Rather than use the Alley Cat resin barrels, which are for the shorter later E wing aircraft I used the early E wing barrels from master models. A worthwhile upgrade IMHO

32-Spitfire-IX-18.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 13

Always love seeing your work Calum!

This is inspiring me to crack on with my Tamiya MkVc conversion(Johnny Checketts D Day machine)...wings are already done and engine and prop sorted.  Just need inspiration. 

Your cockpit is gorgeous and your work clean as ever.  Thanks for the update.  Shame I missed you at Omaka

Cheers Anthony 

14 hours ago, Jens said:

This is an interesting and informative thread, since I have the same kit and same e wing conversion set. :)

Jens

Thanks Jens, The conversion kit is one of the simplest around. And  it's really up to the modeller how well it goes in. I could ahve don a better job but under hte darker camo it looks good enough for me.

7 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Always love seeing your work Calum!

This is inspiring me to crack on with my Tamiya MkVc conversion(Johnny Checketts D Day machine)...wings are already done and engine and prop sorted.  Just need inspiration. 

Your cockpit is gorgeous and your work clean as ever.  Thanks for the update.  Shame I missed you at Omaka

Cheers Anthony 

Thanks Anthony. I've got Johnny Checketts book and will definitely do his D day Vc machine. But probably in 1/48 once Eduard release their promised V series kit (C'mon Eduard).

I'm hoping to get to Omaka 2021 so perhaps we can catch up then.

Edited by Calum
  • Like 1

It is indeed a lovely kit and you’re doing a great job with it. 

On the subject of the seat belts, I think the length of the HGW shoulder straps is correct, as they should join the metal plate between the two cockpit frames 11and 12  as you’ve done, and not at the rear frame ( 12 ) as shown in some diagrams for aftermarket sets. 

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

It is indeed a lovely kit and you’re doing a great job with it. 

On the subject of the seat belts, I think the length of the HGW shoulder straps is correct, as they should join the metal plate between the two cockpit frames 11and 12  as you’ve done, and not at the rear frame ( 12 ) as shown in some diagrams for aftermarket sets. 

John

Thanks John. 

I first  painted the entire model Tamiya airframe silver AS 12 upper surfaces ocean grey. I then applied some liquid masking Frisket with a sponge in the wing root. Not being sure if this would work I also applied some hair spray.

Next was the lower surface medium sea grey. I used Medium Sea grey C363 from Mr Color. 

I then painted all the upper surfaces Ocean Grey using AS10 from Tamiya and Ocean Grey C362 from Mr Color using a airbrush stencil to add some random colour patterns

To get a slightly feathered edge I scaled up the instructions and printed them out on card (not paper). The card extra rigidity means the paint coming out of the airbrush doesn't push the edge down onto the model

32-Spitfire-IX-19.jpg

I then sprayed the Dark green. I used Mr Color 361 RAF dark green. A few areas were also hit wiht Tamiya XF 81  I also used the stencils do add some colour variation.

I was pretty happy with the result overall. The masking Frisket came of easily but I did a bit of scrubbing just to add a bit more chipping.

32-Spitfire-IX-20.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 11

After a few weeks of and on I've finished the painting. I made all the masks for the marking and painted them using Tamiya mixes for the red and blue along MRP for the yellow. This is the first full mask job I've done and I'm pretty happy. I'm not sure I'll bother for my usual 48 scale subjects but I think it's worth the effort in 32 scale.  I applied some weathering with various airbrush splatter masks. The original wing root  chipping was a mixture of masking frisket applied before the paint and a bit of the hairspray technique. I was pretty happy with what I had

Unfortunately when painting the no step lines the masking tape pulled off much of the top coat. I put this down to the hairspray under the paint. It had been down for a month or so, so I was a bit surprised to see this. It also pulled some off over the gun bulge.

32-Spitfire-IX-21.jpg

Fortunately the top coats were so thin the repair was relatively straight forward.  I just re sprayed the camo, sanded it a bit and touched up some more.  then used a stiff brush and toothpick to scrub away the top coat (again) to get some chipping. 

32-Spitfire-IX-22.jpg

32-Spitfire-IX-24.jpg

32-Spitfire-IX-23.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 11