Brooklands Wellington the true Loch Ness monster

• 3 months later...

Hi

My last update, oh, it was long time ago, a year. This project is still alive, but I have no time for updates. 

Left side wall is ready. Longerons made from soft steel wire, fasteners are photo etched, thank's PART company.

Regards

Tomasz

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

What an awesome build! I’ve been a part of Brooklands as staff and as a volunteer for the last 4 years and our Wimpy is one of my favourite aircraft in our collection, so I’ll be keeping a close eye on this thread!

• 1 month later...

Hi Gents!

I almost finished front FN5 turret. This is of course all scratch. I'm disappointed with such low level of detail from Airfix kit and I have to make them myself.

First pictures from the begining of work.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Few weeks later after adding some details and starting painting.

spacer.png

And now almost finished, with pipes, guns, gunsight etc., some small details to add.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Vacuformed new glass cupola, not finished yet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nice watching

Tomasz

• Like 13

• 4 months later...

Hi 

Today I would like to describe the way I created geodetic structure of the fuselage side walls, maybe someone will take advantage of my comments on some of their projects.

People who know the Airfix model know that it has a geodetic structure recreated from the inside.

I used it as a template to roughly cut it out, but it required strong thinning later, because on the moldings, the ribs were 0.9 mm wide, and I had to achieve 0.25-0.3 mm. First, however, I sanded the inner side of the fuselage to obtain a smooth surface and filled and completed the missing parts of the surface, e.g. in places where frames or fins were to be glued into the fuselage. At the same time, I sanded the outer surface to pre-thin the walls. I cut the lattice in a generally known manner, drilling a place next to the place with a 0.4-0.5mm drill, and then with an Olfa knife, avoiding too much pressure, cutting out fragment by fragment. Here is an example.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

After cutting out, I initially sawed the ribs by thinning elements. In the next stage, I started the final sanding of the ribs to the desired size of 0.25-0.3 mm. I did this in small areas with the remainder of the fuselage taped with Tamiya tape for reinforcement. As I wrote in an earlier update, such a sawn rib was to be glued on both sides with 0.4-0.45mm wide and 0.2mm thick strips to give the appearance of original structural elements. When I had ribs sanded to the desired size in some area, I glued them from the inside with these strips to strengthen them and continued with the sawing. Diamond files worked best in filing, some also filed on a grinder to reduce their size, were used in the tail part, because the distances between the ribs were reduced there. Having already the entire wall with ribs of the appropriate width and glued on the inside, I taped the entire inner surface with tape for reinforcement and proceeded to thinning the ribs by grinding their outer surface. The thickness of the finished wall with glued ribs should be 0.8mm, as this should be the diameter of the longerons running at the top and bottom. Therefore, with a strip thickness of 0.2mm, the thickness of the rib with the strip glued on the inside should be 0.6mm. Therefore, I had to sand the surface of the ribs from the outside to this dimension. In order to control the thickness, I made a suitable template from the plate, which I used to control it. In the next stage, I glued the ribs on the outside. It is no secret that it was a tedious job. So as not to be boring for today end. Next, I will describe the assembly of the rib connectors and the manufacture of the longerons.

Regards

Tomasz

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

True story I promise. Back in Autumn 1995 I visited the Brooklands museum, and they were still discussing how best to conserve and display the Loch Ness Wellington. My suggestion, which they seem to have accepted, was to only recover one site of the fuselage and tail fin, and one upper or under surface for each piece of the wings and tailplane, to inhibit condensation build up inside the sections. I never formally heard back from them, but this does appear to be what they have done.

Hi 

New update. 

Continuation of work on side walls. The fasteners of the geodetic structure elements and those with longerons have been photoetched because hundreds of them are needed. Thanks a lot to Part company and my colleague Marcin Kuźniar for help.

spacer.png

I made the stringers of soft steel wire, which is used for making bracelets and similar jewelry. It is very plastic, at first it seemed too soft to me, so I originally tried with the wire intended for binding the reinforcements. However, too stiff wire caused the structure to be pulled down and limited the possibility of giving the wall an appropriate shape in accordance with the outline of the hull. I already use four Airfix kits to build this model. One of them will serve as the hull standard. I shaped stringers on the hull moldings.

spacer.png

Then I cut off only the upper part of the wall from unnecessary remnants and proceeded to glue it with the longeron. The lower part was left uncut to keep the wall in the correct shape.

spacer.png

The same process was repeated with the lower longeron. Connecting walls with stringers is significantly strengthened by photo-etched connectors. All elements are glued with CA glue in this process.

spacer.png

Based on the hull molding, the wall can be inspected and given its final shape. If I had cut off the remains of the fuselage at the top and bottom from the walls before gluing the stringers, they would become flaccid and would not keep the shape of the hull.

spacer.png

Finally, a set of almost finished walls.

spacer.png

Regards

Tomasz

Edited by Tomasz Hajzler
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1