Brooklands Wellington the true Loch Ness monster

Hi

After the construction of the Boeing F4b-4 I was wondering what to choose as a new project.
My choice fell on Wellington from the Brooklands Museum. I thought about it ever since I saw the picture on the cover of the aviation magazine and read the article about this particular aircraft few years ago. I want to do it exactly as it looks in a museum. That's why I flew from Poland to the museum to make my own photographic documentation. I also made contact with the museum, which promised to help in the project.
I will use Airfix kit for construction, at least three.

My monster in the original.

spacer.png

First cut

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Regards

Tomasz Hajzler

• Like 44
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

Hi

I'd like to explain how I plan to build fuselage. I saw film on youtube about Wellington. It shows the construction process at the factory. I have to do the same, separatly both side walls, bottom  and upper construction and two fragments with complete fuselage. Tube longerons will stiffen side walls. Geodetic structure will be attachted to the frames and floor.

Main problem is the shape of geodetic members, this is sigma shaped section. I had to invite how to imitate this shape and I decided to cut structure from fuselage halves. The maximum width is 0.3 mm. Then I will fix a little bit wider polystyren stripes (0.4-.45mm) from the inside. Thickness of this stripes is about 0.2 mm. I will sand off the structure from outside to receive aproxx 0.6mm and fixing outside stripes will be the last step. In this way I will receive geodetic condtruction with thickness of 0.8 mm, this is diameter of longerons. This is theory.

First steps

spacer.png

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Regards

Tomasz

Edited by Tomasz Hajzler
  • Like 22

I am continually amazed how people  other modellers, view a particular topic and I admire Thomas for 'thinking outside the box'.

This will become a MUST SEE model when its finished and I for one will be watching with great interest

Go for it Thomas and show the world a new dimension to modelling 🤗

Good luck

Ian

• 9 months later...

Well that is me interested,... WOW,..... good luck with this one and I hope that the geodetics work in plastic too as it could be very fragile once finished. Looking forward to see how you do the wings and those bomb doors. My fingers are aching just thinking of all of that cutting.

Imagine how a model of the aircraft resting on the bottom of the Loch with quite a bit of the original fabric still attached would look too!

https://twitter.com/BrooklandsMuseu/status/1067432861232496640/photo/1

https://lochnesswellington2020.org/

Cheers

Tony  

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1