PC-9 / Texan II

Paul J

Is there very much different between the above mentioned? I ask because I bought an Aeroclub 1/72nd kit today for very little and was thinking I could do an R A F or RCAF Harvard I I

You could start here : http://web.archive.org/web/20080309170823/http://www.hawkerbeechcraft.com/military/t-6a/not_pc_9.pdf

although it looks like a lot of the relevant info has gone. Pity it was a very useful document to tell the two types apart

Yes I spotted the under fuselage ventral fin being different to the one in the kit for example. There is an intake on top forward and right of the front cockpit plus the aerial fit. The canopy I see has a kink at its forward end which I will study on the kit vac form part. If its there  all well and good, if not I'll live with it. 

I have ordered a set of RNZAF decals for it and may well start on it once I have my other builds out the way!

Meantime thanks all for the leads and links.

• Like 1

Slightly OT............

Isn't it interesting that 30+ years ago the Pilatus PC-9 was rejected as the new RAF Trainer (AST-412) in favour of the Shorts Tucano (a heavily modified Embraer EMB-312).

Here we are a third of a century later accepting the Beechcraft Texan II (a heavily modified PC-9) into service as the RAF's new trainer.

What goes around... comes around....

Now back to the model discussion.....

Ken

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 16:35, Flankerman said:

Slightly OT............

Isn't it interesting that 30+ years ago the Pilatus PC-9 was rejected as the new RAF Trainer (AST-412) in favour of the Shorts Tucano (a heavily modified Embraer EMB-312).

Here we are a third of a century later accepting the Beechcraft Texan II (a heavily modified PC-9) into service as the RAF's new trainer.

What goes around... comes around....

Now back to the model discussion.....

Ken

Probably polatics Ken based on Shorts etc coming into play.

Julien

I can't believe that the Tucano is retiring from the RAF after 30 years. I can still remember the earlier Jet Provost, usually tucked away in the less prominent positions of air show static line ups. 

Regarding the introduction of the enhanced PC9 as a Tucano replacement, maybe we have simply got to a point where airframe development and associated performance have reached a level that meets most service criteria, so why keep pushing forward at unaffordable expense?

Perhaps the next leap forward will involve new forms of propulsion, moving away from oil derived fuels and maybe more environmentally sustainable airframe construction materials and methods.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Timbo88 said:

I can't believe that the Tucano is retiring from the RAF after 30 years. I can still remember the earlier Jet Provost, usually tucked away in the less prominent positions of air show static line ups. 

Regarding the introduction of the enhanced PC9 as a Tucano replacement, maybe we have simply got to a point where airframe development and associated performance have reached a level that meets most service criteria, so why keep pushing forward at unaffordable expense?

Perhaps the next leap forward will involve new forms of propulsion, moving away from oil derived fuels and maybe more environmentally sustainable airframe construction materials and methods.

Yeahm fully agree!

In aviation, systems seem to be the key performance criteria currently.

You can fit a modern training systems package neatly to every airframe.... Airframes and power only are secondary... stealth- wait and see.  . 

There looks like there a few differences between the T6 and the PC9 the large strake on the underside and the fin is different and the undercarrige doors from what I can see.

48815950413_405673439c_b.jpgIMGP2411 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

48816341371_7cd7e5e2a2_b.jpgIMGP7202 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

48816309536_b8f05cc6ba_b.jpg_IMG8841_1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

Willy

The two pictures of the "kinked" tail are actually PC-7Mk2 aircraft, now called PC-9M. The PC-7Mk2 was developed from the standard PC-9 for the SAAF in the early 90's. The "7" was used instead of the "9" in the designation due to the downrated performance, and a good dose of politics....

As to the differenced between the original Swiss and the American built version: plenty. Canopy is larger and has the alteady mentioned extra frames. Also note the spinner is bigger and thus the whole air intake and nose have some slight differences. Different ejection seats too and the ventral fin difference. 

• Like 1