1/24 Nissan Skyline 2000 GT-R

Spiny

It took me nearly six months but today I finally got this one finished up.

This is the build thread if you want more detail than in this post:

It does live up to the Tamiya reputation of being pretty easy to build, the only real difficulties I had was in getting the body onto the chassis but I struggle with that anyway, and with the seatbelts which were just horrible - sticky back paper does not like being threaded through photoetch buckles! This is the first time I've done any photoetch, and apart from the fact that it's so small it was much easier than I expected (seatbelts excepted).

So without further ado, here's (probably too many) photos of the finished build. Overall I'm reasonably happy with it - not sure if my skills have moved on from the last 3 builds or not and it's not without its flaws, but feel free to provide constructive criticism or suggestions for where I can avoid issues next time around.

I'll kick off with a few shots from around the car

48732833393_025ccdf03e_c.jpg

48733344772_f6059beedd_c.jpg

48733342602_38cb20ae3d_c.jpg

And this one is just because I finally got a top-down shot right for a change :)

48733352167_061368a189_c.jpg

A few more pics either side or end on

48733164916_896dfe46fa_c.jpg

48732832933_32c9b9491d_c.jpg

48733341352_19b3ee9416_c.jpg

48733338852_28b3ab2359_c.jpg

Some on the mirror to give an idea of the underside

48733335002_e8f85370c9_c.jpg

48733335447_962b70a200_c.jpg

48733154951_b7544d6eb3_c.jpg

The engine bay - Tamiya have done a really good job of the engine for this one and it seems a shame to tuck it away out of sight under the bonnet

48733155226_4d3004bd0c_c.jpg

48732827658_31000679de_c.jpg

And finally, the interior. Not the best pic ever taken of an interior as I was struggling with reflections as this model is fully glazed, but I couldn't let the thread go ahead without Fred featuring somewhere ;)

48732839543_29e817fc1f_c.jpg

Hope you like it

Spiny

• Like 11

Can't see much that needs constructive criticism tbh, looks a very nice build to me! I also like the white with black wheels scheme, suits the car very well! I must admit that personally I don't like Fred very much and would prefer the build without him, but that just me!

Really good job! :)

Keith

• Thanks 1

Thanks for looking, and for the likes and comments. Glad the colour scheme works for you - it seems that this car only came originally in white or silver, and since silver seems to be the go-to colour I figured I'd go with white instead. Of course, having bought the paint it turned out to be the same shade of paint as one of my old cars and I already have a can of it - not sure how good that can will be now though.

On 14/09/2019 at 21:52, keefr22 said:

Can't see much that needs constructive criticism tbh, looks a very nice build to me! I also like the white with black wheels scheme, suits the car very well! I must admit that personally I don't like Fred very much and would prefer the build without him, but that just me!

Really good job! :)

Keith

I get where you're coming from (I hope!) in that I usually prefer cars without model drivers too - it always looks to me as though it's very hard to get a figure which doesn't look completely fake. I was in two minds about whether to put the driver in, but this was the first kit I've done on returning to the hobby which had one, and in the spirit of wanting to try new bits as I go along I figured it was worth going along with building it and seeing how it turned out.

• Like 2

Thank you. I don't know anyone who doesn't like a classic Skyline, although I'm sure there must be some poor soulless people around somewhere who don't ;)

For the people who do like them though, this is definitely a kit I can recommend.

21 hours ago, Coventrycat said:

Looks fantastic. Those defined panel lines really make it pop.

Thanks both of you. I know there's two school of thought on panel lines regarding whether they detract from a model or enhance it. Personally, I think they do add another aspect to it, but am always wary of them as I've seen some models around where it just feels to me that the lines are too heavy, particularly on a white or yellow car. To try to reduce that effect, I tend to use Humbrol's Dark Grey wash on lighter coloured cars such as this rather than the Black wash I'd use on a darker car - glad that you feel it worked.