658 Sqn AAC Special Forces AS365N3 Dauphins

dolphin38

Had the pleasure at Solent Airport to be visited by not one but two of 658 Sqn Dauphin II's ZJ785 and ZJ787

48727751003_189b6c09ab_b.jpgEurocopter AS-365N-3 Dauphin AH.1 ZJ787 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

48727751368_30128d29ef_b.jpgEurocopter AS-365N-3 Dauphin AH.1 ZJ785 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

48728254357_79923b29d3_b.jpgEurocopter AS-365N-3 Dauphin AH.1 ZJ785 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

48727750768_9f852a5fc9_b.jpgEurocopter AS-365N-3 Dauphin AH.1 ZJ787 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

48728251922_c6783727f9_b.jpgEurocopter AS-365N-3 Dauphin AH.1 ZJ787 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

• Like 8

I wonder if these are the same choppers I saw participating in a fast-rapelling exercise in North London a few years ago? They were hovering over the old residential tower-blocks in the grounds of the Hendon Police Training School (now long pulled down / re-developed). I sat and watched the proceedings from a nearby road for a while - a very rare chance to see the SAS in training. Someone posted a Youtube video of the events IIRC

They are definitely intended to look as civilian as possible (for obvious reasons). 

Thanks for sharing with us.

Chris.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

I wonder if these are the same choppers I saw participating in a fast-rapelling exercise in North London a few years ago? They were hovering over the old residential tower-blocks in the grounds of the Hendon Police Training School (now long pulled down / re-developed). I sat and watched the proceedings from a nearby road for a while - a very rare chance to see the SAS in training. Someone posted a Youtube video of the events IIRC

They are definitely intended to look as civilian as possible (for obvious reasons). 

Thanks for sharing with us.

Chris.  

Possibly this exercise from 2013 ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Seahawk said:

You see, even the Army recognise that Extra Dark Sea Grey and White look classy on any airframe.

They’re actually blue and white with no markings at all except the reg at the back in white. The old A109’s had the reg on but blended in the same colour as the cab. You could feel them or look sideways to see the decals.

Steve.

23 minutes ago, speedy said:

The old A109’s had the reg on but blended in the same colour as the cab. You could feel them or look sideways to see the decals.

Steve.

ZE410 is now on display at Middle Wallop. I use a torch to show the public the serial under the cockpit door to make it visible from a distance of 8 or so feet. The serial is in dark grey on a slightly lighter dark grey background.

• Like 1