Saunders - Roe SRA/1 AKA 'Squirt'

A miserable day yesterday for outside chores left me with some free time in the cave :thumbsup: and today isn't going to be any better, make hay while the sun shines...

Cockpit.

20191007-072858-1.jpg

Starboard side of the cockpit showing side console with some dials, switches and levers.

20191007-073011-1.jpg

Scratch I/P installed.

20191007-073116-1.jpg

Throttle and other lumps and cables fitted.

20191007-073330-1.jpg

Test pilot test fitted, I think he reach everything he needs to.

20191007-073502-1.jpg

One more for the road. Pilot with his seat and control column will be stuck in later when it's safe.

Now to fit it into the fuselage :pray:.

Stuart

• Like 7

A milestone is reached.

20191007-193808-1.jpg

Cockpit tub in position and supported by scraps of plastic and CA.

20191007-202038-1.jpg

That was a task and a half. Had to shave a bit of resin off the inside wall so that the two halves would join. As I mentioned earlier, I had to be very careful with alignment as one half had suffered a small amount of shrinkage. The best way in the end was to line up the front half as it had more panel lines and these drifted slightly as you went aft until you were left with 0.5mm overlap at the rudder. All CA'd together and allowed to slow cure until I'm able to tackle the seam.

Stuart

• Like 14

Well, that was a meaty catch-up session for me - great work on the pilots suite .. sorry, cockpit!  This machine (like the Sunderland for my mind) seems to have an excess of fuselage to fill.  Nicely presented IP too.

To keep you going & counter the illness, thought you might enjoy this, spotted in passing on another forum ...

48868487641_76ff54f508_b.jpg

• Like 11

That time again for a progress report.

The main fuselage now being together is undergoing the usual filling and sanding routine; a mixture of CA+talc, Milliput to tidy up the join and other problem areas.

I thought I'd turn mt attention to the floats, their supports and the bays, using this as my reference.

20191013-120354-1.jpg

With the wing halves together, it was time to box in the float wells and add an axle(?) for some linkage.

20191013-120527-1.jpg

The float opening had to be boxed-in like as per reference and metal supports added ('cos I broke the resin bits) with a cross piece for the float linkage.

20191013-121116-1.jpg

And together, minus the linkage.

With one done, I need to duplicate this for the other side.

Stuart

• Like 14

3 hours ago, jrlx said:

Very clean work! Impressive!

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Neat work, Stuart.

20 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very nice indeed, great work on the cockpit, IP and the floats and bays. They're lovely. Keep up the good work.

All the best

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

The second bay, support and float done, that's the wings ready to go onto the fuselage.

20191013-184514-1.jpg

The last for the day is the tail section; the bullet fairing and the horizontal stabilisers, all mentioned parts were secured with a metal pin. Now drying before the routine joint cleaning and then all being well, the wings will go on, then....primer!

Stuart

• Like 9

On 30/09/2019 at 14:28, Courageous said:

The saving consolation is that with a hopeful retirement in a couple of years, it will shrink...

Stuart  

Don't be surprised if Mrs @Courageoushas other plans for your spare time. 

Look at poor @PeterBhe has ended up building the Great Wall of Wales !

Resin followed by Vacform...... Have you always been an overachiever Stuart ! 😉

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Resin followed by Vacform...... Have you always been an overachiever Stuart ! 😉

Variety is the spice of life...keeps you on your toes.

Stuart 

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 2

On 10/13/2019 at 7:58 PM, greggles.w said:

Super work on those floats & bays- great to see.

Cheers fella.

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I've just caught up with this and I'm glad I did. Lovely work and an interesting subject!

Thanks Ian. Not sure if I like this resin melarky.

57 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Superb work Stuart. Was always fascinated by this jet especially how the linkages worked with those rotating floats. 

Cheers Martin.

Stuart

Update...

20191019-182128-1.jpg

Everything has a splash of primer to reveal a few flaws, namely a bit of seam work in front of the the cockpit and the intake, always an awkward place. Once happy, on with the wings and then sort those joints out.

Stuart

• Like 10

On 10/19/2019 at 11:22 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Looking great with some primer on, can't wait to see this go together.  

Cheers Chris.

Little steps forward...

20191022-184800-1.jpg

Vacform canopy cut out and windscreen fitted together with that tube thing in front of it with Formula '560' canopy glue. When all set, I will blend the bits it with a little filler.

Just remembered that I needed to sort out inner seems of that big intake. Just hope that those bits I've just glued on will stay on during the process.

Stuart

Stuart

• Like 7

Sorry for the slow week.

20191025-175151-1.jpg SR1-A-Intake.jpg

Wings are eventually on and underside joints needed a little Milliput once the dihedral had been achieved. Windscreen has been masked and painted interior green. Another coat of primer will no doubt reveal more work needed. Been thinking of the intake and will most probably do this before the top coat goes on.

Stuart

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Time to jump back onto this after finishing my RAF ASRL for Telford.

20191106-225733-1.jpg

Canopy masked and painted interior green.

20191106-225643-1.jpg

Floats and legs painted with Tamiya AS-12.

20191106-230025-1.jpg

Intake grill built from 7 lengths of wire conductor that were glued together using CA and stuffed into the mouth.

20191106-225806-1.jpg

Everything given a coat of Tamiya AS-12.

All being well, I should be able to apply a coat of varnish in the morning, decals later.

Stuart

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Murdo said:

I wonder how they expected to keep water out of the air intake on landing and take off.

Indeed. 3 were built, 2 were lost...

30 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

How on earth did you avoid dropping it into the aircraft never to be seen again ?

Cheers Pat. The grill disappearing inside wasn't a problem as the intake is blanked off with a ton of resin. The intake opens-up as you move inside, so I made the grill about 0.5mm bigger than the hole, let in fall in and slowly pulled it out and then CA'd in place.

21 minutes ago, DMC said:

Nice finish, Stuart.  Decals today?

Thanks Dennis. Decals today, maybe this evening but I've got to make sure I'm ready for Telford first and I've got other chores to do during the day.

Stuart

• Like 3