Aston Martin DB5 tyres 1/24

Peter Roberts

I have a Doyusha 1/24 Aston Martin DB5, with 14 mm wheels, but the tyres are a bit, well, ordinary.

Does anyone know a source for decent treaded tyres, in particular for a 14 mm diameter wheel?

TIA

Peter Roberts

Thanks guys. All the after market sets I found were larger than 14mm.

I was hoping to do this one out of the box, but may have to go for the larger sets.

I don't know if 14mm is too small. Will have to check that - any idea what diameter the wheels of a DB5 were?

PR

Hi Peter,

If you aren't bothered by the cost, Profil24 do several Aston Martins plus a number of cars from the same period so have complete metal rims and wires (p/e). I think Renaissance do complete wheels too. More expensive still are wheels from Model Factory Hiro but they're pretty good. Also check out aftermarket sets for the Ferrari 250 GTO and Testa Rossa. I think these are 15" too. Hobby Design did a set for the Testa Rossa. I think I even bought their set from BNA Modelworld in Oz!
The Doyusha wheels do look too small so it would greatly improve the look of the model.

As an afterthought, also see if there are any suitable slot car wheels in 1/24. You never know and slot car stuff can work out cheaper.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Some very good ideas there.

I have to admit, I am not a great fan of the metal and photo etch route. These seem to leave a gap in the middle of the wheel where the etch fits, all the spokes come from the centre line of the wheel, and the spokes look flat. 

On the other hand, the moulded variety while looking effective aren't see through. 

I hadn't thought of the slot scene so will check out what they have. I'm not keen to spend a heap on basically a kirb side model, so that may limit options. 

I have scrounged some custom rims from a 1/25 Mustang which look about the right size, so may go down the path of replacing the centres with the wire from the Doyusha kit. I would like to try to keep this as OOB as possible. 

Hmm, lots of options!

Thank you all for the input and ideas, very much appreciated. I'll see if I can post in WIP or put up pics of the finished car when done.

Cheers

PR