When Does HMS PoW Sail?

4scourge7

Clicked on a couple stories that go: `REVEALED- HMS PoW Departure Time` only to then say `some time in the next month, maybe even next week yadda yadda.....`

Well, `tis this weekend, apparently. Portsmouth is ready, newly cheered and happy Rosyth workers are ready (well done on the T31 nod, folks).

Any pointers anyone? :)

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'm rather curious as to the odds of seeing her when I'm in the UK in November. Will she be out on sea trials continuously? 

HMS Queen Elizabeth was in and out of Portsmouth during her sea trials, I`m afraid it`s pot luck if HMS PoW is there on the day.

7 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Apparently, due to high winds, it may not sail until next Tuesday. 

I can confirm high winds, and with the margins being as tight as they are in places (leaving the basin and under the bridges) maybe a delay would be seen as understandably prudent on behalf of the navy.

Cheers, Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I got lucky today. We had an invite from friends in Dundee to go over and visit, take in the new V&A museum there and go for dinner. Driving over the new Queensferry Crossing bridge I glanced left, upstream. Purely by chance.  There she was with her tugs in attendance, bows pointing up river, up the Forth.  I assume she was in the process of being turned to go down to the sea??  Anyway a glance or two was all I managed but the family certainly got a great view 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They Sold HMS Ocean in order to crew POW(unfortunate initials!!). RFA Argus is currently being used as a makeshift LPH in recent exercises. A lot more money needs to be spent on the RN! POW's SeaTrials have gone well and she'll be heading down to Portsmouth in the next couple of weeks to meet her sister at sea for a unique photographic opportunity before entering Portsmouth for the first time. Commissioning due before Christmas which will see both our new carriers alongside together for the first time.

1 hour ago, Stealthman said:

They Sold HMS Ocean in order to crew POW(unfortunate initials!!)

Not perhaps as unfortunate as those on S for Sugar,  the RAF Museum's Lanc R5868 in its 467 Sqn markings... 🙂

(sorry for going off-topic but couldn't resist!)

It was interesting that the last episode in the BBC documentary on HMS Queen Elizabeth ("Britain's Biggest Warship" - well worth a watch by the way), the narrator, commenting on the ship's expected 50 year life span, concluded the programme observing that "her final crew have yet to be born...." a powerful and salutary message - especially for someone about to hit the big Six-O.

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 20:07, mick b said:

Or like the POW at the time of the Bismarck still got civvies on board? 😂

Certainly would have done.  I was OOW1 in ARK ROYAL when she went to sea for the first time for her initial sea trials in 1984 and we had over 300 shipyard workers on board (and only around 100 RN Ship's Company IIRC).  That said, QE and POW are being trialled in a different way to the old CVS so I would expect the ratio RN : shipyard staff to be more in favour of RN.