Ryan NYP Spirit of St Louis

This FROG Trailblazers kit of Spirit of St, Louis is a recent completion. It was built as it comes with some added extra details like the flying control cables and fuel tank vent pipes, I also replaced the kit static pipe with some brass tubing.

It was painted with Tamiya's Silver Leaf from a rattle can and the doped fabric areas received a couple of coats of acrylic matt varnish. How best to replicate the engine turning on the nose panels in 1/72 scale caused some head scratching, in the end I decided to go with dots of chrome using a Molotov pen, and this was coated with satin varnish to tone down the effect. The decals are from the kit and performed really well considering their age.

Ryan NYP

Spirit of St Louis

FROG F166 - 1/72

48727317502_aa42694914_b.jpg

48727141511_17c0f6d015_b.jpg

48726813588_92b2b2a56c_b.jpg

48727141026_5cbe0cd0e5_b.jpg

48727141356_64bb15f045_b.jpg

48727317277_dd228fe29c_b.jpg

48726813083_6f46e2e9a4_b.jpg

• Like 31

Another of those classic old kits which I remember as a youth! A lovely little model, beautifully built and finished. The machined metal effect around the front looks convincing.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

Beautiful.  Whenever I see pictures of the Spirit of St Louis I wonder how Lindbergh could see where he was going.

AW

Edited by Andwil
Typo
  • Like 1

Nice Froggy!

Having built a couple of these I know the challenges, you have done superbly!

Thanks for posting this refreshing model!

Cheers

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

Whenever I see pictures of the Spirit of St Louis I wonder how Lindbergh could see where he was going.

I am sure you are aware of the retractable periscope on the side. Still, no great view surely, and what a challenge. Great pilot, no doubt.

In his personal life, though, Lindbergh had much more concerning "vision" issues, given his known (but quickly swept under the carpet so posterity wouldn't worry about that) racist views.

• Like 3

Thanks for all of the really kind comments gents.

On 13/09/2019 at 18:55, Gary Brantley said:

That'a just super cool!  😎  I have the Revell kit in 1/48 and can only hope it comes out half that well!  😀

I am sure that you will make a great job of your Revell 1/48 kit when you get around to building it.

23 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Exceptionally good....  I'm a big fan of the old Frog kits.

Cheers buddy.  If you head over to the Current Group Build section, there are some great Frog kit builds happening and I am sure that you will find plenty of interesting stuff there.

• Like 1