Macchi M.5

On 11/11/2019 at 5:56 PM, DMC said:

Nice!  You are certainly making good use of “The Book”.

Dennis

Yes - reading it was what made me want to build something in the first place :)

Discovered I had made a booboo with the tailplane struts. I had for some inexplicable reason put them supporting the leading edge. This doesn’t make much sense so I moved them to where I think the spar is.

Before and after

Qxhibzl.jpg

vxiYB3K.jpg

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 6

Finished the engine and made the struts holding it. N-shaped, with bars in between. Took some care to get them aligned since any deviance will be incredibly obvious. Made them out of hardened 0.3 mm brass rod, to ensure they are properly straight.

GXSvFWr.jpg

yPsAtNn.jpg

I’m also replacing the tail struts... couldn’t stand them being square in cross section.

Now I *really* can’t put off making the upper wing any longer.

• Like 10

That engine is very realistic - as good as many kit samples that I have seen. Getting the platform for the engine is important - as you write it really must be square or it stands out horribly. The upper wing shoukd not present too difficult a problem, and with a simple jig you should be able to align it properly too.

P

• Like 2

Thanks for the likes guys :)

On 11/20/2019 at 11:51 PM, pheonix said:

That engine is very realistic - as good as many kit samples that I have seen. Getting the platform for the engine is important - as you write it really must be square or it stands out horribly. The upper wing shoukd not present too difficult a problem, and with a simple jig you should be able to align it properly too.

P

I’ve started, but not without difficulty.  :o The plan was to use a 1 mm plastic sheet as base and skin it with 5 thou sheet with ribs embossed.  The base is cut and sanded as a single piece, but due to the raked wings, a separate covering (I find the designation “skin” a bit morbid) is needed for each of the port and starboard sides. 

The raked wing poses a problem for creating an aerofoil shape: it can’t be easily curved by simple bending. Making two halves was an option, but I wanted the extra structural stability. A first test ended in failure. I naively clamped the port half over a strip of wood like so (and clamped at the trailing edge, which is not shown)

8DpeTbH.jpg

and shoved it into the oven, trying to bend one side at the time. The centre line is sawed a bit through from each side to allow a change in curvature there. I had the oven too hot; out came a distorted starboard wing looking like a buckled aluminium wing and the port side showed imprints after the clamps.

Lesson learned, I made a more solid clamping jig, setting the curve at both sides at the same time making sure that no sharp edge is in contact with the wing. Then started the oven at a low temperature (50 centigrades - the lady was rising some bread dough at that temperature, she sounded rather surprised finding my contraption next to it a bit later) and gradually increased until I achieved plastic deformation (i.e. the wing keeps the clamped shape after removing clamps). The trick is to reach a temperature giving this deformation without causing warping due to bad clamping or too much heat: in my oven that happens at 90 centigrades (note to self).

The wing base is here somewhere:

TI6EUdd.jpg

Result:

dJpV6Cv.jpg

The leading edge looks a bit flattened on the photo, but that is only an optical effect caused by the rounded tip.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 9

Very neat way of bending the plastic for the wing without having to cut it in the centre. I had a similar problem with the H-B W13 but there was a straight centre piece to which I could attach the outer panels. It would not have been possible to make that wing in one piece but future flying boat wings with sweepback may be different so I will bookmark this.

P

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2019 at 6:08 PM, pheonix said:

Very neat way of bending the plastic for the wing without having to cut it in the centre. I had a similar problem with the H-B W13 but there was a straight centre piece to which I could attach the outer panels. It would not have been possible to make that wing in one piece but future flying boat wings with sweepback may be different so I will bookmark this.

P

The base turned out better than I hoped for, but it was difficult to make the 5 thou skin conform to the underside curve. Adding pressure will easily distort the thin sheet or damage the embossed ribs. I ended up sandwiching the wing between two kitchen sponges, then two hard planks to keep it straight and only then clamps. Results were ok, but I need to practice this :)

For the embossing of ribs I got a new tool, the one I had previously made a bit too wide ribs which will be very apparent on the upper wing with its 27 ribs per wing. My new embossing tool had a smaller radius and on top of that a built-in marking functionality:

63VdntF.jpg

That is 5 thou plasticard, embossing before cutting out. Found those drawing on google image search - no idea about provenance but looked like photos and fitted my drawings like a glove (my drawing had no ribs marked and I would never get 54 lines evenly placed by hand).

Continued with struts. The outer wing struts are fat V-struts (more Nieuport inheritance?) so I made them out of plastic. In any case it will be the upper wings that carry the lower rather than the other way around - the contact area for the lower wings is tiny and I couldn’t even fit a dowel how thin they are. This means the upper wings need a sturdy construction. Unfortunately the struts holding it up over the engine cradle are tiny.

I had trouble making neat streamlined shapes before (difficult to make them even), so I used a 4th method of making struts: 0.5 mm brass tube, 0.2 mm wire inside, then squeezed it evenly with flat pliers, making an even ellipsoid cross-section. These will also bear the weight of the wings.

V-strut and ”tube-strut”:

9Z47HBZ.jpg

Made a high-tech jig to hold the upper wing. Here I am first dry-fitting the struts. The length of the struts I calculated from the drawings and amazingly enough they actually fit. The aft and fore pairs are different in length since they sit at different angles.

PXTLmhp.jpg

Once satisfied I carefully measured the separation distances between the strut attachment points up and down and soldered the middle strut to make a strong N-strut which hopefully will make assembling easy:

eZ5DRR4.jpg

Here you can also see the result of the wing. I have not cut the trailing edge yet, only marked it, since the fitting will require a lot of manhandling. I have yet to finish the seam along the centreline.

jRPLqnX.jpg

Time for painting and assembly!

The struts holding the engine cradle are too thick by the way, but I’ll have to live with that. I made them based on  model build logs rather than photos of the real thing. Lesson learned :)

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 10

Thank you, guys. :)

Pheonix, yes, although I omit details I can’t get to scale, the absense of struts would have been too conspicious. Metal tube seems promising though, I think I will order a mixed set of brass tubes of various diameter if I am to do this sort of thing again.

Edited by Torbjorn

No update - apologies! - merely a note to self. Insignia colours used (Vallejo):

Red 70.957

green 2x 71.124 + 1x 71.006

Wings (linen). 

First grey primer, followed by Hemp followed by (incomplete coverage) Aged white.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1

Thanks - unfortunately the underside became less pretty after I used a bit too strong clamps: there is an ugly imprint :( 

Current state. Added radiator (made from 2 push molded pieces and a crank from soldering together brass rod and tube and assembled. Also added rigging for the engine cradle since that would be difficult later. The X-shaped wires should meet at those horisontal bars, so I simply tied them together around the bars:

pU6gZJI.jpg

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 7

Slow going, waiting for layers of paint  to dry. The wings have the standard Italian red and green indersides, otherwise linen.

A metal plate protected the wing from hot exhaust; I made it in the simplest way possible, plumber’s alu tape. Control horns from beer can. I also managed to put the ailerons the wrong way, so now I have to try to move the control stick the other way.

0SuKYp9.jpg

• Like 7