SAAF B-26 Marauder

Rakovica

Hi!

Many years ago I bought the vintage (but still quite nice!) Airfix B-26 Marauder and now I decided it's finally time to do something with it. ;) 

As I'm interested primarily in the subjects in connection with Yugoslavia during WW2, I want to build the plane from this well known photo:

jk.jpg.opt836x560o0,0s836x560.jpg

It was taken over city of Banja Luka on May 31, 1944 during one of the two raids taken by the 12th Sqn SAAF on that day. While I'm not quite sure, I believe the plane photographed could be "V for Viking" FB484. Can anyone confirm this, please? Also, is there any other photo of "V for Viking" available, so I can examine the little details before the build?

Luckily, Xtradecal did the decals for this very Marauder on their sheet No. 72104. 

s-l1600-2.jpg

If anyone has these particular decals for the mentioned Marauder only, I'd be happy to buy! :)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Rakovica
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dobre Dan, Rakovica,

I don't have the "Mediterranean Twins" sheet, but can offer markings from this one:

da733443-1705-405b-a09e-927a68adb527.jpg

Has 2 SAAF schemes - "H" of 30. Sqn, Italy 1944 and "G" of 21 Sqn, also Italy 1944.

Let me know if these would do as well.

Volim sve,

Roman

• Thanks 1

On 15/09/2019 at 12:25, bryanm said:

It's curious that there are few decals for SAAF/RAF Marauders in 1/72 scale and none at all in 1/48.  A gap in the market!  My Monogram Marauder is waiting........

...the wait is over, or maybe has already been for a while. MAV decals do Marauder III HD575 "P - Peel Off Pam" in both 1:72 and 1:48. I'm waiting for my set of these and for SAAF Boston and Kittyhawk to arrive any day. V-P

https://www.mavdecals.co.za/product/saaf-marauder/

• 1 year later...

@tonyot

Dayam, Tony- those are some incredible Marauder photos! Might have known- if it was a multi engined bomber  that carried a roundel at some point in its career, you would have a compete dossier! That reminded I have the decal sheet...maybe Dominion Revenge might  not be my first choice after all, but it was not a C model like V-Viking.

Mike

• Like 2

5 hours ago, barneybolac said:

Same B-26 FB484? with different nose art? Do you have anymore SAAF images of Marauders Tony?

Viking in flight in this video.

https://film.iwmcollections.org.uk/record/39950

That is a great little film mate.

Yes I was given a few Marauder photos by a friend in South Africa.

21 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@tonyot

Dayam, Tony- those are some incredible Marauder photos! Might have known- if it was a multi engined bomber  that carried a roundel at some point in its career, you would have a compete dossier! That reminded I have the decal sheet...maybe Dominion Revenge might  not be my first choice after all, but it was not a C model like V-Viking.

Mike

Glad you like them mate,.... and LOL,... yes of course but I`m not sure about the dossier! Dominion Revenge was a Mk.I,.... so the Valom kit is good for that one,...... yes I have a few SAAF Marauders planned and have aleady built B- Bliksem with the cat artwork on the nose! 

On 6/14/2021 at 10:21 AM, tonyot said:

Odds154.jpg

A different V?

And;

Vindictive Viking!

B26-The-Viking-Boat.jpg

Remember,..... the SAAF Marauders had the bottom pack gun fitted on eother side of the fuselage,..... RAF Marauders had them all removed.

Cheers

Tony

That sharp(ish) demarcation between upper and lower surfaces gladdens the heart of this old brush painter.

But they went way overboard with the pre-shading on "a different V?".  :wicked:

• Like 1