Hasegawa 1/72 F-35B Lighting II

Hello! Here's the second of my "jump jets" posted today, the 1/72 Hasegawa F-35B. This one was built out of the box and the only major modification was to add some more detail to the pilots seat and downwards pointing nozzle. The kit went together very easily and most of the build time was spent on the paint job. This consisted of an Alclad Aluminium basecoat underneath my own Haveglass grey, mixed together from xf54, x32 and xf85 - this gives an interesting sheen which changes tone depending on the lighting and the angle you look at it. I then spent an age masking the ram panels before spraying another mix of grey. I tested out the ram panel decals in the box on the inside of the tail fins but they are just to contrast-y for my liking to be used all over. I'm really glad to get this one over the finish line and pretty pleased with the final result, even if there are a few things I need to work out for future builds - tinting the canopy was a disaster and I gave up in the end and like the Harrier I got some decal silvering probably because the gloss coat over the paint needed to be smoother..... WIP here: 

Enjoy!

48726656511_02ccd59a87_b.jpg

Different light, different effect:

48726834727_efc88e8a7c_z.jpg

48726327753_bd09896b16_z.jpg

48726834467_6479004340_b.jpg

48726833242_3dc45dfaef_z.jpg

48726835942_18b283eae6_b.jpg

48726837102_3e540ff2cd_z.jpg

Edited by SaminCam
Bigger photos
  • Like 38

I think it is very impressive that by creating your own Haveglass grey which changes tone depending on the light you've replicated the real aircraft. I haven't photographed that many F35s and certainly not in sunny conditions but I have noticed that, unlike the paint on a Typhoon for example, the grey does change (or at least to my eyes anyway) depending on the light. The F35 is growing on me but I'm not a fan of it's paint scheme and the variability of its appearance. Now, if they start painting them 1970's style grey and green then we're talking!  

• Like 2

Really lovely model, and I agree with Latinbear that your "haveglass" paint job is really amazing!  I've taken some notes on what you did in case I ever get around to doing an F-35 of my own.

Edited by mdauben
typos
  • Like 2

That is a cracking looking build mate.  Great job on mixing your own paint up - looks spot on. 

Sadly, I don't feel much love for the F-35 though....  Masking all those RAM panels puts me right off as well....!!

Phil

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

That is a cracking looking build mate.  Great job on mixing your own paint up - looks spot on. 

Sadly, I don't feel much love for the F-35 though....  Masking all those RAM panels puts me right off as well....!!

Phil

Phil, newer aircraft and indeed a lot of the older ones no longer have RAM panels ina different if you ever where to get some love for it. Cracking job the poster on the build and paint mix, I’ve got one on the go using hatakas have glass paint and that mix looks spot on 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, much appreciated! @Latinbear the thought of a whatif RAF grey and green F-35 with proper roundels and wing hardpoints loaded up is extremely enticing, I'll add that to my list of "scratches to itch"! @Kitchen Modeller good point, your wish is my command - I've posted some larger pics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...