1/72 Airfix Harrier GR.3

Hello all! This is the first of two "jump jets" I've been building for the last six months or so, the 1/72 Airfix Harrier GR.3. The kit goes together well and the only modification was to use the eduard etch set for the cockpit (which you can't see much of anyway!). It's airbrushed with Tamiya acrylics and weathered using white, brown and black artists oil paints. The decals seemed quite thick and took a lot of persuasion to settle down, especially the roundels just behind the intakes. Some of them have also silvered a bit but I guess that's on me for not getting a smooth enough gloss coat down after the paints (always something to improve on!). Overall I'm really happy with how it has turned out. Thanks to everyone who provided encouragement along the way in the WIP:

48726654986_f33b19d851_b.jpg

48726326483_c95a1d88c7_b.jpg

48726829972_33bfee46e2_z.jpg

48726832952_dcdcf5095a_z.jpg

48726652746_1ce13bc67c_z.jpg

48726834072_37e556df39_b.jpg

Edited by SaminCam
Bigger photos
  • Like 62

Really great job on this Harrier!  The paint job and weathering are looking fantastic!  I've got one of these same kits in my little stash pile, so your model is really inspiring me to up my game when I get around to building it.  

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 10:28 PM, Lord Riot said:

Lovely stuff! Can't beat a Harrier, and what a cracking one this is. The colours look just right to me.

Everything he said, and yes, especially those colours, spot on i reckon!

Terry

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That's convinced me to order one of these...  the prettiest of all the harriers. I made the hasegawa kit decades ago and that was nice, but still not quite right shape wise.... this looks very good. Inspired by a photo of a heavily laden gr3 in this year's British phantoms bookazine to give one a go. Thanks for sharing your superb work.

That's convinced me to order one of these...  the prettiest of all the harriers. I made the hasegawa kit decades ago and that was nice, but still not quite right shape wise.... this looks very good. Inspired by a photo of a heavily laden gr3 in this year's British phantoms bookazine to give one a go. Thanks for sharing your superb work.

• Thanks 1