Dragon ZSU 23-4

Miketheexrock

Hi all , well after finishing the T55 thought I had better dig this out of my stash of 2 kits the dragon ZSU. 23-4 iT started in the first 10 minutes as an OTB build, . Hmmm yea right ,  Aber barrels check,  after sales PE check. Plastic card. Yep, well that lasted a long time .

After Several brews and instruction reading , Google abuse swearing curse and general gentile procrastinating. I made that fatefully first snip  and we are away. Troubles disappear and time races away.

starting the driver compartment 

2019-09-12_03-49-46

Slowly building up some of the detail , drilling out the holes with various micro drills , good old lead wire 

2019-09-12_03-50-08

bang in a seat , and opposite firewall , make a small twirly handle thingy 

2019-09-13_01-36-38

Adding in a bit more  of the back wiring 

2019-09-13_01-37-23

having a quick peek to see what i can see 

2019-09-13_01-37-40

Edited by Miketheexrock
  • Like 4

|Started on the crew compartment , coming along quite nicely , thought I had better lay the paint down, 

light airbrushing of black base with a grey over coat , then grime , lots of grime 

2019-09-14_12-39-25

2019-09-14_12-39-54

Ok not amazing , but a hellva lot better than the empty hole 

2019-09-14_12-40-07

for those interested , i took the general ( very General) look from this kit it the trakz ZSU23-4 crew and interior kit  , i have seen hens teeth easier then trying to find this 

2019-09-14_12-53-03

Well that's where i am now , have fun and a great week end 

• Like 5

Your work is looking very good so far, my friend. I thought the resin interior set was just a myth...

I'm sure you're aware of the Shilka pics in Britmodeller's reference section (some of which were taken by me, admittedly).

Good luck with the rest of your build. I love the look of the Shilka - I've read that - with a good crew - it can be a very effective weapon. 

Cheers. 

Chris.   

13 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Your work is looking very good so far, my friend. I thought the resin interior set was just a myth...

I'm sure you're aware of the Shilka pics in Britmodeller's reference section (some of which were taken by me, admittedly).

Good luck with the rest of your build. I love the look of the Shilka - I've read that - with a good crew - it can be a very effective weapon. 

Cheers. 

Chris.   

Thank you Chris , you can blame Mr Daddow for this 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2019 at 02:32, Miketheexrock said:

Thank you Chris , you can blame Mr Daddow for this 

What! That’s outrageous :frantic: I never touched it, it wasn’t me nor did I know anything about it .... 

We must be due an update, surely? 

Oh how life in the world of PE changes when you treat your self to proper tools , If you do not have one of these take your self out side and beat your self with a wet lettuce , this will change your life when bending PE 

2019-09-24_12-17-36

Proverbially the best £30 i have spent in a long bottom time . Any ways , i will quickly whip over whats been happening. the ZSU 23-4  is rumbling along quite quickly , slowly getting the front all prepped , all the straps and light supports . extremely small and fiddly, especially for a man with finger like pigs tits.  Oh  hmm it will all come together tin the end.     

2019-09-24_12-18-20

2019-09-20_09-51-10

shiny tools - need to remember not to get the nickle plated PE it is such a pain to have to scrap it off then solder (thanks for the freebies Mr D) . 

2019-09-24_12-17-53

had a bit of a frenzy on the  drivers hatch  and area , replaced all the tools with the PE versions , that was fun .

Z

Put a bit more detail on the the inside of the hatch , it look way to empty,  i grab the research piece for you as well in a moment  

2019-09-24_12-15-25

the question is is it wrong to put a single led in here feeding a single  fiber optic to show off the drivers position or not , thoughts on this  ?

well thats' it for today apart for here is the reference photo for the inside of the hatch 

be safe 

Inside zsu

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I layed the colours and hated the pale yellow , had to over lay it with light dusting  of white and also tried attempting a little bit of graduating painting . Then freehanding   some more black to clean it up about . So next week we start on the chipping and weathering of  the tracks. just gentle weathering all over  not going for a rust bucket look .

2019-10-13_01-03-02

2019-10-13_01-02-49

Hope you enjoy , be safe have a good Sunday

• Like 3

So after 3 hours sleep, I thought it would be a good idea to spend 5 hours weathering the ZSU , pigments, oils and all the normal tools . Must have a thing for dirty tanks can never seem to be able to do gentle  subtle weathering . Oh well got to love the slightly grungey look. hope you enjoy

2019-10-14_11-43-06 2019-10-14_11-44-21 2019-10-14_11-44-40

2019-10-14_11-43-22

2019-10-14_11-44-56

2019-10-14_11-45-47

Wouldn' say it's a masterpiece I enjoyed it and learnt a lot on the journey . Need to lear more gentle weathering methods and subtle airbrush techniques. Onwards and upwards 

Thanks for your kind comments, se safe and be happy

• Like 4