Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XIV, or the case of the missing compass (Found!)

Peter Roberts

Okay, so I am building a couple of Airfix Spitfire XIVs - a low and a high back - and I'm building the cockpit, and it's time to install the compass. 

Except, I can't find it. Huh? Check the instructions (now there's an idea) - yep, Section 11 clearly shows the compass there, at the bottom of the instrument panel. 

So back track. Sections 8, 9 and 10 show the installation of the instrument panel. Hang on. NO compass. It just magically appears in Section 11.

Now I've checked and re-checked the sprues, but unless I have removed it and lost it - twice - there is no compass. Correct me if I am wrong.

Or notch another one up for Airfix? (did they not miss the gunsight in the Sea Fury?)

Fortunately I have two Eduard cockpit sets so I have been able to install a compass in each. But this maybe one for the aftermarket companies, for those of us where this is important?

PR

Edited by Peter Roberts

Apologies to Airfix! The compass is on the firewall at the front of the cockpit.

I'll just collect me hat and coat and leave now.

(DOH!)

PR

(though the parts ARE different to the instructions. Okay, I'll close the door on the way out.... )

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Peter Roberts said:

Apologies to Airfix! The compass is on the firewall at the front of the cockpit.

I'll just collect me hat and coat and leave now.

(DOH!)

PR

(though the parts ARE different to the instructions. Okay, I'll close the door on the way out.... )

At least you now have a compass so you can leave in the right direction!

Selwyn

(Ducks for cover yet again!)

• Haha 10