Trumpeter 1/35 KV-1

Roger Newsome

Next up on the bench now I've cleared a bit of space is this.....

IMG_7522

Depending on how it goes I may well include some figures....

IMG_7523

The three figure set is supposed to depict Zinoviy Kolobanov + two other Soviet tank men but I think I should get away with using them as generic Soviet tankies without involving myself in trying to work out exactly what type of KV-1 was used by KoIobanov.

Edited by Roger Newsome
  • Like 9

I have this kit in my stash to do as a captured Finnish one, so I'll be watching on. 

I imagine that Comrade Kolobanov had several KV-1s.  However, he was hospitalised in Sept 41 for the remainder of the war and so would not have used a Model 1942.  But as generic crew they would work well: none of the figures are a good likeness of him anyway.  But I can imagine this group planning their famous ambush at Krasnogvardeysk.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

I have this kit in my stash to do as a captured Finnish one, so I'll be watching on. 

I imagine that Comrade Kolobanov had several KV-1s.  However, he was hospitalised in Sept 41 for the remainder of the war and so would not have used a Model 1942.  But as generic crew they would work well: none of the figures are a good likeness of him anyway.  But I can imagine this group planning their famous ambush at Krasnogvardeysk.

Glad to have you along for the ride, don't be shy if you see me heading towards disaster or have any advice to offer, it'll be much appreciated.

11 hours ago, Liam Harrison said:

You're a machine! 😲

Lol, I plenty of time on my hands at the moment.  

• Like 1

I'm up and running with this. There isn't much to report at the moment but I thought I would share this as it might be of use to anyone else building this kit.

At the beginning of the instruction sheet there is a diagram showing what needs to be drilled or cut out, However not all these are necessary.

This is the diagram for part A27 with my additions to what needs to be cut out and for the insertion of which parts.

If anyone has any questions or requires further clarification please ask. There's a couple of other holes require drilling out but I'll get to those in the next post to avoid confusion.

IMG_7530

IMG_7528 IMG_7529

• Like 3

Hey Roger,

Finished the KV-1s version of this kit at the beginning of the year, looking forward to see how yours turns out. Watch out for the tracks, the instructions were wrong about how many links were needed. 

Regards

Andy

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, coolhand said:

Hey Roger,

Finished the KV-1s version of this kit at the beginning of the year, looking forward to see how yours turns out. Watch out for the tracks, the instructions were wrong about how many links were needed. 

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy, do you remember how many were needed?

Wheels, suspension etc. assembled and added.

A point to note, the torsion bar caps item G7 are the correct ones for this mod KV-1, however an earler alternative, G2, is also included. 

Information from http://www.4bogreen.com/kv-series/plastic-and-resin-kits/1-35-scale/trumpeter/00358-russia-kv-1-model-1942-simplified-turret-tank

A recommended read before setting to work on this kit.

IMG_7536

Tracks next. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Liam Harrison said:

Coming together bloody quick!

Was Andy right? Did you need extra track links? The suspense is killing me!

Thanks Liam.

I'm fortunate to be on a months leave so plenty of time for modelling.

I meant to say about the tracks, it must've slipped my mind. No issues at all, I used the amount as shown in the instructions.

Roger. 

Edited by Roger Newsome