1/12 Hasegawa Suzuki GT380

This is my first bike build of 2019. I normally have finished at least one bike build at this point in the year, but I haven't had much free time to build a kit until now. Hasegawa got the model designation wrong, this bike is a K model not a B, Suzuki had a weird habit of launching models with the letter J and ending not with A but with B, confused? Example, GT750J 1st year of production 1971, followed by GT750K in the 2nd year of production, updates included a move to a single disc front brake, dropping the front drum brake from the 1st model. Anyway, this should be a fun build, looks a great kit with not too many parts. Wish me luck!

pVNk42I.jpg
zLeDX9o.jpg
8NwcqYt.jpg
cb0NSkz.jpg
MCwHy0c.jpg
EyvNAnF.jpg
OFoenvB.jpg
JzlSaz2.jpg
8Sxf2zu.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 7

Strewth!!  I never knew this kit existed so that's another item on the list for Telford

A mate of mine had one when they first came out and we used to swap bikes when out for long rides.  I always found it to be super smooth but not as good as my R5 in the twisty bits.

Looking forward to this one coming to life.

Chris.

6 hours ago, stringbag said:

Strewth!!  I never knew this kit existed so that's another item on the list for Telford

A mate of mine had one when they first came out and we used to swap bikes when out for long rides.  I always found it to be super smooth but not as good as my R5 in the twisty bits.

Looking forward to this one coming to life.

Chris.

Thanks Chris,a KH 400 is also available from Haseagwa in this scale,so another one for Telford !

I love the look of this bike.

I remember back in the late 70s in Reading, seeing a guy in a business suit whizzing up Broad Street on one of these!

I have my eyes on this one at some point...

Cheers, Alan.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lee Chambers said:

Thanks Chris,a KH 400 is also available from Haseagwa in this scale,so another one for Telford !

Behave yourself Lee.  :tease:

Now if you said that there was a Yamaha YR-5 available then I'd be camping on the doorstep the night before.

Chris.

Oh sweet lord, the memories of a seventies kid's two wheel desires flood back.  GT380, KH400, R5, YR-5 all mentioned above; all sweeet.  All back in the day when an R100RS was a sports bike (!) and would smash your wallet for £2999.  Will be watching this one for sure.

8 hours ago, Natter said:

Oh sweet lord, the memories of a seventies kid's two wheel desires flood back.  GT380, KH400, R5, YR-5 all mentioned above; all sweeet.  All back in the day when an R100RS was a sports bike (!) and would smash your wallet for £2999.  Will be watching this one for sure.

Now that brings back a specific memory of riding my purple FS1E and having a gold R100RS pull up along side me with a middle aged bloke nodding hello to me as he grandly cruised by.

• Haha 1

I'll tag along Lee what a great kit and subject,I've rode this and the GT250 back in the day I was very fortunate to own the mighty

GT750 at one stage you can't forget the smell of two stroke and the Red Arrow like trail on a cold morning heading for work!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I never owned a kettle myself, but knew a man who did! My only 2 stroke was a Suzuki X-5, my first bike. Never did get into the 2 stroke thing, especially as the early ones (especially the Kwackers) had a reputation for being more than a little over flexible in corners!

Ian

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I never owned a kettle myself, but knew a man who did! My only 2 stroke was a Suzuki X-5, my first bike. Never did get into the 2 stroke thing, especially as the early ones (especially the Kwackers) had a reputation for being more than a little over flexible in corners!

Ian

Nice one Ian.my first bike was a brand new X5 bought in 1979,any colour as long as it was blue or yellow was the choice given by the dealer.

• Like 2

I'm following this and need to get the kit.

Had three in the 80s including a red frame white bodywork example that flew. Then I got a Kettle and took it to the Bol D'Or, awesome (and expensive) trip. Never had the 550 though and as for the Kwakers well a friend was into them so we agreed to differ :D When time machines are revealed I want to go back to 1983. 

• Like 1

On 13/09/2019 at 00:16, stringbag said:

Strewth!!  I never knew this kit existed so that's another item on the list for Telford . . . 

Echo

I had a '75 version in '78. Bought from a friend who only bought it for his class to take apart and rebuild. He had it done in Candy Apple Red, and made some modifications to it. It went like stink.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Nice one Ian.my first bike was a brand new X5 bought in 1979,any colour as long as it was blue or yellow was the choice given by the dealer.

Mine was yellow. Bought from a friend in 1980 to learn on. My next bike was a GPZ550, the last of the twin shock ones, bought brand new for 1100quid. I loved that and ended up with 2 of them!

Ian

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I'll tag along Lee what a great kit and subject,I've rode this and the GT250 back in the day I was very fortunate to own the mighty

GT750 at one stage you can't forget the smell of two stroke and the Red Arrow like trail on a cold morning heading for work!

Had a very nice GT750J in the early nineties in candy jackel blue,loved that machine,sold it when i bought a NSU 250 Supermax,that was a classy machine.

Just done a ground up restoration on a candy gipsie red 1977 GS750 i might post a pic of it with the finale of this build stay tuned !!

• Like 1

After owning a variety of Kawasaki triples, I too went down the Suzuki stroker line, my first was an X7, (which I loved) to an RG250 and then my absolute favourite, my RG500.  Always liked the GT380, especially when the stock pipes were swapped for something more anti-social.  Can’t think why 2-strokes disappeared. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee Chambers said:

Just done a ground up restoration on a candy gipsie red 1977 GS750 i might post a pic of it with the finale of this build stay tuned !!

Be nice to see that Lee you certainly have the BM biking fraternity on board for this build,I wish I'd photographed my bikes but only have

a few  in the background shot's,the kettle was custom painted metal flake red,the top of the tank was a mural of Nazareth's No mean city

album cover,you know I've never built a bike kit since Airfix's BSA way before I ever rode a bike.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Echo

I had a '75 version in '78. Bought from a friend who only bought it for his class to take apart and rebuild. He had it done in Candy Apple Red, and made some modifications to it. It went like stink.

Would that have been the RD350?  Don't remember the R5 in red.

Sorry for the thread hijack Lee.

Chris.

9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

4 hours ago, stringbag said:

Would that have been the RD350?  Don't remember the R5 in red.

Sorry for the thread hijack Lee.

Chris.

When one rebuilds a bike one can do it any colour one wants; thus the GT ended in Candy Apple Red

Yeah, sorry bout the hi-jacking, but it's your fault for deciding to build such a memorable and favourite motorcycle,  ;)   :P    :lol:

Hi all, just a quick update on the Suzuki, the engine has been painted with Mr Models black primer and then sprayed silver aluminium. The outer engine cases were painted with a Molotow chrome 2mm pen. I painted the tank and side panels in Ford Caymen blue as a basecoat followed by a few coats of Tamiya clear blue, then I 2k clear coated them. Once dry, I added the tank stripes and gave the tank a final 2k clear coat, I only use the hardener to thin the clear as I find adding any thinner can cause alligator skin reactions with 2k products. I decided not to use the decals to cover the tank and side cover badges and just hand painted over the chrome, this gave a more authentic look, as the original tank badges had a clear dark red lacquer applied to the Suzuki inner letters. More updates soon.

GbL1kVC.jpg
pRtqqnr.jpg
f86ybCS.jpg
PgVitIp.jpg
iXDzK3J.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Black Knight said:

When one rebuilds a bike one can do it any colour one wants; thus the GT ended in Candy Apple Red

Yeah, sorry bout the hi-jacking, but it's your fault for deciding to build such a memorable and favourite motorcycle,  ;)   :P    :lol:

Sorry.  For some reason one thought you were referring to the Yamaha.  :tease:

Chris.