Modelling Madness! Smer Walrus.

Hi folks,I looked long and hard for another build and thought I'd let the old kit lunacy continue and see what I could do with the

Smer 1/48 (really 1/50) Walrus,now I did one years ago and have to say it's not a bad kit for £6:99.A good platform for a bit of 

scratchbuilding cockpit wise and edging back into a larger scale too.Once the Kingfisher and Seahawk are done this and the other

one I'm posting will be my "Dark Nights" project.

s-l1600

• Like 9

Hi folks,kit arrived and as stated in the Swordfish thread after a year in 1/72 scale it seems massive.Two things always set the scene

when starting a kit,Canopy condition and fuselage join I can report both are spot on,going to be a challenge no doubt about it but look

forward to starting but not for a week or two.

20190916_132909

• Like 9

It's doable. Here's one I made earlier (at least 25 years ago, back in the days when I didn't do much about seams.) It got dug from deep storage, cleaned and rigged for a Battle of Britain display we did in June.

NOTE: the main gear legs are weak at the axle. Mine broke, so I drilled them, and the wheels, and used wire.

72232be4-17a2-4093-b9e0-bc03077b3ea2.jpg

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

NOTE: the main gear legs are weak at the axle. Mine broke, so I drilled them, and the wheels, and used wire.

Certainly looks a beauty I'll keep an eye out for the wheel leg issue cheers!

Morning folk's not wanting to disturb the family with the airbrush I  had a brush paint session on some build's, a spare half

hour so took a knife and sander to the main parts of the Walrus.Here's the post clean up photo,loads of flash in fact the engine

was covered in it and those awful sprue attachment points now sanded and gone.I've added a bit of evergreen strip just to lift

the flat areas and with paint and a few extra bits should look half decent,a dry run shows nothing worrying but you never Know

what's to come!

20190921_094231

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great start Steve, got the Airfix and Classic Airframes Walruses in the stash and will watch with interest.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris,I did a bit of cleaning up of the Swordfish too which makes this one look Tamiya like,it's gonna be a rough ride compared

to this one.

• Like 2

Morning folk's.Started off  this one,I got the six part upper wing assembled and filled/sanded it's drying nicely.basic painting of the cockpit

started still a bit to do but added tape belts,spare ammunition drums dotted around, scratch built rudder pedals and the folding seat which

sat beside the pilots seat also a fire extinguisher from sprue,need to add and decal IP and really should scratch build a floor for the forward

gun position.

20190924_105216

• Like 9

Morning folk's,I just seem to have lost a bit of Mojo over the last week with no great progress on anything but a push this morning

on the Walrus and the appetite might return,no major issues just lots of dry runs and sanding but the major parts are done,I am 

expecting a bit of stress now as I move onto the mounting of the engine and upper wing.

20190929_112211

• Like 6

Morning folks,engine housing and struts fitted without a hitch and a dry run of the top wing shows a reasonable fit,hopefully

the small engine to upper wing struts will be the same.I've now fitted the wheels and leaving a day or to to thoroughly dry.

IMG-20190930-WA0001

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Natter said:

Errr… how many have you got on the go at any one time?  This one is looking really good so far.

Thank's Natter about nine at the moment in the various GB's which is driving me mad as I'm terrible at pacing builds out over the duration

of the time allowed!

4 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

This is looking very sweet.  A quick one too!

Thanks John for a 1/48 kit it's not to complicated which helps!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folk's a couple of coats of the respective grays applied by brush for a change,hopefully tonight I can get the upper wing painted

and think of the best way of fitting it,A dry run has thrown up a bit of a challenge!

20191014_134545

• Like 10

22 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Wow Steve, she looks excellent!

You have achieved a superb result so far with a very old and very basic kit, just goes to show what can be achieved with some modelling skill.

Many thanks Craig,as I half expected a decal disaster was just around the corner fortunately the major ones are fine but the titles,well you

can see what happened,that said I have spares I can cobble together which look a bit more to scale.

20191015_115629

• Like 3

These decals are starting to infuriate me! I realised the decals I'd used were off the Swordfish and not required as I'm doing the pre war silver

scheme on that build..The correct decals went on fine then promptly disintegrated under a coat of clear! So I'm back to square one and the kit

came close to hitting the wall and I now need to worry if the Swordfish decals although on another sheet will do the same,on a happier note

I did my first E-bay bid today and won so an Airfix 1975 Tomcat boxing will be on the bench in the future all for a tenner.

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

Have you kicked a black cat or something? Never had decals disintegrate when varnished - most odd! Still I suppose there are plenty 1/48 replacements available and they should be close enough size wise.

I still have the old Airfix Tomcat although I have a couple of more modern replacements in my stash. As I recall it built up well although there is the usual "prototype" problem - I seem to remember there is something wrong about the rear of the fuselage as indeed there was with the MRCA/Tornado - not the same as production machines or something like that.

Good luck with the RN decals.

Pete

• Like 1

Sad thing is Pete I have a black cat! this Frog GB malarkey has me wanting to build some oldies without the time constraints of a GB

Tomcat is one now secured but I've put a post in wanted for an A7  Corsair,Viking and Sea King really should add a Phantom to the list

all in that lovely white plastic they used in the seventies!

24 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Have you kicked a black cat or something? Never had decals disintegrate when varnished - most odd! Still I suppose there are plenty 1/48 replacements available and they should be close enough size wise.

• Like 1