Hetzer 38t Snow and Mud

2 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Good job Simon. Including the figs. and the diorama base really adds context to the heavily weathered Hetzer. 👍

I think this is where I need to be headed with my own armour builds.

Thanks roger, this is a pretty old build of mine, ive learned alot about mud but still find it a real pain to get right but it really does help cover mistakes a treat haha. Look forward to seeing your builds

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Simon Errington said:

Thanks roger, this is a pretty old build of mine, ive learned alot about mud but still find it a real pain to get right but it really does help cover mistakes a treat haha. Look forward to seeing your builds

I know what you mean about the weathering. I'm not overly happy with the weathering on my Scimitar but felt if I carried on it would go badly wrong so stopped and made a mental not for the future. If there's one thing a I've learnt it's to go slowly, adding it sparingly, building it up in layers over several days. 

You probably know that though. :D

Plenty of mud is certainly a good remedy for poorly constructed individual link tracks. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Wow one of the most atmospheric photo shoots of a diorama i've ever seen ...almost ghostly........The Hetzer looks every bit a winter battered armoured pill box all that mud snow and rust, and the Grenadiers look fed up and battle weary and really cold.

What an awesome diorama i salute you sir top rate build:goodjob: 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Wow one of the most atmospheric photo shoots of a diorama i've ever seen ...almost ghostly........The Hetzer looks every bit a winter battered armoured pill box all that mud snow and rust, and the Grenadiers look fed up and battle weary and really cold.

What an awesome diorama i salute you sir top rate build:goodjob: 

Thanks . this was the first dio I ever finished when I though yeah ok I like that. It's always on the shelf on display. I really enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This is my favourite, your models and dio's are great. I hope to be able to make mine half as good. Do you have a website with them, so you can see then all in o e spot? If not then it might worth a thought as I'm sure you'd get a lot of traffics.

• Thanks 1

On 26/03/2021 at 15:38, Muchmirth said:

This is my favourite, your models and dio's are great. I hope to be able to make mine half as good. Do you have a website with them, so you can see then all in o e spot? If not then it might worth a thought as I'm sure you'd get a lot of traffics.

Hi, thanks for the compliment. I dont have a website yet but possibly thinking of a blog at some point but I do have a YouTube channel if you'd like to check it out. Not may videos on there atm as not long started but working on one now for a real old tamiya sea harrier which should be up soon. Also keep it up im still not close to some others out there. Link below

https://youtu.be/W7XxCgKFlvA

I'm thinking of doing a project next where I want to winter wear some Soviet armour. What did you use product wise to get this look? Im a total noob to modelling by the way and will be paint brushing. 

Also what did you use for snow in the Dio please?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

I'm thinking of doing a project next where I want to winter wear some Soviet armour. What did you use product wise to get this look? Im a total noob to modelling by the way and will be paint brushing. 

Also what did you use for snow in the Dio please?

I've no idea what product Red Five used for his stunning diorama, but there's various products out there for depicting snow from the likes of "Deluxe Materials" and "Woodland Scenics".

But the best I've ever used is the range from "Precision Ice and Snow". It's amazing stuff.

Here's a link to their website.

https://www.precisioniceandsnow.com/

Hope this helps.

Edited by Cadman
added a comment
  • Like 1

On 02/04/2021 at 03:10, Cadman said:

I've no idea what product Red Five used for his stunning diorama, but there's various products out there for depicting snow from the likes of "Deluxe Materials" and "Woodland Scenics".

But the best I've ever used is the range from "Precision Ice and Snow". It's amazing stuff.

Here's a link to their website.

https://www.precisioniceandsnow.com/

Hope this helps.

The exact stuff I used. I sprinkled it on top of a layer of hair spray. Then snow, hairspray, snow and so on until you get the depth you want. Used masking g tape and paper to cover the areas I didnt want snow. You can also mix it in with a satin clear coat to form a paste and then dab it into nooks and crannies with an old brush to get snow build up. 

• Like 1

Lovely work again mate and the way you’ve shot it really looks like it’s lit purely by moonlight 👍👍

• Thanks 1