Eduard 1/48 Hawker Tempest (the old 2011 one)

Lawzer

Folks,

managed to "steal" this kit from @tank152 :

tempest

When I bought it I didn't realize it comes with a host of extra goodies including this:

tempest2

(pic shamelessly stolen from @Mike's review here:  

Now I have read a few reviews and the like and it seems that at the very least the resin cockpit floor and wheel well roof's need to be sanded to within a micron of their lives in order to fit (which I've confirmed by taping the resin together then inserting into the fuselage halves then the lower wing with well wells taped).  

Now the question is has anyone built this particular boxing and can confirm if the resin does actually fit?  I've sanded the cockpit floor as much as I can but still not convinced it'll fit (vertically)  and the instruction says to "cut/sand to fit" the new resin cockpit into the fuselage by removing the existing side wall detail and probably even some of the new resin sidewalls - does it indeed fit if you cut/sand?

I don't really want to sand off the existing "detail" in case the resin is just too much trouble to use (as let's be honest even on a 1/24 typhoon very little of the cockpit can really be seen) and I end up using the original plastic parts.....

TIA!

Ian

• Like 1

Try this Ian

Does have some info on this

note the links to some tweaks of mine.

IMO, worrying about the resin bits if you don't do something about the main airframe errors is 'lipstick on a pig'  but the tweaks are not that hard.

HTH

T

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Try this Ian

Does have some info on this

note the links to some tweaks of mine.

IMO, worrying about the resin bits if you don't do something about the main airframe errors is 'lipstick on a pig'  but the tweaks are not that hard.

HTH

T

Many thanks @Troy Smith ! 👍  Included with the kit was the alleycat replacement tail but up to now I wasn't even considering attempting it.  I knew about the wings needing thinned down and obviously the resin parts issue with the wheel wells but it seems this one may be a pain in the proverbial.....

Think I may just go for the "original" kit parts for the cockpit (as I said nearly nothing will be seen) as I have a 'orrible feeling using the resin may multiply the build time by quite a factor......

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

I built this boxing earlier this year:

Suffice to say the resin cockpit can be used however you have to raise the floor quite a bit to avoid fouling the gear bays. I shortened the sidewalls and made a new floor from plasticard, painted it black and placed the floorboards over it. Looks fine from the outside, especially as the cockpit opening is so small.

I bought the Alleycat resin tail but elected not to use it as I don’t think it looks right. Using the plans from the Valiant Wings book I did a cut and shut job using plasticard. I also thinned the vertical tail as this area is way too thick on the old mould Tempest.

Hope this helps!

Chris

• Thanks 1

Cheers Chris @airbus320 ! 👍

i’ll check Out your thread before I decide how to proceed.

the “floor” has so much detail but as you say very little is seen.  It’s certainly one of those “I know it’s there” situations!

ian

• Like 1

The Alleycat tail was a fairly poor fit on mine both at the join with the kit fuselage parts but also the tailpost was bent and needed a lot of remedial work.

Just sharpening the dorsal fin doesn't fix the tail though. The tailplane should give a fairly obvious humped appearance under the dorsal fin which Alleycat's tail does fix. Cutting away the kit's dorsal fin entirely and making a new spine from plasticard to pack out would be the way I'd go if I were to build another of these.

The cockpit parts from my (earlier) boxing did fit fine however.

• Thanks 1