Ancient mariner

Lord Riot

So here we go; I've been looking forward to starting this although I know it's not exactly the most accurate representation of a Buccaneer. I think it'll need a bit of extra attention and some cutting and filing. On opening the box I may even be tempted to buy some aftermarket parts for the first time! Let's have a look at the evidence ...

Some might say the best part of this kit is the beautiful box art.

spacer.png

It certainly isn't the decals! I'll need to find some of those pink and pale blue ones like white V-bombers had. And a few more besides.

I like how you can fold the wings and nose, but I'll need some plastic card to fill the airbrakes so I can have them open too, and probably some kind of radar dish if the nose is going to open?

spacer.png

Look how thin the wheels are! They look like bike tyres.

spacer.png

The canopy hasn't aged well. I fear it's unusable. 

spacer.png

And finally, a scary nuke! Not sure if I'll use it or leave the swivel bomb bay empty. 

spacer.png

So I have my work cut out, but let's see how it goes. When it's all done, I want it to look like this:

spacer.png

• Like 8

That was when I built my first one

Came into F.W.Woolworth in a box for the first time and my mom said "OK just this time" and spent some of her meagre housekeeping so I could build the new kit

I remember the little jar of Gold Airfix paint I used on the radome because it was on the instructions

Blue top white bottom, takes me back a long way, this model.

• Like 2

Taking inspiration from @perdu's superb S1 conversions, I've fashioned some Gyron Junior engine pipes from garden canes. I'll paint them with Humbrol 56 and try and add a bit of detail once I can work out where to fit them so they don't cover the oleo fitting points.

spacer.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Taking inspiration from @perdu's superb S1 conversions, I've fashioned some Gyron Junior engine pipes from garden canes. 

👍Proper modelling!

Maybe we should rate conversion/modification builds with their own dedicated points scales.  We could call them Ellis points or Scarborough points?

Edited by Vicarage Vee
  • Haha 1

I've got that kit to. I used a pair of Evergreen plasticard tubes for the intakes and all the way back to the "nozzle's" making them to "engines" as well. But the biggest problem was the not so cymetrical shape of the fuselage and the much too long engine nozzle's. So it was put back in the box after hours of cutting, filling, fairing and sanding.

But I didn't completely gave up and following your build with interest!

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 2

A bit more work this morning, filing a bit of flat space behind the jetpipe and cut a couple of exhaust deflector plates. 

It's just a dry fit at this stage to check things out, the fuselage halves are still a way off being stuck together yet!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 7

A rather unlikely combination ...

spacer.png

But once filed and cut, the tips of some random missiles make great RWR bullets!

spacer.png

Just a bit of smoothing needed once the glue is dry and they should be reasonably ok.

• Like 9

On to the swivel bomb bay, and a great deal of artistic licence used here as I had no S1 bomb bay images. I relied on the S2 bomb bay photos then kind of followed a bit what I thought it looked like and utilised a few bits of wire and plastic for the interior. It'll hardly be seen as it's underneath, but I might display it open if it turns out ok. I used a Canberra bomb door as the main interior as the kit one was very basic.

I'm guessing the interior is all light grey?

I still haven't decided whether to put anything inside yet. What stores would be realistic for an S1 circa 1963?

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Nice to see this old kit get some TLC.  I think it's closer to the NA39 prototype than an operational S1. It's always nice to see the different styles in which BM members approach making over these old kits. You get extra points for "first use of garden cane"!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Continuing with the Bucc, and a HUGE thank you to @Scimitar for a plethora of spares and decals for improving this kit. You're a gentleman sir, I hope the build does your generosity justice.

Included in the box of goodies were some sets of wings, far superior to the fat Airfix ones in the old kit. I filed the tips as per the instructions for an S.1.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Lots of interior to build from various bits. I can't believe how hollow the original would look otherwise! I guess it was good for 1960, with the folding wings and nose.

I've made a nosewheel bay and hole to fit the new oleo into. I'll need to make some cockpit interior stuff too.

spacer.png

Lots done inside that'll hardly be seen except the swivel bomb bay interior. Need to plug all those gaps though. There'll be more paint on the inside than out! It looks a mess but once the fuselage is glued together it should hopefully just look dark inside.

spacer.png

• Like 4