Sea Hawk FGA6, WV867 /167-C, 806 NAS, HMS Centaur, 1955

Having discarded the Airfix Sea Hawk I thought the MPM kit might be marginally better. It took a bit of prepping to get it reasonable, including blocking up the inside of the fuselage so you don't see through across the intakes. 

It's also very thick plastic with chunky joins between sprues and parts, but they file down ok. It needed quite a bit of nose weight, I just about squeezed in three small lead balls. Colours are EDSG upper and Humbrol 80 lower, both from spray cans. The tail bullet fairing is gloss black. Despite the photos there is an ejector seat, it just seems to sit really low in the cockpit!

The decals included in the kit are pretty good, nice colours and well printed. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 19

That's a super looking Seahawk with a nice, smooth paint finish.   Such a handsome aircraft and a a great 'family' shot. Cold War jest and Royal Navy to boot.  What's not to like?  Interested, and a little surprised, to hear that the MPM kit needs to have the intake/exhaust blocked up to avoid the see through look.  I have built the Hobby Boss kit in this scale which has a compressor blade arrangement which avoids this.  Goes together well too.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Meatbox8, it's a great era of aviation isn't it, so many types and colours. 

I'm not sure how bad the intakes would have been but I didn't want to take the chance. It wasn't so much through as across which I thought may been see-through, so I put the block just behind the cockpit. There's no compressor blade in the kit though, nor even any drop tanks!

• Like 1

Just now, Lord Riot said:

Thanks @Meatbox8, it's a great era of aviation isn't it, so many types and colours. 

I'm not sure how bad the intakes would have been but I didn't want to take the chance. It wasn't so much through as across which I thought may been see-through, so I put the block just behind the cockpit. There's no compressor blade in the kit though, nor even any drop tanks!

That's interesting about the lack of drop tanks.  A bit stingy of them. I seem to remember the box artwork for the Special Hobby release, I'm assuming it is the same plastic, depicts a Suez machine which had been hit in one of its tanks which was missing its nose.  Based on a real event, I believe.