Help needed to add aging to a paint job

Adchap

Well I have not made a model for over 30 years and this is my first attempt. This is my first foray into using an airbrush and acrylics. I used Vallejo  model air for this build. I didn’t realise how things have moved on and the detail now included. Any ideas how to add aging to the paint so it doesn’t look like new would be appreciated.

I have a 1/48 P-51d tamiya mustang 8th AF or a Messerschmitt Bf109E-4/7 Trop and can’t decide which to do next ?

1 hour ago, Adchap said:

Well I have not made a model for over 30 years and this is my first attempt. This is my first foray into using an airbrush and acrylics. I used Vallejo  model air for this build. I didn’t realise how things have moved on and the detail now included. Any ideas how to add aging to the paint so it doesn’t look like new would be appreciated.

I have a 1/48 P-51d tamiya mustang 8th AF or a Messerschmitt Bf109E-4/7 Trop and can’t decide which to do next ?

Have you done  a build, which is how the first part reads, or are you doing a build, and want advice?

Ageing paint,  well, always worth bearing in mind that many planes had short service lives, and never got that faded.

but, first, study photos,  there are now plenty of period colour shots on the net, (beware of colourised B/W pics though)  and my advice is to pick a subject and look closely at that. I'll  to find some links, but for US there is a site on the 8th AF in Briatin that has loads, and there is a site of WW2 Luftwaffe colour.

DO NOT look at models, there are way too many 'artistic' models, which create a negative feedback loop of over done effects.

Ageing paint can be done in many ways. 

Post shading of the base colours with lighter versions misted over.

filter washes.

chalk pastels. 

Or combinations of the above.  

Due a variety of very boring factors, I really don't get much done modelling wise, and as such I did make an effort earlier this to actually blinkin' finish something.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235053609-airfix-172-hurricane-mki-fabric-wing-oob/

I used an oil wash,  a dirty grey to avoid the 'die cast' look of stark black, and  used some chalk pastels over the matt coat to fade some parts, this can be removed with a damp cloth, which makes it a good method, also for exhaust stains, and some oils for oil stains.  And some period colour for comparison.

There are far better build and paint jobs on here, but I did try to document what I used, how i did it, and why, using reference pics.  It maybe of some use.  

Also well worth a look on youtube for techniques,  as there are some detailed vids, but bear in mind my comment abort looking at the real thing, as opposed to models.

just a quick example, purely as I can find it fast

14780326836_be4424d2a4_b.jpgRCAF Spitfire V,  1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Faded desert Spitfire

useful as there is fresh dark earth and Middle Stone  next too the faded paints,  along with the minor chipping and weathering.

more Spitfire colour here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

I'll see if I can find a 8th AF P-51

EDIT http://www.littlefriends.co.uk

great site, massive listings,  in the case of US aircraft,  you will often find photos online of a specfic aircraft.  if not. ask in the WWII section.

and desert 109 later,

here's a load of photos

https://www.asisbiz.com/Bf-109E.html

the famous E7 trop images are the JG27 ones

Black 8 of III/JG 27 is popular in kits because of this

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E7Trop-8.JG27-Black-

In field repaint, note the light blue square behind the swastika

there is a load of badly organised Luftwaffe colour here

Luftwaffe Kriegsmarine

German paint was of good quality, and while it did fade, it held up well, here's a bleached out derelict in Tunisia

30572752628_9bd8703fd7_b.jpgMe Bf 109 JEC 03913 by Jeffrey Ethell Collection, on Flickr

there are some other desert finish planes in the link, mainly Bf110's,  which may help for general feel

HTH

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/u2mv6iwrpq1eyx2/AAC9_pqdRGTDmGFzIgtK3Jiua

Hi Troy,

thanks for for all your help and advice. I have built the Lancaster and it has a lovely fresh paint job (not sure how to post pics in here ) and I just wanted to add a few details to make it look less new and more authentic. I will take your advice and do some online research. I only have a phone and not a computer so I am struggling to upload a few photos I took of my work. Any ideas? 

Edited by Adchap

Hmm, I didn't think Dropbox would work as an image host.... but I went to the link, went to a photo,  and right clicked , 'copy image url' 

and the pasted this...

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

So, that works, but maybe not on a phone, or easily on a phone.  

Images need to hosted SOMEWHERE online, so it seems Dropbox will work.   

HTH

Hi chris, I just used what I had and a little artistic license. It was never going to be 100%accurate. This is the first thing I have done in over 30years and was more about the techniques rather than exact colouring.

Due to having 3 massive spinal operations and a reduced movement, this was more about wether or not I could still make things. 

My my next project a P-51D will be much more accurate with regards to colourings and camouflage etc.

Adam

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adchap said:

Hi chris, I just used what I had and a little artistic license. It was never going to be 100%accurate. This is the first thing I have done in over 30years and was more about the techniques rather than exact colouring.

Due to having 3 massive spinal operations and a reduced movement, this was more about wether or not I could still make things. 

My my next project a P-51D will be much more accurate with regards to colourings and camouflage etc.

Adam

Alright then. I was just curious.

Chris