1 72 scale Me 163 comet crash dio

bazer

Hi,guys I suppose this should be on the aircraft  site but always post on this one .Built this a while back I have started to post some of my older models ,my first aircraft build for 35 years! I saw a model built a while back with just the crashed comet and wanted to build one but adding more with the finding of the crash.
I removed all flying surfaces from wings and altered positions also removed some panels and added the machine gun showing where wing is ripped off , altered pilot to look injured, added a nosey sheep.

DSCN7086 DSCN7082 57a610484c06b_cometcrash1(13).jpg.f7a14e195377ca70d607d9fe72fd63d1 57a60e15cc210_cometcrash1(10).jpg.cc9a7f515ee94932d50525f18faac4e4 57a60d6bed76e_cometcrash1(9).jpg.84b02ee923ec06092e53555a83158749 57a608380ce5b_cometcrash1(1).jpg.aa6751c6514be8207a9921ddc449892d 57a60c231f816_cometcrash1(7).jpg.d19e7f8879a85629df777da9b335bdbc 57a60a2b73a70_cometcrash1(4).jpg.3fe591691d8258b155f97574d88f5e56 57a60ad7202d3_cometcrash1(5).jpg.2d144ded996cfa2d36d0c20fa5747e1c

• Like 25

Hi Bazer

Utterly fantastic dio at that scale. It would be an untterly fantastic dio in 1/35th. It's definitely the best 1/72nd dio I have ever seen. Your groundwork is superb, the grass, clumps of vegetation etc,  and with the skid marks, ruts, and mounds of pushed up earth, it looks very believable and realistic.

The only things I'd change are the fence posts. They do look rather thick,, more like tree trunks than posts. I'm trying to think what I would use in their stead. In 1/35th a cocktail stick is what I'd use, but even then they are a bit thick for that scale. At 1/72nd I'm thinking something as thin as a darning needle would be right.

Oooh, I just thought of what I'd use:  those woodlike bristles from a yard brush/broom. For the wire I'd use the finest braided fishing line I could find, something like 6lb breaking strain would be maybe twice the thickness of a human hair.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting the above, but appreciate that I wrote it because myself would like some criticism and suggestions for my own dios/builds but rarely get any. Hopefully, you are the same.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Bazer

Utterly fantastic dio at that scale. It would be an untterly fantastic dio in 1/35th. It's definitely the best 1/72nd dio I have ever seen. Your groundwork is superb, the grass, clumps of vegetation etc,  and with the skid marks, ruts, and mounds of pushed up earth, it looks very believable and realistic.

The only things I'd change are the fence posts. They do look rather thick,, more like tree trunks than posts. I'm trying to think what I would use in their stead. In 1/35th a cocktail stick is what I'd use, but even then they are a bit thick for that scale. At 1/72nd I'm thinking something as thin as a darning needle would be right.

Oooh, I just thought of what I'd use:  those woodlike bristles from a yard brush/broom. For the wire I'd use the finest braided fishing line I could find, something like 6lb breaking strain would be maybe twice the thickness of a human hair.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting the above, but appreciate that I wrote it because myself would like some criticism and suggestions for my own dios/builds but rarely get any. Hopefully, you are the same.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks for comments  Badder I agree with you about posts and wire i used cocktail sticks ,they look ok when  viewing   model  but are way to thick in enlarged photos will be aware of this in future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bazer said:

Thanks for comments  Badder I agree with you about posts and wire i used cocktail sticks ,they look ok when  viewing   model  but are way to thick in enlarged photos will be aware of this in future. 

Hi Bazer,

Happy to help. It's so often the case that photos show up our little oversights, mistakes, and sometimes great big bloopers that the naked eye didn't see..... like gluing on an entire tank turret upside down! 🤣 

Seriously though, when I'm making my dioramas and vehicles, I photograph them a lot and also zoom in just to see how they look on screen, and if they don't look right I change them. Funnily, and maybe it's down to my camera, they look much better zoomed in that they do by the naked eye!

Personally, I would change the fence if it were mine, because it's such a fantastic dio, and it would raise it to the highest of calibres. I'm sure you'll be thinking about it over the coming months and years and looking at it, I don't think it would be a difficult job. BTW braided fishing line is excellent for barbed wire, what with it being ...er ... braided. It's reasonably cheap, 5 quid upwards. You can get it in short lengths of 25m up to 100m, the latter will last a lifetime. I use it for barbed wire, and ropes for tying down stowage, but it would also serve well for rigging on sailing ships (model ones, not real ones!)

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

2 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Bazer,

Happy to help. It's so often the case that photos show up our little oversights, mistakes, and sometimes great big bloopers that the naked eye didn't see..... like gluing on an entire tank turret upside down! 🤣 

Seriously though, when I'm making my dioramas and vehicles, I photograph them a lot and also zoom in just to see how they look on screen, and if they don't look right I change them. Funnily, and maybe it's down to my camera, they look much better zoomed in that they do by the naked eye!

Personally, I would change the fence if it were mine, because it's such a fantastic dio, and it would raise it to the highest of calibres. I'm sure you'll be thinking about it over the coming months and years and looking at it, I don't think it would be a difficult job. BTW braided fishing line is excellent for barbed wire, what with it being ...er ... braided. It's reasonably cheap, 5 quid upwards. You can get it in short lengths of 25m up to 100m, the latter will last a lifetime. I use it for barbed wire, and ropes for tying down stowage, but it would also serve well for rigging on sailing ships (model ones, not real ones!)

Rearguards,

Badder

The Badder, I will be looking to change it now.

What's the German for "you might want to wash the upholstery and launder my flight suit, fellas"?

As noted above, Komet crashes usually resulted in a massive fireball and assorted small fragments spread over a wide area with no survivors - or even any evidence that they were ever there.  The full tanks were full of liquified compressed gas and the empty tanks were full of vapour, both highly energetic.  Even sparks from the landing skid could set them off.  This guy was uber-lucky.  As were the B17s as his ammo trays are still full.

• Like 1

Great diorama. I really do like these and this is an excellent example. It’s interesting to contemplate what is going on. In this one I would like to think the two characters in the kubelwagen are thinking will the damn thing blow up or is it safe to get closer

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2019 at 22:03, Das Abteilung said:

What's the German for "you might want to wash the upholstery and launder my flight suit, fellas"?

Something like "Wascht mal besser die Polster ab, Jungs, und meine Fliegerkombi gleich mit" 😁

Great work bazer!

• Like 2