Trumpeter 1/35 96K6 Pantsir-S1AMDGS

magman2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 9/11/2019 at 2:07 PM, magman2 said:

Trumpeter  1/35 96K6 Pantsir-S1AMDGS 🇷🇺

I just had to add, the  Trumpeter  1/35 96K6 Pantsir-S1AMDGS to my Pantsir collection.

The Trumpeter kit, looks good and the fire control unit has an Interior. 👍

If you you’re collecting Pantsirs, might we ask which one you think is the best?  I like the look  of some of the new Russian kit, not sure how good it is operationally, but I fancy doing something different and the recent Pantsir releases have caught my eye.

• Like 1

Operationally it’s down to the the user,

as operating Russian equipment, has never been at it’s best by Middle East users.

The best kit in my opinion is the Meng Models kit ,as you have the choice of different versions with Radar mast equipment.

The other kits you only have one choice 

all will make an impressive Model.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I've got the older Trumpeter one in my stash. The RLM SOC radar is a ncie addition but i'm building the bog-standard one. Got it for EUR22 new which was a very good price. 

Anyway, could I please canvass your opinions and humbly seek your advice on something please? I’m in a bit of a quandary.

After recent chastening experiences at farking up camo on a Tamiya Hummel so badly it almost ruined the whole model, I’m a bit hesitant to go after the Arctic scheme. I got a bit brave and creative and it was dreadful. This Arctic scheme looks very difficult. Also I find Tamiya white tough to work with and it’ll be difficult to get a really nice realistic finish.

The alternative would be a desert yellow all in one scheme which I am very confident I could do a great job on with highlighting and shadowing etc. It’s a part of my modeling game I’ve improved a lot on and reckon I’d do a great job. I’ve discovered that if you water down the highlight layers more than the base coat and use a dry brush to blend it in, you can get amazing results.  I'm really into it. Am building a Meng Buk right now and absolutely loving the fun you can have with one base colour and really going to town on the high and lowlights, lightering up sections etc. I reckon a desert yellow Pantsir would be a nice vehicle to really push the envelope with, if perhaps a little boring in terms of end result. 

I agree the Arctic one is more interesting to look at - subjectively - but I think perhaps beyond my capabilities to do it right and make it look good. I'm just not that good yet. 

But **IF** I did do the Arctic one, how would I actually go about it?

It’s not just a case of spraying the whole thing white (Tamiya rattle can perhaps even) and then adding grey and black camo and doing the highlighting afterwards, is it?

I’m thinking black primer, mask off the black camo parts then base coat of light grey. Mask these off then do the white. As you’re supposed to go dark to light, right?

And how would you mask the camo markings? Thin Tamiya tape or putty?

Or do I prime in light grey with some darker grey shadows added and then have a white base layer, and add the camo after?

Really not sure how to approach this one.

Any thoughts guys?

Easy Desert or Extremely hard Arctic?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 6:48 PM, John_drummer said:

I always go light to dark, so I’d paint the white first, then grey, then black.

it’ll be interesting to see how yours turns out as I have a Zvezda Pantsir to do

I'll post on here when i have started on it. Its going to be a huge challenge.