Another Tamiya M113

Hamden

10 hours ago, Dads203 said:

At this rate you’ll be overtaking me ;)

Don't think there's much chance of me overtaking you Dan, although I'm NOT putting the amount detail in that you are!

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

Well not done much lately as the whole family has been ill stopping a last minute planned trip to Telford. Enough waffle and excuses the little I have done is on the engine and to this end I have taken the scratch build of the Detroit Diesel 6V53 as far as my skills will allow, not much will be visable once the hull is put together just through the engine cover front. The gearbox also had to be modified as the M113 didn't have the large piece on the top as per the kit moulding.

IMG-0302.jpg

IMG-0303.jpg

and dry fitted in place to check for fit and alignment

IMG-0304.jpg

IMG-0305.jpg

and with the top armour rested in place

IMG-0306.jpg

IMG-0307.jpg

What are your thoughts will the engine be good enough or do I just seal up the engine cover?

Many thanks for dropping by your time is appreciated

Roger

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Flyingdutchman said:

From what period will the M113 be?

I'm trying to reprosent the M113 which is part of The Bovington Museum running fleet which I had the pleasure of driving a couple of time between 2011 and 2014 so there will not be any add on's or stowage.

Roger

This one

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89987501@N03/28689183061/

Edited by Hamden
Link added
  • Like 2

Another week gone by and small progress made. First off I realised that the two external fuel tanks were missing a very important feature - the fuel filler caps!

The kit only has one filler cap as the version reprosented only has a single tank so it was time to break out the plastercine and make eight or nine impressions of the kit supplied cap and filling these with resin in the hope I might get a couple of usable caps. I think I've got two that are useable and these have been CA'd in place.

IMG-0309.jpg

The hull top has also been fitted in place after the commander and jump seats had been put in place, starting to look like a M113 now

IMG-0310.jpg

This has led to work on the commanders coupola and the last picture shows the the brass internal handles in place on the inside of the commanders hatch

IMG-0311.jpg

Work is slowly progressing on this area more soon, THANKS for stopping by 

Roger

• Like 3

Not much bench time lately but a little progress has been made, some unwanted mounting holes in the hull roof have been filled, the commanders coupola has had the periscope guards added as has the drivers sights. I've also started to scratch the brackets on the right hand side of the hull which I think hold the track grousers but I'm happy to be corrected on that!

IMG-0312.jpg

IMG-0313.jpg

I have also aquired these to replace the kit items which are not the correct pattern or very detailed

IMG-0314.jpg

In the pictures below the kit track(rubber band) is the top one, the AFV one is better detailed as well the correct pattern for my vehicle although still of the rubber band type

IMG-0315.jpg

IMG-0316.jpg

Hope to do some more over the weekend but time will tell. Hope all your projects are progressing well and thanks for stopping by

Roger

• Like 5

Hi Roger, it seems that you have had a "hard battle with the PEs", they take me out of my mind, especially when it comes to joining them to the plastic, fortunately, when they have a layer of paint on top, it is no longer noticeable if they are PEs or plastic ... 
Cheers Roger 👍

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and best wishes for the New Year 

Not much time at the bench lately what with Christmas and the news that my wifes sister has been diagnosed with cancer but I have managed a little work on this one. The hull has been given a coat of NATO green primer to check the bits for seems etc. I have also made and fitted the front and rear indicator side/tail lights housings and exterior left hand fire ex: pull housing from brass, the top hatch over the rear troop compartment and drivers hatch has also been put in place.

The pics show the hull in primer with some of the brass detail in place and also the start of one of the rear brass lights fittings

IMG-0317.jpg

IMG-0318.jpg

IMG-0319.jpg

Hope to get a little bench time in the coming weeks. Until then thanks for looking more soon I hope

Roger

• Like 5

Nice work on the brass elements Roger. I hope all goes well with your wife's sister, we got that very message a couple of months ago and luckily it looks like she's on the mend.

• Thanks 1

Looks like you might be pipping me to the post with you build Roger, it’s looking rather good with the green primer on fella, noticed that you have the same issue with the engine hatch as I do. I think the radiator is to far to close the hull side and it’s throwing out the geometry just a touch. I fitted my hatch and the pressure just pinged off the radiator so I think I’ll have to modify the mounting to give a few mm extra clearance. Might be worth investigating mate? 

Hope all goes well with the wife’s sister, bloody cancer.... Spent the last Christmas with my Mum because of this horrible nasty disease that needs to wiped of the face of this planet. 

Regards

Dan 

• Thanks 1

Don't expect to finish before you Dan ( @Dads203) I didn't notice the misalignment of the engine cover so thanks for pointing it out. Don't think I can do anything about it now as it's well and truely glued in place and with the photo etch around I'd rather not take the risk of knocking/breaking it off, so I'll just live with it.

Roger

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry no pics: on progress but some has been made. The hatches, wheels and tracks have been added and the vehicle has recieved its green top coat.

Hope to get some more done over the weekend together with some pics:

Roger

Ok some better weather this morning so managed an hour at the bench and took some pics: the lower hull below the tracks has been weathered a bit but as it's a museum vehicle it won't be overly dirty. Any way here's the progress pics:

IMG-0320.jpg

IMG-0321.jpg

IMG-0322.jpg

IMG-0323.jpg

IMG-0324.jpg

IMG-0325.jpg

Hope to do a bit more later 

Thanks for dropping by it's very much appreciated

Roger

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

OK last update for this one, I still have a little more weathering to do but it's more or less done.

Thanks for following along, your time is very much appreciated

IMG-0326.jpg

IMG-0327.jpg

IMG-0328.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

Think its turned out reasonably well again thanks for keeping me company I have another project in mind but need to do a little more research before I start.

Roger

• Like 4

Thanks for your help and comments Dan (@Dads203) Looking forward to seeing yours completed as and when you have the time.

As for whats next look out for an AA conversion based on a CR1, this another vehicle that I've worked on/driven whilst working for ABRO/DSG.

Roger

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hamden said:

Thanks for your help and comments Dan (@Dads203) Looking forward to seeing yours completed as and when you have the time.

As for whats next look out for an AA conversion based on a CR1, this another vehicle that I've worked on/driven whilst working for ABRO/DSG.

Roger

Looking forward to seeing that Roger :thumbsup:

• Like 1