Another Tamiya M113

Hamden

As @Terry1954 asked I'm starting another WIP this time I'm planning on doing a reprosentation of Bovington Tank Museum's running fleet Canadian M113 APC. This won't be detailed to the level of the M113 being built on this forum by Dan( @Dads203) It is another of the museum's vehicles that I have had the privilage to drive so probably won't have too many of the hatches open but I may change my mind who knows!. I'm going to use the old Tamiya M113 as the basis and have also got the Eduard photo etch set to work with, anyway here is the kit box art and two of the three photo etch frets, I'm not going to bother with sprue shots as I'm preety sure Dan has already covered them.

IMG-0275.jpg

IMG-0276.jpg

IMG-0277.jpg

Work will start soon thanks for stopping by

Roger

• Like 9

OK made a small start on this one, the final drives, idlers and road wheel assemblies have been put together and left in a safe(?) place ready to fitted to the hull. I have removed the floor plate mouldings from the floor section and replaced them with four replacement photo-etched pieces. The seats in the rear are poorly moulded and I have cut new seat bases in readiness to scratch replacements. I have also soldered the first of the seat support pieces, not looking forward to doing the rest! @Dads203 has my total respect after having seen the ones he has done for his and appreciate the fiddleness due to the size of the pieces that need to folded and soldered!

IMG-0278.jpg

IMG-0279.jpg

IMG-0280.jpg

I haven't bothered showing all the wheels, idlers and final drives as if you've seen one you've seen them all!

Thanks for stopping by, not much done but it's a start!

Roger

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Canadian eh, is there any difference between the US one

There are suttle differences between U.S. and Canadian 113's, the one I want to replicate has external tanks on the rear of the hull which the kit does not have. 

This is a museum example so some kit that would be fitted to an operational example is missing also the kit depicts the earlier petrol engine version where as the one I am basing my model on has the Detroit Diesel 6V53 engine fitted so wether I attempt to scratch build an engine/gearbox unit or just seal up the engine bay I haven't yet decided. More work on this soon.

Roger

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well after looking at @Dads203 build and loosing a little mojo I have gone back to this project although not much done it has wetted my appetite for more!

So what have I done? whilst still deciding on wether or not to try and scratch a Detroit Diesel 6V53 engine I have started by fitting the cooling fan, radiator and air cleaner/filter to the hull top panal to get some idea of the amount of space into which to fit the pack. I have added the p.e. to the radiator, cooling fan and air cleaner.

IMG-0286.jpg

Next up was to start fabricating the external fuel tanks one each side of the rear drop down door as you can see at the moment I have only made and fitted the side skins for each tank next time hopefully the rest of construction of the tanks will be done

IMG-0284.jpg

IMG-0285.jpg

As always thanks for looking in more on this soon

Roger

• Like 5

Thanks for the likes and comment all very much appreciated.

Right more ork done on the rear tanks, both have been skinned and the welded armoured plates added over the skinning, the tank access plates have been cut out of the armoured plates and the filler caps have not yet been manufactured.

IMG-0287.jpg

IMG-0288.jpg

IMG-0289.jpg

The last picture shows the right hand tank with its skinning in place ready for the armour plate, the other two pictures show the left hand tank with the armour skins in place and the access panal cut out. I have also started to try and produce a reprosentation of the Detroit Diesel 6V53, if it doesn't work out then the engine bay will be sealed shut, time will tell which way this goes.

Thanks for stopping by 

Roger

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Ripaman said:

look forward to you presentation of the Detroit Diesel

Me too, I will put up a pic: of the results wether it's usable or not!

Thanks for looking in Richard very much appreciate your time to look in

Roger

Thanks for all the likes and comments, they're very much appreciated.

I've started to put some of the photo etch detail inside and am very much in awe of the work done by Dan @Dads203 on his M113, these few pieces really tried my patience!

The panals in the pictures are only dry fitted so are'nt looking to straight or level at the moment.

IMG-0290.jpg

IMG-0291.jpg

Work has started on the Detroit Diesel but is very rough and not looking anything like what it should, more on this later

Thanks for stopping by

Roger

• Like 7

Ivan-o thanks for your kind comment.

I don't have a Canadian conversion set, the vehicle I'm trying to reprosent is a museum example and as such some bits are missing. I do have the photo etch set that @Dads203 is using anything else will have to be scratch built. If you Google Bovington Tank Museum M113 you will find pictures of this vehicle.

Roger

• Thanks 1

Coming along nicely Roger, just a touch of PE can really lift a build. The Eduard set for the M113 is one of their 

more useful sets and most of it can be used to good effect as you have shown in the drivers compartment.

Are you going to fill the old carpet crawler holes around the front final drives ?

Regards

Dan 

3 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Are you going to fill the old carpet crawler holes around the front final drives ?

Thanks for the kind comments Dan, yes filling in around the final drives is on my to do list.

Roger

• Like 1

Ok a little done on the engine I'm trying to replicate, a Detroit Diesel 6V53 and I would like your opinion as to wether it's worth carrying on along this path or just sealing up the pack compartment.

First pic: shows the kit engine in place at least the block and inlet manifold

IMG-0292.jpg

Second pic: the same view but with my basic block without any manifolds etc

IMG-0293.jpg

The last pic: shows the two basic blocks together for comparision 

IMG-0296.jpg

Apoligies for the poor pictures, I hope you can see enough to comment image below is of a 6V53 for comparision

https://images.app.goo.gl/cNEPSkaiM8nZavwdA

Thanks in advance for any comments one way or the other and for stopping by

Roger

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another week gone, a little more done.

First off the engine has progressed a little further with some more shaping of the basic block and the front pullys and front engine mount added together with the inlet manifold

IMG-0300.jpg

IMG-0301.jpg

and dry fitted for size

IMG-0297.jpg

Instrument panal, fire ex: bracket and night sight mounting fitted and some colour has appeared on the insides of the hull

IMG-0298.jpg

IMG-0299.jpg

Thanks for looking your time is appreciated

Roger

• Like 4