Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Giorgio N

A Birthday Spitfire - Eduard 1/72 Mk.IXc

Recommended Posts

Here's my latest completed model, built from the lovely 1/72 Eduard kit. It's a model that actually languished on the shelf of doom mostly assembled but not painted for quite a while, then this year I finally grabbed and completed it as MK126 of 126 Sqn in late 1944

I call this a Birthday Spitfire as I choose the markings around my B'day in July. As my name is Giorgio, it made sense to build a model of an aircraft that carried G as individual letter...

Decals came from Xtradecal sheet 72-110, and proved mostly good, with some problems. Most important is that the G on the rudder is represented in white but IMHO it was in Sky. The fin flashes also didn't fit the model at all, guess that the sheet was designed for a different kit. I sorted this by using flashes from a generic Xtradecal marking sheet, but even these needed touching up with some red paint (fortunately I found that one of my Lifecolor paint is a perfect match).

Besides the decals, the model is not too accurate in some areas, for a starter the pictures showed a much more weathered airframe. It's also not one of my best models, with several small glitches here and there... but looks good enough from 6 ft, and this is all that matters at the moment !

Paints used were mostly Vallejos, with a couple of Lifecolor. I used my standard post-shading techniques to add some depth to the camouflage colors, I could have gone wilder with weathering but decided to keep it subtle.

 

resized_f5b319b8-c90a-4c0c-aa98-9b6d1548

 

resized_e9f84125-cbd4-4eb9-bb88-f5f94a2c

 

resized_ab2a88f5-9a1e-40cc-9f69-4a447af4

 

resized_80a64ff1-2883-4a3c-8f14-4cffe3b5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely job on that Giorgio, would birthday wishes for the 5th July be in order? ;)

Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I call this a Birthday Spitfire as I choose the markings around my B'day in July. As my name is Giorgio, it made sense to build a model of an aircraft that carried G as individual letter...

I can only approve .... :D  :D  and my birthday is in July too! :D 

 

Excellent job with this little gem, it looks at least 1/48 from those pics! :clap:  :clap: 

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Lovely job on that Giorgio, would birthday wishes for the 5th July be in order? ;)

Steve.

 

1 hour ago, Spitfire madman said:

Very nice indeed Superb job 👍 

 

42 minutes ago, giemme said:

I can only approve .... :D  :D  and my birthday is in July too! :D 

 

Excellent job with this little gem, it looks at least 1/48 from those pics! :clap:  :clap: 

 

Ciao

 

38 minutes ago, Mig88 said:

Looks great! Well done!

 

Miguel

 

Thanks everyone, glad you like it !

Birthday was in July but on the 22nd, not the 5th... in any case, thanks for the B'day wishes !:)

Next following my logic should be a 249 Sqn, Mk.Vc, as this unit used GN codes for part of the war...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a beautiful MK IX there Giorgio. I like the subtle approach to weathering.

 

Lovely job!

 

Terry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely looking Spit, Giorgio.  I must get some of these.  It definitely looks better than the Airfix one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What better way to celebrate your birthday than with a completed Spitfire model! If it would help my completion rate, I would have birthdays more often. Nice work, Giorgio - I suspect the kit is bit nicer than the AZ/KP Spitfires I keep building.   :)

 

Cheers,

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buon Compleanno

With age comes experience and skill.

Nice modelling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

That's a beautiful MK IX there Giorgio. I like the subtle approach to weathering.

 

Lovely job!

 

Terry

 

Thanks Terry ! Interestingly this time I should have taken a more aggressive approach... this aircraft had been in service for some months when the pictures I've seen were taken and these show a pretty worn paint with extensive chipping on the wing roots.

2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Lovely looking Spit, Giorgio.  I must get some of these.  It definitely looks better than the Airfix one.

Thanks ! The Eduard kit sure is better than the Airfix one, much more detailed and accurate in shapes. As a result it's also a more complicated build of course

 

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

What better way to celebrate your birthday than with a completed Spitfire model! If it would help my completion rate, I would have birthdays more often. Nice work, Giorgio - I suspect the kit is bit nicer than the AZ/KP Spitfires I keep building.   :)

 

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill ! Yes, this is also better than the AZ/KP kit. It is IMHO the very best 1/72 Spitfire on the market, accurate and well detailed. I hope Eduard will follow with more variants in the future.

 

13 minutes ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Buon Compleanno

With age comes experience and skill.

Nice modelling.

Grazie ! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great looking spitfire.

Colors and moderate weathering looks just....how they should.

Best regards Djordje

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 11:16 PM, Bedders said:

Very nice Giorgio. E tanti auguri!

 

Justin

 

Grazie ! :)

On 9/12/2019 at 4:07 AM, Crimea River said:

A lovely model Giorgio.

Thanks !

On 9/13/2019 at 12:50 AM, djos said:

Great looking spitfire.

Colors and moderate weathering looks just....how they should.

Best regards Djordje

 

 

Thanks ! Weathering really should be more accentuated on this particular subject... but this is the way I like my WW2 subjects to be, not too extremely weathered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...