A Birthday Spitfire - Eduard 1/72 Mk.IXc

Here's my latest completed model, built from the lovely 1/72 Eduard kit. It's a model that actually languished on the shelf of doom mostly assembled but not painted for quite a while, then this year I finally grabbed and completed it as MK126 of 126 Sqn in late 1944

I call this a Birthday Spitfire as I choose the markings around my B'day in July. As my name is Giorgio, it made sense to build a model of an aircraft that carried G as individual letter...

Decals came from Xtradecal sheet 72-110, and proved mostly good, with some problems. Most important is that the G on the rudder is represented in white but IMHO it was in Sky. The fin flashes also didn't fit the model at all, guess that the sheet was designed for a different kit. I sorted this by using flashes from a generic Xtradecal marking sheet, but even these needed touching up with some red paint (fortunately I found that one of my Lifecolor paint is a perfect match).

Besides the decals, the model is not too accurate in some areas, for a starter the pictures showed a much more weathered airframe. It's also not one of my best models, with several small glitches here and there... but looks good enough from 6 ft, and this is all that matters at the moment !

Paints used were mostly Vallejos, with a couple of Lifecolor. I used my standard post-shading techniques to add some depth to the camouflage colors, I could have gone wilder with weathering but decided to keep it subtle.

resized_f5b319b8-c90a-4c0c-aa98-9b6d1548

resized_e9f84125-cbd4-4eb9-bb88-f5f94a2c

resized_ab2a88f5-9a1e-40cc-9f69-4a447af4

resized_80a64ff1-2883-4a3c-8f14-4cffe3b5

• Like 34

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I call this a Birthday Spitfire as I choose the markings around my B'day in July. As my name is Giorgio, it made sense to build a model of an aircraft that carried G as individual letter...

I can only approve .... :D  :D  and my birthday is in July too! :D 

Excellent job with this little gem, it looks at least 1/48 from those pics! :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Lovely job on that Giorgio, would birthday wishes for the 5th July be in order? ;)

Steve.

1 hour ago, Spitfire madman said:

Very nice indeed Superb job 👍 

42 minutes ago, giemme said:

I can only approve .... :D  :D  and my birthday is in July too! :D 

Excellent job with this little gem, it looks at least 1/48 from those pics! :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

38 minutes ago, Mig88 said:

Looks great! Well done!

Miguel

Thanks everyone, glad you like it !

Birthday was in July but on the 22nd, not the 5th... in any case, thanks for the B'day wishes !:)

Next following my logic should be a 249 Sqn, Mk.Vc, as this unit used GN codes for part of the war...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What better way to celebrate your birthday than with a completed Spitfire model! If it would help my completion rate, I would have birthdays more often. Nice work, Giorgio - I suspect the kit is bit nicer than the AZ/KP Spitfires I keep building.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

That's a beautiful MK IX there Giorgio. I like the subtle approach to weathering.

Lovely job!

Terry

Thanks Terry ! Interestingly this time I should have taken a more aggressive approach... this aircraft had been in service for some months when the pictures I've seen were taken and these show a pretty worn paint with extensive chipping on the wing roots.

2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Lovely looking Spit, Giorgio.  I must get some of these.  It definitely looks better than the Airfix one.

Thanks ! The Eduard kit sure is better than the Airfix one, much more detailed and accurate in shapes. As a result it's also a more complicated build of course

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

What better way to celebrate your birthday than with a completed Spitfire model! If it would help my completion rate, I would have birthdays more often. Nice work, Giorgio - I suspect the kit is bit nicer than the AZ/KP Spitfires I keep building.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill ! Yes, this is also better than the AZ/KP kit. It is IMHO the very best 1/72 Spitfire on the market, accurate and well detailed. I hope Eduard will follow with more variants in the future.

13 minutes ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Buon Compleanno

With age comes experience and skill.

Nice modelling.

Grazie ! :)

• Like 4

On 9/11/2019 at 11:16 PM, Bedders said:

Very nice Giorgio. E tanti auguri!

Justin

Grazie ! :)

On 9/12/2019 at 4:07 AM, Crimea River said:

A lovely model Giorgio.

Thanks !

On 9/13/2019 at 12:50 AM, djos said:

Great looking spitfire.

Colors and moderate weathering looks just....how they should.

Best regards Djordje

Thanks ! Weathering really should be more accentuated on this particular subject... but this is the way I like my WW2 subjects to be, not too extremely weathered