VVS Pacific Ocean Fleet Yak-38 'Forger' ++FINISHED++

CliffB

Evening all.  it's time that I threw my hat into the ring with this 1/100 scale Takara kit of the 'Forger'.

P1100747.jpg

The kit confused me at first, as the box claims it's a Yak-36 and the Yak-36 (NATO designation 'Freehand'), was a completely different aircraft - albeit also a VTOL.

However, I now understand that the pre-production Forgers were actually given the name Yak-36M.  The name Yak-38 was only applied to series production aircraft.

Superficially the 36M and the 38 look near enough identical (at least to my eyes ;)), although apparantly the 36M was less powerful and was lighter.  I don't know exactly what the kit is supposed to represent - if I could read Japanese I might get a better understanding, as there are copious notes in the instructions.

The kit has decals for two options:  a grey one from the ficticious 'Counter Governmental Air Force' (from the manga series Area 88), and a blue/green aircraft from the VVS.

P1100857.jpg

The VVS aicraft is 'yellow 49', which unfortunately I haven't been able to find any references for.  However, I have found artwork relating to an otherwise identical 'yellow 83', which was apparantly aboard the CVG Novorossiysk, as part of the VVS Pacific Ocean Fleet in August 1983.  So that's the one I'll be making.

I've so far just made one other 1/100 Takara kit (by conicidence an AV8-A), and I found the kit itself to be great.  The decals however were a nightmare - it literally required steam to release them from the backing paper :jump_fire:. The Yak's parts look equally good and include deck crew figures and a trolley.

P1100856.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

A great choice of subject Cliff, really good to see a Yak-38 being built as it's not a type that often graces the GB area.

I don't know where you keep finding these 1/100 kits that most of us (certainly me) have never heard of but please keep  on finding them as they and you always bring something a bit different to the GB's you take part in.

Luckily with the Forger you can't go wrong with the colour scheme, anything you want as long as it's blue on top and green underneath, unless of course you build one of the aircraft sent to Afghanistan to see how useful they would be in theatre (turns out not a lot) which received appropriate camouflage.

I have the 1/48 Hobbyboss kit in the stash which is part built so I'm interested to see how your Forger turns out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

A great choice of subject Cliff, really good to see a Yak-38 being built as it's not a type that often graces the GB area.

Luckily with the Forger you can't go wrong with the colour scheme, anything you want as long as it's blue on top and green underneath, unless of course you build one of the aircraft sent to Afghanistan to see how useful they would be in theatre (turns out not a lot) which received appropriate camouflage.

I have the 1/48 Hobbyboss kit in the stash which is part built so I'm interested to see how your Forger turns out.

Thanks for the welcome Craig.

If you have any paint references from your Hobbyboss kit, that would help me a lot please.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

hi Cliff, nice choice and like Craig says I'm just amazed with the wee beasties you come up with.

if you follow this link there is about 1/2 way down (just above the review section) there's a section where you can download the instructions for the HB model. Has some nice colour pictures of the scheme you're after.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hobby-boss-80362-yak-38-yak-38m-forger-a--101385

• Like 2

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

if you follow this link there is about 1/2 way down (just above the review section) there's a section where you can download the instructions for the HB model. Has some nice colour pictures of the scheme you're after.

Thanks Rich.  I visit Scalemates quite frequently, but had never noticed links to instructions before!

The colour pictures are great, although I'm not sure about Humbrol 77 for the blue.......

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 4:16 PM, modelling minion said:

I'll have a look through my kit and references and let you know Cliff.

Thank you Craig, but I now have a copy of the Hobbyboss instructions thanks to a link provided by trickyrich.  They're a great help.

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

Very much appreciated!!

That's nice to hear!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CT7567 said:

For some additional colors & markings info you might want to check out Begemot's 1/72 Forger set. They post the instruction manuals online, which include fairly detailed notes on the various options included on their sheets.

Begemot Yak-38 1/72 Decals

A great resource - thank you.

I've got no excuse now for not making a start!

Cliff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice Cliff, and nearly complete too!

I saw a Revell one of these in 1/100 on a certain auction site the other day, do you think it would be the same plastic?

Thanks Craig.  

Yes, all of Takara's 1/100 offerings were also released by Revell.  Revell also re-released some of Tamiya's 1/100 stuff, and several of Revell's 1/100 helicopter kits were originally produced by Accurate Miniatures.

I think Revell have only  produced a handful of original 1/100 'proper' kits (plus a few snap-together Easy Kits).

Generally speaking, Takara's decals age better than Revell's (which can suffer badly from yellowing).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Don't get too hung up on the authenticity of the side numbers.  I have been told that, as part of Cold War intelligence and counterintelligence games, side numbers were regularly changed to confuse assessments of how many Forgers the Kiev class could carry.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Don't get too hung up on the authenticity of the side numbers.  I have been told that, as part of Cold War intelligence and counterintelligence games, side numbers were regularly changed to confuse assessments of how many Forgers the Kiev class could carry.

Thanks Seahawk,  That's good to know and certainly makes things a little easier for me :winkgrin:

On 9/28/2019 at 9:14 AM, exdraken said:

Looking good!

Many thanks exdraken.

The Flogger has a bit of a reputation for being an ugly bird, but I have to say that I'm quite liking it at the moment :coolio:

P1100877.jpg

The kit provides ventral strakes, but I think there should also be a pair on the top of the fuselage.  So I've added some from plasticard!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

On 9/30/2019 at 9:12 PM, modelling minion said:

Very nice work Cliff, and a good catch on the upper strakes, they look superb.

Thanks Craig.  Now the glue's fully dried, I've further refined the strakes :)

Also, everything's now fully primed and ready for some colour tomorrow .....

P1100893.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

On 10/3/2019 at 7:55 PM, modelling minion said:

the primer will form a very nice surface for the blue and green paint.

and sure enough it is now blue and green!

P1100894.jpg

P1100895.jpg

I ended up mixing the colours myself, based on the colour photo of a completed model provided in the kit instructions.

Does anybody know why these aircraft were painted green underneath?

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

Very nice Cliff, and good job on mixing your own colours.

I must admit that I have always wondered why they are green on the underneath, seems a very odd choice. Maybe as a lot of aircraft are usually green on top and blue underneath and as the Yaks are blue on top that they thought that they must paint it green on the undersides :) .

• Thanks 1

And it's finished :)

P1100896.jpg

I really enjoyed this build.  The kit was vice-free (a rare treat for 1/100), and its slightly wacky, multi-coloured appearance makes it unmissable in my display cabinet :clown:

Had it not been for the GB theme, I would probably never have chosen to build this kit and it would have languished, unloved in my stash. So, my particular thanks to Craig and Enzo for bringing us the GB.

Thanks also to all of you who have supported this build.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1