RAF/RN Phantom reference photos wanted

Rickoshea52

Do any of the community have photos of RAF or RN Phantoms undergoing an engine change that they are willing to share? Ideally I’d like to see reference to the engine doors opened or removed, the engine(s) installed without doors fitted, the engine bays showing the structure inside including the inside of the door or any photo that might also show the tools, GSE or other equipment that would be typically used in this activity and even any photos of Phantoms in any kind of depth maintenance with panels off etc.

I have plenty of Spey engine reference photos for an attempt at a scratch build. 

I’ve trawled the web with very little luck so far.

TIA

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

Do any of the community have photos of RAF or RN Phantoms undergoing an engine change that they are willing to share? Ideally I’d like to see reference to the engine doors opened or removed, the engine(s) installed without doors fitted, the engine bays showing the structure inside including the inside of the door or any photo that might also show the tools, GSE or other equipment that would be typically used in this activity and even any photos of Phantoms in any kind of depth maintenance with panels off etc.

I have plenty of Spey engine reference photos for an attempt at a scratch build. 

I’ve trawled the web with very little luck so far.

TIA

I don't have photos but I'm sure I'll some AP drawings.

John

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

I don't have photos but I'm sure I'll some AP drawings.

John

AP sketches would be great if you would be kind enough to share them. I’d like to detail the engine bay and door interior which is one of the reasons I’m asking. 

10 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Patrick martin's book "British Phantoms" (vol. 1) has some very good photos showing an engine removal and open engine bay.

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks for the tip Antti. 

1 minute ago, Rickoshea52 said:

AP sketches would be great if you would be kind enough to share them. I’d like to detail the engine bay and door interior which is one of the reasons I’m asking. 

Thanks for the tip Antti. 

I'll sort some out this evening, I'm sure it has GSE too. 

John

• Thanks 1

This is great info, John. So it looks to me that there three engine bay doors per side? One of which looks removable while the other two are hinged. The GSE sketch of the engine trolley is really clear, this goes well with photos I have of the Spey engine at Hendon. 

If anyone has photos of the engine bays I’m still interested. 

Thanks again 

I don't know how you always come up with the goods John!

The interesting bit for me is that the airframe structure doesn't seem to be exposed in the engine bays, like it's all panelled over. This should help a bit with any potential builds.

• Like 1

The reason I am looking for good reference material is because now and again I like to do something a bit different with my aircraft models when it comes to the setting and presentation. I’ve spent a lot of time working in aircraft hangars seeing aircraft in a different perspective from most people and often get the inspiration bug from these experiences or photos I stumble across. 

One of my future projects will be a Phantom undergoing an engine change similar to this diorama I built a few years ago (photos courtesy of IPMS Farnborough). This was built to resemble a typical Lightning maintenance flight inspired by a photo I found online. 

You can can also see a just finished diorama along similar lines here - 

So, any photo reference or first hand experience from Phantom phixers would be much appreciated. 

886F27B2-BF12-4A80-9A30-A1C499454756 FBA52571-7EEB-4814-BCD8-3E5360445AA0

Edited by Rickoshea52
  • Like 7

Hello all,

Peter Caygill's "Phantom from the cockpit" is an excellent book to read alongside with those great AP pages John posted. As a former RN engineer Lionel A. Smith explains in the book, the engine changes were almost everyday life in the Royal Navy during the early days. Unfortunately there really isn't photos you can use for detailing in Caygill's book.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

Nice work John. It’s interesting to see that CMM/AMM’s are remarkably similar to those I use today on modern jets and is a touch of nostalgia to my Nimrod days. 

No problems, I think that's about it unless you want so drawings of the engine itself? One interesting thing about the Phantom AP's is how 'American' they are, not too surprising 

I guess, but they do have a different house style to your run of the mill British AP. 

John

On 11/09/2019 at 08:51, Antti_K said:

Patrick martin's book "British Phantoms" (vol. 1) has some very good photos showing an engine removal and open engine bay.

Cheers,

Antti

I don’t suppose that you have the ISBN handy? My internet searches show more than one hit and the volume number isn’t clear.