Super Star Destroyer

Sorry for the short delay. The ssd has been finished for a few days, but I haven't had a spare minute to post any updates until now. Not a lot has been done since the previous post, mainly just tidying up a few areas and adding more washes where I thought the detail wasn't standing out enough.

48843393916_aeeaa9432f_b.jpg

I added a very dilute wash/filter over the hull to better highlight the tiny raised panels. That was a mix of dark rubber and dark sea grey with a lot of glaze medium. It was just enough to leave a subtle shadow around the details, without making them stand out too strongly.

48843024413_c4ed73785f_b.jpg

A few more dilute washes have been added over the superstructure too, using different grey tones to add some tonal variety.

48843577442_195697599e_b.jpg

Same process on the underside, although I didn't spend too much time here since you don't really see that much of this side.

48843392806_b53555330f_b.jpg

48843392421_e15ac27bf0_b.jpg

So, I'm going to call it done at this point, as I don't want to end up overworking it. I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out given that I hadn't got a clue how I was going to approach the painting when I started it. The kit must be the most detailed that Bandai have so far done in terms of the minuteness of the mouldings It's by far the largest of the Vehicle Model range coming in at around 19cm long although, ironically, it feels smaller that it actually is, probably due to the slender shape. Hopefully they'll continue to give us larger size subjects in the VM range.

Anyway, thanks everyone for following along with the build. I'll get some finished shots into RFI later on.

Andy:cat:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mindmax said:

your paintwork looks phantastic! It brings out all the details perfectly and makes that the model appears much bigger. 👍

Thanks Mark. I think Bandai deserves the credit for creating all that detail in the first place.

Andy:cat:

• Like 1