Battle Of Britain dogfight Dio

Red Five

My goal with this is to have a Spitfire Mk1 downing a ME109 over the english channel. Ive so far done the sea scape base, its supposed to be rough choppy waters. The ME109 trop is a very old sacrifical build which im using to test out some different techiques. Wish me luck. P.S Im not aiming for 100% historical accuracy in terms of antenas and paint schemes etc. I'm trying to create a scene of action that ill enjoy looking at in the future but any thoughts and comments are more that welcome.

Dogfight dio test progress. Messed about with sea spray.

Sea base for dogfight dio. Just got to build and paint two planes now. Battle of Britain dog fight dio wip Battle of Britain dog fight dio wip

Edited by Simon Errington
ADDING PICS
  • Like 12

29 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

Look good - will you be posting any details of your technique for achieving this high level of work?

Hi Paul,

I unfortunatley dont have any pics of the sea scape as ive been building it inbetween looking after a new baby so time is scarce. Ill try to add more pics from this point though. In terms of the sea its been more a trial and error so far to see what looks good as its been my first time doing it, I was going to use resin but the time it takes was what stopped me, plus with the foam etc theres no real point being able to see under the water really as its the sea so theres nothing really there. I opted instead for some clay and good old toilet paper paper mache on top, once that hardend i painted the different tones then added a high gloss medium then cotton for the swilrls and wave caps then coated everything again this the high gloss until i got what i felt looked ok.

• Thanks 1

Hi, Simon. 

I'm loving your work here. It's nice to see an aircraft in an "in action" scene. 

One small thing (this is NOT being critical - just a friendly bit of information).... I believe that the Luftwaffe started to paint their BF-109's with yellow noses a few months after the Battle of Britain. Of course, this doesn't invalidate your diorama - just dates it a little later in the war.

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris.  

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, Simon. 

I'm loving your work here. It's nice to see an aircraft in an "in action" scene. 

One small thing (this is NOT being critical - just a friendly bit of information).... I believe that the Luftwaffe started to paint their BF-109's with yellow noses a few months after the Battle of Britain. Of course, this doesn't invalidate your diorama - just dates it a little later in the war.

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris.  

Hi Chris,

Im literally just going off the out of box artwork, that particular one was flown by ernst poschenrieder and crash landed on 30th Sept in Kent with that colour scheme. They had yellow noses during BoB but not at Dunkirk like in the recent movie. I think my dio is more wrong place right time. Ive also seen the crashed me109 at duxford with the yellow nose flashings too.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/70000185

Edited by Simon Errington

On 13/09/2019 at 10:36, spruecutter96 said:

I stand corrected. I was going from memory here, admittedly. 

Once again, it's a great diorama, very well executed,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

No worries it was a very valid point in fairness as id always figured the same and that movies and tv just stuck the yellow on to look cool. I questioned the kit scheme a few times then the IWM one sprang to mind from a visit a few years back so I looked that up and saw it was shot down at the same time so went for it, otherwise i might have went without it.

I apreciated you trying to help me out.

Thanks,

Hi Dalek,

The water is first Air dry clay moulded into the wave pattern (random directions) then Toilet paper and pva onto to bind it as airdry clay cracks bigtime. The i used a mix of tamiya and citadel (gw paints). Various shades of blue some green and black strippled on and blended when wet light at the wave tops to dark at the bottom then i used vellejo still water on top, then a wash of a dark blue citadel wash in the deeper areas, then more still water. then i used a clear silicone for the wave crests and a pva water mix to put the "cotton" (not cotton wool, more pillow stuffing) for the foam and splashes. I kind left some fluffy but then heavily soaked some and spread it about as it looked good. Then i stuck a coat of gloss where required.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DalekCheese said:

Ah! Thank you. I’ll save this away for future use... :lol:

No problem, i did a trial run first (top picture) to see what worked. I was going to use resin but found it alot harder/labour intensive to get the wave peaks. Im planning on trying a fully submerged UBoat and an omaha beach scene at some point using resins in future but i found for surface only dios this worked pretty well. Dont hesitate to DM me in future if you need any tips, im no expert but at least ive tried the stuff that REALLY doesnt work which might save you some time and headaches (literal with some resins) haha

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Simon Errington said:

Few more angles, work has stalled a little at the mo as need to motivvate myself to start the spitfire and a newborn baby induced lack of sleep is putting me off.

I know what you're talking about... last year's summer I built -what was it again? something like glueing halves of a driver's seat together, nothing more.

that 109 looks great, crashing on the as-great-sea surface... I kind of have the early stages of your dio hanging in the dining room's window - Alan Deere whizzing past a 109 whose pilot is just getting out... (all because the canopy was an awful fit and better left off)

• Thanks 1

Eventually made a start on the spitfire. Just not sure the direction i want to going, my first thought was directly behind but then i thought maybe left to right like hes just ambushed him. Ive also added a few bullet holes and fuel smoke trails on the 109 too so it makes more sense that hes actually shot him down. Just need to fire up the airbrush on the 109 and add smoke effects from the smoke cloud as.

Battle of Britain dogfight dio wip Battle of Britain dogfight dio wip

Edited by Red Five
adding pics
  • Like 5

maybe you could alter the angle of the Spit... to me, it seems to emerge out of the sea... unless it's stalling, in which case it would follow the 109 very closely into the sea. 

Very nice work on the paint! I especially like the underside...

1 minute ago, Johnny Tip said:

maybe you could alter the angle of the Spit... to me, it seems to emerge out of the sea... unless it's stalling, in which case it would follow the 109 very closely into the sea. 

Very nice work on the paint! I especially like the underside...

Im playing around trying to angle it so it looks like hes followed him in shot at the last minute then is breaking hard away. its just trying to find a happy medium so that it doesnt look to sharp and like he is stalling.

Ah, so it's just "for now" and not settled... all ok👍 He wants to be sure that jerry didn't just play dead and then pulls up again. Also makes a good confimation for the kill on cine-guns.