Airfix Lancaster B.III 1/72 Old Tool!

SaminCam

On 9/22/2019 at 4:51 PM, SaminCam said:

Things moving along with the old Lanc. I got the cockpit finished off and crew settled into their new home and then fixed the fuselage halves together. I've slightly modified (i.e. hacked off some plastic from) the front and middle gun turrets so they can be added towards the end of the build. It's hard to see with the photos of the black plastic but the fit is really good so hopefully I won't need too much filler. The engine nacelle halves also went together with a minimum of fuss and I was able to get rid of most of the seam lines by just sanding and painting on some surface primer. While sanding these I masked off as much of the raised detail as possible and I'll do something similar when I start tidying up the fuselage. 

While I really like the rivets on this old kit I decided the wings needed to have a bit more going on so I've been scribing my own panel lines. I've not done much of this before so pleased to be learning a new technique - I'm using a Tamiya scribing tool and thick black tape as a guide.  I know there's a big debate to be had about the best way to represent the surface details and the pattern I've gone for comes from a mixture of others models, photos, drawings and a bit of artistic interpretation. I've also tried to stop before going over the top, to my eye it looks busy enough now and will hopefully help make things look more interesting once painted.  

Finally, with one wing done (hence the two engines) and the other one half way there I couldn't resist a dry fit:

48775591391_643d6309b3_z.jpg

Don't you just love a Lancaster!

It appears that yours doesn't seem to a number of sink holes around the MU turret that mine does!

Edited by chaddy
Removing stuff superfluous to my reply.

Morning all, last night got the fuselage behind the cockpit painted - the green is Tamiya Dark Green 2 xf89, it's not quite right but looks fine under the glazing. I've now started to mask up the canopy (I'm going to leave the nose turret off for now though) and once that is done I'll be able to finish off priming and pre-shading the front of the aircraft. @chaddy sorry to hear about your problems - I think my boxing is pretty old, a bit of googling suggest from the early 80s, so perhaps the moulds were still crisp and new back then? 

48830840196_cdff7954a5_z.jpg 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

I’ve found you often get a better result doing it this way rather than precut masks which are often not a great fit... this will come out perfect I’m sure👍

Yep, definitely agree, little bits of tape conform round the curves better than the pre cuts, i got lots of practice with the F-35!

• Like 1

On 30/09/2019 at 23:14, SaminCam said:

@dogsbody thanks Chris, I think you're right, maybe the brown is not too bad but the green does seem a bit faded. I have a trusty old mustang paint mule so will try some things out first... 

I'm not sure. Your brown/green approach might work for a long-service veteran aircraft. I appreciate that colour slides are to be approached with caution, but...

If you use the fields, buildings and sky tones in the background as a cross reference, then this shot might not be too far away from the colours used on this Lancaster

Avro Lancaster service colour

SD

Edited by SafetyDad
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SafetyDad said:

I'm not sure. Your brown/green approach might work for a long-service veteran aircraft. I appreciate that colour slides are to be approached with caution, but...

If you use the fields, buildings and sky tones in the background as a cross reference, then this shot might not be too far away from the colours used on this Lancaster

SD

Thanks SD, this is great - I'm planning on doing some experiments before committing paint to model and will report back!

• Like 1

Great work Sam. You probably already know this but you can leave old decals in direct sunlight for a bit to reduce yellowing. Also giving them a coat of Microscale decal film reduces the chance that they will break up.

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2019 at 9:17 PM, SafetyDad said:

This is a great photo - even accounting for colour correction, it really shows how beat up the surfaces got - so much fading... even on the canopy - great stuff. 

Nice job on the masking Sam - not far away from throwing some paint on :)

• Thanks 1

I've been working on the wings this afternoon - the fit, again, is pretty good though the joins between the engines and wings needed some filling. For these small gaps I'm using a Vallejo filler which you apply with its fine nozzle, it gets into the crack nicely and the excess can be wiped off with a cotton bud, any remaining residue then gets removed with a toothpick. I've also had a go at adding lights to the wingtips, here's how I went about it:

First I cut out a hole with a very fine saw:

48853151982_ee0c188400.jpg

Next I very roughly shaped a piece of clear plastic sprue which was glued into the hole:

48853152462_78fca547d8.jpg

Once this had dried I went about it with a dremmel-like tool with an abrasive wheel. This half cuts, half melts the plastic away and I was able to carefully dress the sprue back towards the wing (I'm nearly done in this photo):

48853152252_3196b20f36.jpg

I finished up by hand sanding and then polishing to get the clear part flush to the wing. Was it worth it? We'll see... but happy enough with my efforts:

48852958676_8511565103.jpg

Wings are pretty much ready for their first coat of paint now, then I'll see where more touch ups are required. Thanks for all the help and encouragement! Sam

:

• Like 6

That looks great!

That's the way I did the wing tip lights on my 1/72 Hurricane. It was my first ever attempt at something like that, too. Came out quite well, if I do say so myself.

48853225488_c9255d790d_b.jpg

48853586496_46f5778bef_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 9

After cutting out the moulded-in light with a razor saw, I took an old piece of clear sprue that was larger than the cutout. I filed the end flat and square and also filed one side flat. On the flat end, i drilled a small hole and put a drop the Tamiya Clear Red and Green in the appropriate holes. I next painted the flattened sides and ends with Tamiya Aluminum. When dry, they were superglued into position. Once firmly set, I went at them with the Dremel set a low speed. When the shape was close, I switched to sanding sticks of increasing finer grit. A couple coats of Future were applied and you see the result.

I din't take any pictures except of the final result.

Chris

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, SaminCam said:

I've been working on the wings this afternoon - the fit, again, is pretty good though the joins between the engines and wings needed some filling. For these small gaps I'm using a Vallejo filler which you apply with its fine nozzle, it gets into the crack nicely and the excess can be wiped off with a cotton bud, any remaining residue then gets removed with a toothpick. I've also had a go at adding lights to the wingtips, here's how I went about it:

First I cut out a hole with a very fine saw:

48853151982_ee0c188400.jpg

Next I very roughly shaped a piece of clear plastic sprue which was glued into the hole:

48853152462_78fca547d8.jpg

Once this had dried I went about it with a dremmel-like tool with an abrasive wheel. This half cuts, half melts the plastic away and I was able to carefully dress the sprue back towards the wing (I'm nearly done in this photo):

48853152252_3196b20f36.jpg

I finished up by hand sanding and then polishing to get the clear part flush to the wing. Was it worth it? We'll see... but happy enough with my efforts:

48852958676_8511565103.jpg

Wings are pretty much ready for their first coat of paint now, then I'll see where more touch ups are required. Thanks for all the help and encouragement! Sam

:

Real good looking lights. When I did mine I used plexiglas. Are you going to do the trailing formation lights as well?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2019 at 9:44 PM, SaminCam said:

@James G Thanks James, didn't know this and will definitely give it a go. 

Took almost two months before my Tamiya Lancaster decals came good but they did work!

• Thanks 1

Slow progress here I'm afraid as real life is getting in the way... most of the work I've done has focused on the engines and getting them tidied up. The fit here isn't as good as the fuselage so I've used a combination of sand paper and filler to tidy seam lines across the top of the cowling and around the front. Doing this I've discovered a few things: tamiya sponge sandpaper is ace, use the razor saw to start off rescribing (i did a bit on top of the engines near the wing), rosie rivetting needs practice and finally,  the mr surfacer and levelling thinner is like nectar from heaven for priming, I'll never touch the claggy Vallejo stuff I've been using before now again! The job I've done isn't perfect but good enough for me and last night I glued the wings on with a bit of masking tape help in getting the dihedral right. Fingers crossed I can make some more progress this weekend. 

48900135562_a65faa10ee_z.jpg

48900139787_fe1e44f1ed_z.jpg

48899936776_93e868e354_b.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1