Plastic Fillers

cybershed

Hi there fellow modellers.

Anyone got any tips about how to maintain the life of plastic fillers (in their tubes) once they have been opened.

I have tried both oil-based and water-based fillers and they have both gone awry over time. Seems such a waste and definitely not environmentally friendly.

I think a good idea would be mini-tubes of the stuff (like the mini tubes of contact adhesive). But I haven't seen any fillers for sale in anything other than regular size tubes.

Has anyone got any ideas?

The only tube filler that I ever tried was Tamiya Grey. I didn't like it as I found it difficult to get it in to small gaps without leaving a large glob. Sanding it back was a pain in the backside and it gummed up sanding sticks and sand paper until it they were useless. Eventually, the tube dried up into a useless lump which I threw away. I have since tried Mr. Surfacer which I do like, especially Mr.Surfacer 1000 for 1/72 scale. I give the jar a real good shake, then I apply small drops of Surfacer, using a sewing needle with the eye cut back, leaving a small Y. Works great. I make sure the lip of the jar and the inside of the lid are wiped clean so it maintains the seal when not in use. 

Sorry I can't help you with your question.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

If I'm using tube filler I usually go with Tamiya Basic, and that has quite a long shelf-life.  As Jan(neman) said, clean the mess up around the cap, use it sparingly and apply it with a modelling tool (I use a metal one for obvious reasons), rather than directly from the tube.  The key to long life (putty - I'm not a doctor or life coach) seems to be making sure the cap is able to screw fully down, keeping the likelihood of the solvent escaping to a minimum.  My tubes last a couple of years minimum, but I often use CA as my filler, so I don't have the putty tube open very often :)

1. shrinkage, on one sided holes it shrinks quite a bit, on open holes it seems to shrink from the rear

2. my bottle was not water-resistant when dry and just washed away during wet sanding.

3. I find it does not adhere to plastic very well and is best wiped smooth before it dries to minimise any sanding which tends to remove all of it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I bought this a few months ago, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Is it any good? Are there any issues?

48832868031_a251f8cd3f_o.jpg

That stuff in the fine applicator tube is awesome for filling tiny grooves and minimising their appearance on wing roots, part seams where you still want a line, just not quite such a deep or wide line.  I use it on these jobs almost every model.  I apply a line of the stuff, then wipe it off with a fingertip or a cotton bud if it's a tight place.  Don't use water or it will slump big time, but if you leave it neat, it'll reduce your join line to the size of a panel line after one or a couple of applications.  It's a niche use, but it's still useful :yes:

To save wasting yours, you could decant it into a syringe maybe? :)

• Like 2