Blackbird M-21 + Drone - Italeri 1/72

CedB

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

I ordered a new monitor for mybdesktop on Saturday and paid a surcharge for same day delivery. Needless to say it didn't arrive. However at 10pm I emailed Amazon asking for a refund. When I checked my emails at 8am Sunday not only did I see the refund, but an extra 30AED (about 8 quid) as a "gift"! Can't argue with that! The monitor arrived on Sunday too.

Ian

Great Customer Service eh? Mrs B regularly phones them to complain about something and they just give in… I know how they feel :D 

Last one was a couple of tins of Illy ground coffee ordered when the 'proper' coffee machine went away for repair. We decided to buy an emergency Nespresso instead (we're fussy about our twice daily coffee) so she tried to return it and found that you can't return 'food items'. She called them and, very soon, they suggested a full refund and asked us to 'dispose of' the tins. Don't ask about the Apple Earbuds!

24 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

That's a good looking silver on that bird. Will be great to see the contrast with the anthracite,

Thanks Thom, I'm keen to see it too :) 

8 minutes ago, giemme said:

She's looking good in her metallic coat, Ced :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

Ready for a good pasting:

48749968967_dc645060e1_z.jpg

The Gunetal will be used for the very dark areas like the ones around the vents on the nacelles.

The Dark Aluminium will be used for the other dark areas and Aluminium for touching up and missed bits of XF-15 and for a bit of variation.

The engines, from the 'vents' back, are already steel over bare plastic.

Out this evening so I'll start tomorrow.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

what the hell are his tyres made from, papier-mâché?

Not quite! I remembered reading that the 71 had special (and silver!) tyres but couldn't remember why. So, quick google;

Bet they weren't cheap either!

Keith

• Like 5

Not only were the tires (tyres) aluminized, but they retracted into an armored cylinder in the main gear bay, just in case one were to burst from the heat. 

I probably missed this, but what did you use for the base silver color?

Bill

• Thanks 1

I've fallen behind quite a bit but am impressed by the progress while I was away from this thread!

A couple of notes in response to issues/questions earlier in the thread:

The best "single volume" technical reference on the Blackbird family I'm aware of is the 2002 Aerograph by Goodall & Miller, Lockheed's SR-71 'Blackbird' Family.  As the title implies, it covers the A-12, YF-12, M-21, Sr-71A/B/C, and the D-21.  Unfortunately the line drawings are rather small, but it does have 3-views of the A-12 and SR-71 that would assist a conversion.  If anyone has access to the Testors boxing of the 1/48 SR-71, its instruction manual included good quality plan drawings that showed at least the outline differences.

As far as an A-12/M-21 conversion in 1/72 goes, the Italeri/Testors YF-12 aft fuselage can be kitbashed with the SR-71 kit to get close (other changes needed include reshaping the forward fuselage in plan and relocation of the refueling port).  There was at least one aftermarket conversion set, I believe from Kiwi Resins in New Zealand. Have never seen any detail on the set so no knowledge of its quality or accuracy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CT7567 said:

The best "single volume" technical reference on the Blackbird family I'm aware of is the 2002 Aerograph by Goodall & Miller, Lockheed's SR-71 'Blackbird' Family.  As the title implies, it covers the A-12, YF-12, M-21, Sr-71A/B/C, and the D-21.

Thanks lot for your reference book recommendation. I will have a look if I can get a copy with a reasonable price.

If anyone has access to the Testors boxing of the 1/48 SR-71, its instruction manual included good quality plan drawings that showed at least the outline differences.

I think I have still instruction sheet of Italeri/Testors 1/48 kit somewhere in the basement. I will check it.

As far as an A-12/M-21 conversion in 1/72 goes, the Italeri/Testors YF-12 aft fuselage can be kitbashed with the SR-71 kit to get close

Yes, fully agree. It would be great if Italeri could have reboxed these parts together and released as A-12/M-21 kit...

other changes needed include reshaping the forward fuselage in plan and relocation of the refueling port

To build A-12/M-21 relocation of refuelling port, removing RWR from nose and correction on inner flaps (apart from tail cone modification assuming that the rear fuselage parts from YF-12 kit) is sufficient. There are some issues with forward fuselage & nose cone shapes and camera bay positions but these are minor things compared to others.

To build a correct SR-71 is real big problem. I will start a thread soon to share all my findings and drawings about Blackbird family.

There is a nice thread about the best kit available in market to build a Blackbird here.

Serkan

• Thanks 1

Here is the A-12 (06938) and SR-71A (17959 "Big Tail") comparison:

1035.jpg

When the engine and wind shield areas are aligned:

1036.jpg

Apart from minor issues the Italeri kit no145 matches well with the A-12 top view.

To build correct SR-71 the nose part must be stretched (white vertical strip) and the chine must be reshaped.

Serkan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all🙂

someone was talking about the tires: they were made of mustard coloured rubber and then the sides were painted with heat resistant aluminium paint. There was a brick red insulation fabric inside those cylindrical shields in the MLG bay.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Very attractive paint. I can hardly wait starting my Blackbird project before seeing your build finished.

Serkan

Thanks Serkan, especially for the reference shots and comparisons which I'm sure will be very useful particularly to others :) 

18 hours ago, hendie said:

looking great Ced - the aircraft that is, though I'm sure you cut a fine figure also.  This is looking to be one of your best builds so far.

glad to hear Mols is still progressing towards good health too!

Thanks hendie 😊

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Not quite! I remembered reading that the 71 had special (and silver!) tyres but couldn't remember why. So, quick google;

[snip picture]

Bet they weren't cheap either!

Keith

11 hours ago, billn53 said:

Not only were the tires (tyres) aluminized, but they retracted into an armored cylinder in the main gear bay, just in case one were to burst from the heat. 

I probably missed this, but what did you use for the base silver color?

Bill

5 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Good morning all🙂

someone was talking about the tires: they were made of mustard coloured rubber and then the sides were painted with heat resistant aluminium paint. There was a brick red insulation fabric inside those cylindrical shields in the MLG bay.

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks Keith, Bill and Antti :)

I almost wish I'd built her wheels down now and made more of the tyres! Almost…

Bill the kit does contain the shields although I didn't bother installing them. The base colour is Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminium.

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That. Looks. Lovely....!!

K

Thanks Keith :) 

11 hours ago, CT7567 said:

I've fallen behind quite a bit but am impressed by the progress while I was away from this thread!

A couple of notes in response to issues/questions earlier in the thread:

The best "single volume" technical reference on the Blackbird family I'm aware of is the 2002 Aerograph by Goodall & Miller, Lockheed's SR-71 'Blackbird' Family.  As the title implies, it covers the A-12, YF-12, M-21, Sr-71A/B/C, and the D-21.  Unfortunately the line drawings are rather small, but it does have 3-views of the A-12 and SR-71 that would assist a conversion.  If anyone has access to the Testors boxing of the 1/48 SR-71, its instruction manual included good quality plan drawings that showed at least the outline differences.

As far as an A-12/M-21 conversion in 1/72 goes, the Italeri/Testors YF-12 aft fuselage can be kitbashed with the SR-71 kit to get close (other changes needed include reshaping the forward fuselage in plan and relocation of the refueling port).  There was at least one aftermarket conversion set, I believe from Kiwi Resins in New Zealand. Have never seen any detail on the set so no knowledge of its quality or accuracy.

Thanks CT :) 

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I’m also a fan of Tamiya Flat Aluminium, although I haven't used it on such a large area. What did you think it with?

John

Hi John (happy birthday!) :) 

I thinned the XF-16 with Tamiya X-20A thinner about one thinner to two paint (it's quite thin already). The coverage is good but, for me, it is a bit grainy - perhaps it needed another coat but I like the finish (see below)

1 hour ago, SafetyDad said:

Ced, I really like what you're doing here, especially your use of AK paste. Where can I get some from?

SD

Thanks SD :) I like the AK 'True Metal' paste, although I think AK are now pushing their 'Extreme Metal' range. It can be had from a number of suppliers like this one

I like the fact that you can scrub it on with a brush, spreading it around until it's almost gone, thus avoiding the drying problems others have had. This gives you a varied finish and you can play with different coloured primers too. It can also be burnished if you need a shinier finish. A tube lasts for ages and it can be thinned with white spirit. The AK Tutorial video also says it can be sprayed but I've not had much luck doing this; I think I thinned it too much.

So I've applied Gunmetal for the very dark areas, dark aluminium here and there and gone over some panels with aluminium:

48753512816_cc23dd1370_z.jpg

48753565286_d1b1fe9fe1_z.jpg

The lighter panel over the top of the fuselage between the nacelles is actually residue from the tape, but I like it!

I have no reference shots of the bottom so this is pure guess work:

48753338638_9212e045dc_z.jpg

Right, we've waited long enough, off with the tape:

48753389453_65ca5e0b46_z.jpg

48753715276_ab8b9d2475_z.jpg

Happy with that. Very happy.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, hendie said:

looking great Ced - the aircraft that is, though I'm sure you cut a fine figure also.  This is looking to be one of your best builds so far.

glad to hear Mols is still progressing towards good health too!

Totally agree with all of the above.

Excellent!

John

• Thanks 1

Beautiful! Overall black is nice, but I’ve always found the black+natural metal Blackbirds more interesting. Someday I’ll build the Testors YF-12A in my stash, using a similar coloring, to go along with my all-black SR-71. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I couldn't resist sticking on the fins and intake cones and dry fitting the drone:

48753542503_37a71987dd_c.jpg

Transfers next.

Marvelous! :clap:  :clap:  The metal tones variation is just spot on! :worthy:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

48753542503_37a71987dd_c.jpg

Surely the most “science fiction” of all the stretching-the-envelope Cold War machines; if I hadn’t seen a couple flying with ky own eyes it would be easy to think this came out of some futuristic film.

Looks great, and I like the wax metal variation idea.  I can’t think of anything in my stash that’s likely to need a bare metal finish... but if that changes I shall be plagiarising shamelessly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1