Blackbird M-21 + Drone - Italeri 1/72

CedB

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I guess the lacquer paints are the LP range?

They are indeed.

Do you know Ced I think that paste looks even better when it has a silver undercoat.....

And who could ever forget that lovely B-36?!

Nice looking drone (didn't think I'd ever say that as I hate drones!!)

K

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Wow, it's hard work keeping up with the Whitley Thunderbolt SR-71 and drone! Looking good though.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :) 

34 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Nice save with the paste. Looking real sharp!

Thanks Thom :) 

26 minutes ago, giemme said:

Agreed! :clap: Amazing overall effect, too :worthy: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

They are indeed.

Do you know Ced I think that paste looks even better when it has a silver undercoat.....

And who could ever forget that lovely B-36?!

Nice looking drone (didn't think I'd ever say that as I hate drones!!)

K

Thanks Keith - so good they posted it thrice 🎶 :D Weird eh?

Some nonsense on the internals:

48717018253_9354d86b54_z.jpg

As usual the kit parts bear no relation to the carefully researched pictures so some colour just blobbed on here and there.

Come on pilot figures, you're needed!

• Like 12

1 minute ago, CedB said:

so good they posted it thrice 🎶 :D Weird eh?

Drat, you noticed before I managed to edit it! I clicked submit and it quickly flashed up 'saving' but instead of just sitting there with the saving box greyed out as it normally does when it just thinks about doing something, it instantly went back to submit reply - so I did - twice more!! :)

K

• Haha 4

On 9/10/2019 at 9:39 AM, CT7567 said:

the late great Phil "Bondo" Brandt

Sure do miss ol' Bondo Phil- a great modeler and a real class act! It's amazing how many of his projects have been preserved on the 'net and are still inspiring us!

Mike

• Like 2

Ooh, crikey! 24 hours and 3 pages in already. Glad you're doing this beasty. I did the Hasegawa (?) version some time back and got pleasing results, though the decals were a pain, especially the red panel stripes. I was chasing them all over the place. It's a mean looking bird when finished, will look fab on the ceiling. 😀

• Like 1

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Drat, you noticed before I managed to edit it! I clicked submit and it quickly flashed up 'saving' but instead of just sitting there with the saving box greyed out as it normally does when it just thinks about doing something, it instantly went back to submit reply - so I did - twice more!! :)

K

Flippin' computers :D 

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Sure do miss ol' Bondo Phil- a great modeler and a real class act! It's amazing how many of his projects have been preserved on the 'net and are still inspiring us!

Mike

Thanks Mike :) 

12 hours ago, HP42 said:

Ooh, crikey! 24 hours and 3 pages in already. Glad you're doing this beasty. I did the Hasegawa (?) version some time back and got pleasing results, though the decals were a pain, especially the red panel stripes. I was chasing them all over the place. It's a mean looking bird when finished, will look fab on the ceiling. 😀

Hi Phil! :) Thanks again for the donation of the kit and I hope I do it justice.

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Nice save on the drone Ced, it looks stunning!

Roger

Thanks Roger :) 

Some problems fitting the cockpit last night (there had been wine).

I've ripped the seats out:

48720815546_66765bdfaf_z.jpg

and will wait for the pilots (due today) before a final fit but I think that the cockpit 'hovers' on the bottom of the i/ps and bulkheads:

48720498823_92070fc308_z.jpg

I've checked Neil's build and he got everything fitted so there's hope.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Flippin' computers :D 

Thanks Mike :) 

Hi Phil! :) Thanks again for the donation of the kit and I hope I do it justice.

Thanks Roger :) 

Some problems fitting the cockpit last night (there had been wine).

I've ripped the seats out:

48720815546_66765bdfaf_z.jpg

and will wait for the pilots (due today) before a final fit but I think that the cockpit 'hovers' on the bottom of the i/ps and bulkheads:

48720498823_92070fc308_z.jpg

I've checked Neil's build and he got everything fitted so there's hope.

Only after the pilots became double amputee's. I lowered the cockpit tub with a 0.5mm plastic shim on both sides at the rear seat position or the seat was to high to close the rear canopy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Neil for the warning :) 

The pilots have arrived, been cleaned up and primed.

Out tonight so I may not get much more done today (or will I?)

Thanks Toby :) I'll do another dry fit and see if I get the step; if so I'll certainly use that tip!

Pilots painted. I was trying to find a suitable orange but then I looked at the reference shot again:

48722610026_8d2ea0d01f.jpg

…and decided that the Ratskin Flesh would be good enough with a bit of a black wash:

48722770097_f374037e4b_z.jpg

Good enough for the ceiling!

• Like 12

Receiving every day minimum 20 notifications from this post has motivated me highly to check my Italeri sample with an idea of building the kit as one of the first three A-12 Oxcart with NMF. But I was really shocked when I saw that the kit surface looks like coarse sand paper compared to yours Ced,

On 9/10/2019 at 1:19 AM, CedB said:

46655389025_0a178535d7_z.jpg

1023.jpg

On 9/10/2019 at 1:19 AM, CedB said:

48707564358_aab596d662_z.jpg

My assistant helped me lot to examine the parts 🙂

1022.jpg

But we haven't understood whether it was a mold or injected plastic issue...

Of coarse the parts can be sanded with a price of loosing all raised panel lines. Or maybe using a microfiller or Alclad primer makes the surface smoother. Has anyone an idea to fix it?  🤔

But definitely it won't be possible to finish this kit with full metallic colors with such uneven/rough surface.

Serkan

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

10 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Receiving every day minimum 20 notifications from this post has motivated me highly to check my Italeri sample with an idea of building the kit as one of the first three A-12 Oxcart with NMF. But I was really shocked when I saw that the kit surface looks like coarse sand paper compared to yours Ced,

1023.jpg

1022.jpg

Of coarse the parts can be sanded with a price of loosing all raised panel lines. Or maybe using a microfiller or Alclad primer makes the surface smoother. Has anyone an idea to fix it?  🤔

But definitely it won't be possible to finish this kit with full metallic colors with such uneven/rough surface.

Serkan

Looks like the plastic wasn't fully up to temp, very grainy. Try contacting Italeri for replacement parts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

Looks like the plastic wasn't fully up to temp, very grainy. Try contacting Italeri for replacement parts.

Then I should ask a new kit as a replacement hence all the sprues including drone has the same problem 😦

1030.jpg

The right one was left from another Blackbird project.

Serkan

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

What a lovely assistant!!

He is our new family member, 4 months old British Long Hair and very keen to learn especially building aircraft models🙂 . My little daughters calling him as "Puffy". I hope doesn't have any bad/negative meaning 🤔

• Like 2

18 hours ago, hendie said:

so... they come pre-amputated now?   

:D Yes, but they're armless… I'll get my coat…

It got worse as, when I sawed them off the block, one guys leg fell off:

48726410622_2d3f1a2fd2_z.jpg

Now I know I'm not averse to some pilot surgery but this is the first time one has surrendered!

Sadly he's the one looking left so I wanted to put him in the back. We shall see.

18 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Did the crew break their jaws? They look heavily bandaged......or maybe they both had a wisdom tooth removed.....

Ian

They're supposed to be 'space helmets'! Maybe not my best work but good enough for the ceiling Ian :) 

13 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

[snip picture]

1022.jpg

Serkan

2 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Serkan that's nasty! Not the cat, he's very cute, but the kit - I'm with Neil, ask Italeri for a new kit.

"Receiving every day minimum 20 notifications from this post…" - yes, sorry, my builds do get chatty!

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I think the crew will need to dirtied up a little. The two in the photo look like they’d been rolling about in the dirt, perhaps that was their way of celebrating another successful mission ( like one they walked away from).

John

Thanks John - they've been black washed (see above) :) 

I wonder if their dirty suits is something to do with the material? I read somewhere that the airtight suits used by Astronauts couldn't be washed and had to be thrown away when they got dirty.

2 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

He is our new family member, 4 months old British Long Hair and very keen to learn especially building aircraft models🙂 . My little daughters calling him as "Puffy". I hope doesn't have any bad/negative meaning 🤔

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Not really, it generally means something is swollen or slightly fat. He looks more fluffy to me though! :)

Keith

2 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Then from now on his name is "Fluffy". 😁

Thanks Keith and 'Fluffy' :D 

Canopies have been brushed with Aqua Gloss:

48725908773_9d680a0f05_z.jpg

Nice. Don't worry - look at the little windows - the rest of the part is 'frosted' for paint.

I've committed to the cockpit tub position and dry fitted the seats. They look about right but there's a gap between the tub and the fuselage:

48726242926_02883b4565_z.jpg

It won't be seen again so I'm not worried. The canopy dry fit isn't too bad with a bit of fiddling:

48725926368_e9cbe6a631_z.jpg

…but the pilot bangs his head:

48726448292_f85351b633_z.jpg

As Neil warned above the pilot had to have his legs chopped off below the knees but now it looks like his bottom will need sanding too.

Dedication, that's what Blackbird pilots needed… 

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

27 minutes ago, CedB said:

"Receiving every day minimum 20 notifications from this post…" - yes, sorry, my builds do get chatty!

Hi Ced,

I was not complaining getting notifications. I wanted to point that I am fully motivated building a Blackbird (indeed Metalbird) even many of my other running projects waiting on the bench.

I enjoy all the messages I read in this post. I learned a lot about this plane from all of yours experiences.

Please more posts... 😁

Serkan

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, CedB said:

:D Yes, but they're armless… I'll get my coat…

:rofl: 

55 minutes ago, CedB said:

Now I know I'm not averse to some pilot surgery but this is the first time one has surrendered!

:rofl: :rofl: The voice is spreading ...

56 minutes ago, CedB said:

yes, sorry, my builds do get chatty!

Not your fault, Ced. ..... or is it? :hmmm:

:rofl: 

Clear parts look very nice and so does the fit to the fuselage :clap: - too bad for the bottomless pilots... :shrug: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1