Complete Newbie Starts Revell Fieseler Storch 1:32

DaveRob

Nice work so far. I’d be a little nervous if that framework supporting the wings, if it were me I’d be thinking of replacing some of it with brass rod. 

masking, where to start. Tamiya tape is good, maskol liquid is also useful. There are many other tools and methods. As I brush paint I mostly use these two. I do sometimes resort to painted decal film for a hard edge. I have however purchased an airbrush recently and I’m building myself up to using it for the camouflage on my JI.

• Like 1

OK so I got a bit further...  I decided to paint sub assemblies and parts that I couldn't get behind and off sprue... so their is a decision. I have a cockpit sub assy and engine sub assy,  its mount as a sub assy, machine gun, flight deck, wheels and the a load of small parts that ill paint before fixing ... suitably masked of course... but lets get them in primer first as my other decision is to prime first by decanting Tamiya fine primer then airbrushing.  My first attempt looked good so crash on with the rest of the parts.... hopefully priming tomorrow evening 

48750512236_cf314ee29c_z.jpgIMG_1833 

Engine

48750285043_de4453128d_z.jpgIMG_1834

Then I thought lets start on the wings and here is the first bit I could do with some historical... or even aeronautical advice.

The Storch features slats and flaps,  as does my future Lysander project.... Im familiar with flaps and their positions in relative flight modes... but slats... hmmmm.  I have 3 photos where I have positioned in dry fit the slats in relation to the leading edge,  this is going to be a static model portrayed as it would be on the ground / apron / field  not running and awaiting a pilot

With the Storch will the slats be in position 1,2 or 3.... and would the flaps be stowed to prevent the wind creating so much lift it takes off....  

Or maybe a better question is what would,  in your opinion, be the best way to display the slats and flaps

photo 1

48750184818_30303f0d50_z.jpgIMG_1830 

photo2

48750700112_7b56aa7db5_z.jpgIMG_1831 

photo3

48750699997_a825f62f88_z.jpgIMG_1832 

As always thanks for your input.... primer tomorrow and some paint in a couple of days after to make sure its all dry and gassed off

TIA DaveR

Edited by DaveRob
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Here is a photo from Wiki. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fieseler_Fi_156

I actually thought that the slats and flaps would be fully retracted when on the ground to prevent the wind lifting the wing....  Id prefer to display it as fully deployed slats and flaps so it looks like ... although its not completely clear from those photos ... the slats are more or less parallel to the leading edge, ie with an equal gap all round... although one of those photos shows them deployed forward with the trailing edge of the flaps against the wing surface, but is that in prep for landing???... the deployment I like best from those is the sprayer but would that be ok???  that looks like a posed for the camera shot.... a good breeze and that would take off on its own !!!

DaveR

Edited by DaveRob
  • Like 1

Your model, your choice Dave. One of the frustrating things historically, but good for us modellers, is that there's very little 'real life' experience from this era… sadly.

Modern pilots get to buy a round of drinks at the bar if they leave flaps deployed. 

Did that 'rule' come from 'those days'?

Who knows.

I always go for the 'I like that' option 'cos you're the one who has to look at it after the RFI shots! :D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveRob said:

the deployment I like best from those is the sprayer but would that be ok???  that looks like a posed for the camera shot.... a good breeze and that would take off on its own !!!

Sorry just got back to this, i think you'd be just fine like that. It might be a posed shot it might not be. It could be in between two hops for the day so not buttoned up so to say. Its been said that actually could happen with the Storch. It supposedly has such a light takeoff speed and positive control, that i could believe a strong wind could do that. Of course that is part of the designed purpose of a STOL aircraft like the Storch. To get in and out of tight spaces for rescue/supply. Ive read one of these were flown by Hanna Reitsch into very tight space in Berlin, a park or stadium during the closing days of the war for that very purpose. Check out the section labelled Berlin 1945. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanna_Reitsch

Dennis

• Like 1

Nice work! 

As @Corsairfoxfouruncle demonstrated, reference books and Google are both your friends. The slats on the Storch were apparently fixed, so match the photos best as you can. The flaps are your choice.

As for the Lysander, the slats were retractable. They automatically deployed as speed decreased (per the Pilot's Notes, they started deploying below about 85 MPH). Also, the flaps were linked to the inner slats. So, on that aircraft, slats and flaps would always be extended after landing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Nice work! 

The slats on the Storch were apparently fixed, so match the photos best as you can. The flaps are your choice.

Didn’t know they were fixed so that makes it easy. I’ll dig about for reference photos. Was just that photo in wiki that kinda showed them extended but trailing edge flat to the wing top surface so it looks like if they are fixed they still can be rotated   I’ll check photos and pick what I like then 🙂

inhave the pilots notes for the Lysander so it’s an easier decision given they were linked to the inner flaps but all that’s to come in my next build log

thanks for your input

DaveR

Edited by DaveRob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I built my 1/72 Storch some time ago Nigel posted some photos of the Storch at the East Fortune museum that might help. Scroll down to post #22 for some more (but ignore the madness!) :D 

There's also a note that the cockpit was painted RLM02 and instrumental panel RLM66.

HTH

Ced

3 hours ago, CedB said:

When I built my 1/72 Storch some time ago Nigel posted some photos of the Storch at the East Fortune museum that might help. 

These were very helpful @CedB Thanks..... 

Looks like Ill be checking You Tube re paint techniques for weathering etc..... Ill get the primer on tonight then by Friday it should be dry enough to start the engine and ancillary final coats... then on to final assembly of the fuselage and wings.

DaveR

• Like 1

Takes a bit longer than you think this kit building thing 🙂

I got everything in primer the started thinking ahead a bit then I was kindly sent some historical information that changes things a bit... so some reading and research later  I find some masks and a bit of PE and resin detail so I ordered that, so Im just waiting for the post coming this week to see if I can make a decent go of this.  It started out an OOB build and now Im trying to make a serious effort to get up to the standards that are often shown around this site.... Guess I got a bit swept up in it all.....

BTW is it usual to start another kit before finishing one..... It just seems like my small stash is calling me to open another box 😉

Thanks to everyone who is taking an interest and providing help

DaveR

• Like 1

Going great there Dave, looking forward to seeing your progress. Nothing wrong with starting another kit if the fancy takes you, I've done it myself a number of times. I know loads of others are in the habit also. Sometimes it's good to do something a little different whilst waiting for bits and pieces to turn up in the post, etc.

By all means be inspired by the efforts of others on here - again I've done that myself - but don't feel you have to attain a standard. Just enjoy the challenge of producing a result you're happy with, and if your next model is an improvement on the one before then that's brilliant. In any event, just have fun - it's a hobby, after all's said and done :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveRob said:

Takes a bit longer than you think this kit building thing 🙂

My personal record is 14 yrs, 9 months for a RAAF PBY Black cat. The 2nd longest is 9 yrs, 5 months for a USN PBJ-1H both in 1/48 scale. No worries about time as long as you do something its always modeling. 

51 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My personal record is 14 yrs, 9 months for a RAAF PBY Black cat. The 2nd longest is 9 yrs, 5 months for a USN PBJ-1H both in 1/48 scale. No worries about time as long as you do something its always modeling. 

Did you start anything in between then .... 😉

Not sure if the BM walkaround section has been pointed out to you yet, but there's some really useful information and references tucked away there, including a good bunch on the Storch. 

We're free to use, cut and paste any pictures from there into our threads etc within the BM site. 

I've been suggesting that it is linked to a more prominent place for easier access and use, but you'll find it from the main site page, down to aircraft, down to resources, second item is Walkarounds, then in Julien's text click on the word "here" (underlined) and then you get Props, Jets, Copters, etc 

There may be an easier way to access it, but Darned if I can find it! 

Anyway, check out the Feisler pics, but be warned..... You can really get sucked in to crazy details looking at this stuff!!! 

You'll also find that many of the photographers are OBCESSED with wheel wells and the mad pipework and plumbing in there. 

I'd say Don't Do It..... Nobody ever looks in there. 

Obvs this rant doesn't apply to the Storch, or the Lysander for that matter. 

Keep going with the good work. 

You still enjoying the build? 

That's the main thing 😎

It's your hobby you can do what you like. I've lost count of how many builds I have in progress (8 I think, but it might be more) and I still started a typhoon on Saturday morning because I felt like it :) ( i was going through my stash looking for spare parts for some of my wip, got an engine for the JI and some guns for the Pfalz as well as the typhoon yay :) l

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Not sure if the BM walkaround section has been pointed out to you yet, but there's some really useful information and references tucked away there, including a good bunch on the Storch. 

Anyway, check out the Feisler pics, but be warned..... You can really get sucked in to crazy details looking at this stuff!!! 

You'll also find that many of the photographers are OBCESSED with wheel wells and the mad pipework and plumbing in there. 

I'd say Don't Do It..... Nobody ever looks in there. 

Obvs this rant doesn't apply to the Storch, or the Lysander for that matter. 

Keep going with the good work. 

You still enjoying the build? 

That's the main thing 😎

Thanks for the pointer......  I had found that info but as you say it isn't in the most prominent of locations,  yes their is a lot of detail to suck you in and I thought Id try to make an improvement on the standard kit but not go completely OTT as I do want to get this finished this year.

As you say wheel wells won't bother me to much at the moment,  but Ill bear it in mind for future.....  on the subject of future,  I decided to dip the canopy...maybe just because I wanted to find out what all the fuss was about.   Well it did make a difference, infact their was a couple of marks on the outside where it had been roaming around in the box for years... now clear as a bell,  am impressed with that... photos to come soon.

Yes still enjoying the build,  would be nice to have a bit more time on my hands to get on with it.

DaveR

• Like 2

I tend to work on the basis of ‘if you can’t see it, don’t bother’ and also that what you do it should look like the real thing at a distance, just because you know it’s there doesn’t mean you need to model it, if you can’t see it standing 50 feet away from the real thing then you only need to suggest it. (Note distance will depend on scale)

and most of all are you still having fun.

Edited by Marklo

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

, if you can’t see it standing 50 feet away from the real thing then you only need to suggest it.

and most of all are you still having fun.

At 50 ft Id be lucky too see ANYTHING with my eyesight.... so I could conceivably place a large rock at 50ft and claim perfection :-)

seriously I understand the suggestion, and for a first model I just wanted to push how far I could realistically go and still finish in a reasonable timescale.

Got some paint in the cockpit now, but my PE for the little details has arrived today along with the masks for the canopy  so see what I can fit to detail it a little tomorrow.

DaveR

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Didn't want you to think Id given up on this project so photo of cockpit assembled to fuselage and the canopy TRIAL. fitted .... as Im debating the rear seat options.  The kit seat isn't right so am thinking of a mini project to make it from scratch.  It also seems like the fus sides need trimming and filling as the fit isn't the best so I have some filler to apply before sanding back.  The wings are assembled but as I have some PE parts arrived Ill be finishing those soon... finish the cockpit then start to assemble the whole thing.  As the wheels lack much detail Im going for the ski option and maybe do something from the Russian front.  Any comments or suggestions for corrections please chip in before I get to far.

48800272327_43c643e165_z.jpgIMG_1841 

48800129481_131eb8af68_z.jpgIMG_1842 

Thanks for all your help and interest so far this has taught me a lot in prep for my next build....  should I start the Lysander next or have a go at the BF109-4 I seem to have acquired.

Cheers

DaveR

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, DaveRob said:

should I start the Lysander next or have a go at the BF109-4 I seem to have acquired.

Depends on your comfort level with working on things. If you feel good enough to handle the Lysander then go for it. If not attack the 109F and keep building the skills. 

• Like 1