MOTORIZED WW2 BRITISH TANKS

Juan R-S

Good afternoon!!!

Back in the late sixties-early seventies I built a tank in 1/35 scale(or so) of the Crusader tank. The tank was motorized which, for a kid, was the coolest.

I have looked at some websites but cannot seem to hit a motorized Crusader. Could I have been thinking of another tank? Comments appreciated.

About that same time, I built a panther tank. Also motorized and of same scale. I always thought they were cool being motorized. For some reason I did

not find it interesting when on aircraft.

Many of the early Tamiya kits were initially realeased motorised and this is oft cited as a reason we ended up with miliary kits being 1/35 & not 1/32.

You can tell those that were by the various 'extra' openings in the chassis.

Don't think they did a Crusader before the mould share with Italeri in the last 10 (?) years

Could it have been a Centurion mk3, that was available motorised?

Given that radio control is much cheaper today than in the 1970's, 1/35th scale has become a static scale model format.

There are radio control, ready to run models in 1/24th and 1/16th scale, although I think the only British model is a Challenger 2. When looking for radio control models like this go for 2.4gig versions as these are digital so several can operate at the same time without interferance, unlike the analogue 27mh.

Being in the UK, I don't know of any US retailers.

I don't think Tamiya or anyone made a Crusader until long after the motorised era. In fact in the back of my mind I think they actually reissued the Italeri kit. 

So most likely it was either the Chieftain or Centurion from Tamiya. . The Chieftain was kitted first because I remember seeing the Centurion being advertised as new in Airfix magazine or Military Modelling. 

So odds on it was the Chieftain. The first tool. You could buy it either as motorised or remote control, not radio control. It was on a wire. 

My first Tamiya kit was the M4A3E8 Sherman, motorised. I thought it was the coolest thing too. Ploughing relentlessly through the potato patch until it shed a track. . 

I still have a Tamiya remote control Tiger which I acquired much later. 

Edited by noelh

Like others here, I cannot recall any kits of the Crusader before the Airfix 1/32 and 1/76 offerings: no motorisation there.

But there was life before Tamiya.  I'm wondering if you're thinking of the Nichimo 1/35 Charioteer:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/nichimo-british-charioteer-mk8-tank-481045598

At least it's British and has Christie suspension. 

PS why Nichimo lit on this for a UK subject beats me.

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Like others here, I cannot recall any kits of the Crusader before the Airfix 1/32 and 1/76 offerings: no motorisation there.

But there was life before Tamiya.  I'm wondering if you're thinking of the Nichimo 1/35 Charioteer:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/nichimo-british-charioteer-mk8-tank-481045598

At least it's British and has Christie suspension. 

PS why Nichimo lit on this for a UK subject beats me.

Now that's quite something. I have no recollection of this kit at all - it would certainly have been on the Christmas list if I had!

I did have a Nichimo Chieftain that was remotely controlled via wires connected to a battery control box. I never built it though.

J