HO4S ASW Helicoptors

hsr

According to @Tailspin Turtle's excellent book on the Bell HSL helicopters the Sikorsky HO4S-1 and HO4S-3 helicopters were delivered to the first 4 ASW helicopter squadrons as an interim solution while they waited for the HSL or HSS to go into production. But the book, being about the HSL and not the HO4S, does not go into any details of what they looked like or how they were configured. Searching around I found this site   http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/v/63/3/4#3 which has some good color drawings and a few dark grainy B&W pictures but, I can't find any data about how they were configured with sonar and weapons. I am guessing that they served as hunter/killer teams with the hunters configured with the sonar and the killer carrying some form of homing torpedo(?). I am also guessing that the killer carried Mk-24 "Fido" torpedoes (?) but I am not sure how many and where, nor how the hunter carried the sonar. Anyone have any better information and/or pictures?

Thanks

Howard

2 hours ago, hsr said:

According to @Tailspin Turtle's excellent book on the Bell HSL helicopters the Sikorsky HO4S-1 and HO4S-3 helicopters were delivered to the first 4 ASW helicopter squadrons as an interim solution while they waited for the HSL or HSS to go into production. But the book, being about the HSL and not the HO4S, does not go into any details of what they looked like or how they were configured. Searching around I found this site   http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/v/63/3/4#3 which has some good color drawings and a few dark grainy B&W pictures but, I can't find any data about how they were configured with sonar and weapons. I am guessing that they served as hunter/killer teams with the hunters configured with the sonar and the killer carrying some form of homing torpedo(?). I am also guessing that the killer carried Mk-24 "Fido" torpedoes (?) but I am not sure how many and where, nor how the hunter carried the sonar. Anyone have any better information and/or pictures?

Thanks

Howard

The Navy ASW HO4Ss were configured with a dipping sonar in the cabin and a single variable-attitude stores rack for a homing torpedo on the left side of the fuselage ahead of the forward cabin window and just below it. More later...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

That is very helpful. I like the caption on the picture "It is very rare to see a photo which depicts the dunking sonar deployed and the homing torpedo". First one I've seen. Was the sonar lowered from where the hoist would be or through the floor. like the Sea Kings?

2 hours ago, hsr said:

That is very helpful. I like the caption on the picture "It is very rare to see a photo which depicts the dunking sonar deployed and the homing torpedo". First one I've seen. Was the sonar lowered from where the hoist would be or through the floor. like the Sea Kings?

Through the floor. There were several fuel tanks in the belly in separate compartments so one or two were deleted to allow there to be a hole for the sonar dome to be lowered through.

• Thanks 1

One last question; when the sonar is fully retracted does it hang below the bottom of the fuselage or is it completely retracted into the cabin and if so is there a door that covers the opening or is there just a hole in the bottom of the fuselage?

Thanks

Howard

11 hours ago, hsr said:

One last question; when the sonar is fully retracted does it hang below the bottom of the fuselage or is it completely retracted into the cabin and if so is there a door that covers the opening or is there just a hole in the bottom of the fuselage?

Thanks

Howard

It can be fully retracted but I have one picture where the bottom of the sonar extends slightly below the bottom of the fuselage.  There are no doors on the belly to close the opening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

I have one picture where the bottom of the sonar extends slightly below the bottom of the fuselage. 

Would yo be able to post that picture?

Thanks