Hunter F.6 Airfix 1:48 / No 12 Sqn

mathy

Absolutely stunning. I wanted to build the very same Hunter in the Oman camo, but looking at this magnificent one makes me re-think my decision, and if it turns out half as nice as yours, I'de be very happy!Β 

Lovely build and finish.

Just for reference XF383 was an ex 4FTS jet and didn't have guns or Sabrina's fitted and the muzzle openings were faired over.

Only the small drop tanks were carried (already mentioned elsewhere) as F6 flaps don't have the cutout.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TEZ said:

As always a beautifully finished model. Always thought the Hunter looked great in the wraparound grey and green camouflage.Β 

Β 

Just one point, that particular mark of Hunter, the F.6, was restricted to carrying the smaller 100 gallon tanks. The 230 gallon tanks were carried by the later FGA.9. Although some F.6s converted to the F.6A could carry the bigger tanks.Β 

Β 

Regards

Andrew

And i rememberΒ something about the flaps being altered to accommodate those tanks..

Nevertheless i really like the build and i think the wraparound espacially looks great..well done

Β 

cheers, Jan

On 9/9/2019 at 7:47 PM, Britman said:

Very nice although I am confused as to why the undercarriage exchange. I was of the Impression that the Academy main wheels were undersize, indeed the Aeroclub replacements that I used in my Academy were bigger.

Β 

Keith

Β 

I see Mathy has already responded to mention the lack of detail on the original Airfix undercarriage.....it does seem odd that notable areas of the Airfix airframe, in particular the aforementioned undercarriage and the prominent flaps, are almost totally devoid of detail while other areas are really quite nice. I'm not sure if this was done to cut down on tooling costs or just a desire to get the kit out as early as possible. It is ironic that one has to resort to the now rather poor Academy offering for certain parts. Of course, the other consideration may have been the rather weak main undercarriage legs in the Airfix kit, a problem that is well documented elsewhere on this website and resulted in my investment in SAC white metal replacements.Β 

Β 

As for Mathy's build....Well Done, Sir..........another masterpiece !Β 

Very nice indeed but one small comment in that all Hunters had a rounded trailing edge to the ailerons, and not pointed as in all of the kits on the market it seems. I told Airfix about this at the last SMW, but they were not interested. I wonder if the forthcoming F4 will have the same error?

Β 

John

This is one of the best painted Hunters I've ever seen. You've simulated the faded look very accurately indeed. The only downsides for me are the things that have already been pointed out, i.e. should not have 230 gallon tanks (100 gallon tanks on inboard pylons only are what's required) and there should be faired over blast tubes and no link collectors. I would certainly have stuck with the Airfix undercarriage too, with the addition of a resin nosewheel. The Academy effort is very poor.

Β 

The only other thing I can add is that this particular jet had, for some reason, its fin flash painted the wrong way around on the starboard side. It would have been nice to replicate that - at the risk of people accusing YOU of having applied it wrong of course! :)

Β 

A beautiful model. Hats off.πŸ‘

• Like 2

On 9/13/2019 at 3:50 PM, StephenMG said:

The only other thing I can add is that this particular jet had, for some reason, its fin flash painted the wrong way around on the starboard side.

I remember having seen pictures of that in the past! Β Trying to find some now but my search doesn’t yield anything.... Have you (or anyone reading this) got a link to pictures of that reversed fin flash? πŸ™πŸ»

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 7:06 AM, guillaume320 said:

I remember having seen pictures of that in the past! Β Trying to find some now but my search doesn’t yield anything.... Have you (or anyone reading this) got a link to pictures of that reversed fin flash? πŸ™πŸ»

I do have an excellent colour photo. Unfortunately it's not mine so I won't be able to reproduce it here I'm afraid (it was sent to me as reference material for the profile artwork I did for the recent Pen & Sword Flightcraft Hunter book). Sorry.

• Like 1

On 09/09/2019 at 17:43, mathy said:

Hi all,

here some pics of my new built Airfix Hunter F.6 in 1:48. Add some Eduard PE`s, pitot by Master and Xtradecals for a No 12 Sqn Hunter. Replaced the whole landing gear with those from the old Academy kit. From the same one I used the 4 fuel tanks.

Β 

comp_Hunter_3n.jpg

Β 

comp_Hunter_1.jpg

Β 

comp_Hunter_7n.jpg

Β 

comp_Hunter_8n.jpg

Β 

comp_Hunter_12.jpg

Β 

comp_Hunter_10.jpg