Civil Ju 52 kits

Yeet Seeger

8 minutes ago, Orso said:

the Italeri kit with the large cargo door

So does this issue come down to the starboard side and the windows? 

Because the Italieri kit has 2 options, 

IMG_20200211_144005

3 small windows and maybe a handle.... Would this be the cargo door? 

And 2 windows same size as all the other ones. This would give an appearance like the Faller and Aermodel fuselages pictured above with care to blend the corrugated panels. 

Will this solve the problem? 

• Like 1

Whatever door you put inthe corrugation on the doors is different then the fuselage...

I opted to do some work with milliput... 

First I made a negative mold from milliput bij using the fuselage corrugation as a template and make it big enough to place it over your opening after it hardened....after this process place milliput on the inside in your door opening and let it harden..use some sort of mold release stuff, in my case it was sunflower oil....🤪

And tada you have one corrugated piece wich is exactly the same as your kit.

I did one door and two windows on the heller kit in order too get the correct layout for HB-HOY that I am building that is why the nose is different then a normal ju52 as this is a casa 352....

To me the best kit for a civvy ju52 is the old Airfix kit as this one doesn’t have the freight or small forward side doors...you only have to close up the hatch on the roof.....

cheers, Jan

49521426521_97b17822b5_b.jpg

49520917368_d1983d0669_b.jpg

49520888313_0933325547_b.jpg

49521410936_543e85a573_b.jpg

49521409196_d976b2ae8d_b.jpg 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Vingtor said:

. You will have to fill the starboard side cargo door with corrugated skin that goes flush with the fuselage, add new cabin windows and also add add cabin doors on each side behind the cockpit.

The first part is sorted, I think. 

2nd point, there seems to be sometimes an access door behind the cockpit on the starboard side (only?). That looks like it is doable. 

Is that an indication that it's an ex-military fuselage? Or was it the original civil planes that had a crew door fitted like that. 

They wouldn't expect passengers to climb over the wing to use that door 

6 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Sorry @janneman36. The posts crossed over.

Front crew door or not?! 

Well I am not an expert on the Ju52 but you need reference, my casa 352 is a Spanish copy but it lacks the door as this one was left  of during restoration I believe...

It all depends on what you are planning to build...try to find some reference..

The airfix kit lacks all those doors...

cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

The door was on both sides n the early planes.

I used the cargo hatch with two windows when I build my civilian planes. I remove the corrugations and cut of about 1 mm from the top so the window line up with the oterr. Thi means that the same amount needs to be added to the bottom. I rebuild the missing corrugation with 0,4 mm plastic rods. Boring work I have finished one plane https://baecklund.eu/scalemodels/72/ju52.html and have two more fuselages done now.

Edited by Orso
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jan, your technique using Milliput etc to mimic the ribbing could be used for the Ju 52 - ie the original single engine version. The problem with all conversions is deleting the engine nacelles in the wings.  

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

using Milliput etc to mimic the ribbing could be used for the Ju 52 - ie the original single engine version.

Yes. @clive_t had a considerable success with a 1 motor project last year.

On skis, into the bargain. There's an instructive and epic WIP on here somewhere. 

I'll be starting one soon.... a 3m of course... as I'm already into the box 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

The problem with all conversions is deleting the engine nacelles in the wings.  

Step one to delete the engine nacelles is to avoid the Airfix kit.

I tried it but the top halves of the wings doesn't run straight. They change after the nacelles so one get a kink in the wings.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Yes. @clive_t had a considerable success with a 1 motor project last year.

On skis, into the bargain. There's an instructive and epic WIP on here somewhere. 

I'll be starting one soon.... a 3m of course... as I'm already into the box 

Hi, the thread to which Rob refers is here. On the last page is a link to the RFI thread.

I came up with my own method for reproducing corrugations, using liquid plastic and a silicon rubber mould, which allowed me to detail the interior, regardless of the curvature of the surface.

• Thanks 1