Civil Ju 52 kits

Yeet Seeger

Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the best spot for this post. New to the forum.

I'm interested in doing a civilian Ju 52 as my next project, BEA or BOAC most likely, considering Swiss too, and the Revell kits in 1/48 seem to be the main game in town for this. Was wondering if anyone knew enough about the various iterations of it to know if the 05718 "Icons of Aviation" boxing was any different parts wise from the prior civil variants they released beyond the BEA decals and paints/brush/glue included with it? Seems to be easier to find the older versions than that specific boxing. Want to make sure I get the best version I can get my hands on.

Thanks!

Yeet, I don't know if you have looked at Scalemates, a site which gives you a lot of information about the history of different model kit mouldings.

I searched  for 'Revell 1/48 JU 52' and this came up:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03918-junkers-ju52-3mg4e--1119704

Have a look and it will give you details of the various boxings of the same plastic issued over the years but with different markings.

A very helpful source of information for all of us; the difficult bit is trying to find a stockist who the issue that has the markings you want!

Th Ju 52 had a number of variants, as Gooney Fan has indicated. Let Wikipedia and Google be your friend.

However, in general most JU 52s were broadly very similar in appearance apart from the dorsal gun positions on some of the military versions.

Good Luck. John

A civil Ju 52 is not necessary a civil Ju 52....

Originally designed as a civil airliner in the early 1930s, the type was extensively (?) modified to become a military transport. Most of the post war civil Ju 52s were civilized military aircraft.

Revell has two very nice 1/48 scale kits of the Ju 52, both the pre war civil version and the military version. For a post war civil model, the best option might be to base the model on the military version, possibly taking the interior from the civil kit version.

Nils

• 4 months later...
On 9/10/2019 at 2:58 PM, Eric Mc said:

Eduard and Revell have released a civil Ju52 in 1/144 scale (it's the same kit). I picked up some decals for a pre-war British Airways version at a model show a few weeks ago.

There is also the Aer Model kit in 1/87 and the Faller in 1/100. Very basic kits but useful if you don’t have room for 1/48. 

On 9/10/2019 at 2:58 PM, Eric Mc said:

Eduard and Revell have released a civil Ju52 in 1/144 scale (it's the same kit). I picked up some decals for a pre-war British Airways version at a model show a few weeks ago.

What make of decals would that be please? 

• 3 weeks later...

There's a 1.72 scale kit by Italieri that comes with a decent decal sheet (as usual for them). 

IMG_20200127_192123

But nothing British 

Seating, wheel spats and 2-blade props included, and a cockpit roof transparency with no gun position etc 

Ju52 kit

Ahah there's your Swiss option if you want to! 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition

Sorry to be a bit pedantic and off-topic but no matter how good the decal sheet is you cannot model D-AQUI from the Italeri kit without significant modifications including different engines and props. 

If you're interested in historic British Ju-52s, S&M Decals produced a 1/144 sheet for G-AHOF and G-AERU (Sheet SM44-469). As far as I know this is now out of print but it might be worth contacting Mel Bromley to see if he still has the artwork and would be willing to do a one-off print. It's very easy to up-scale laser decals and the worst that can happen is that he says no.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

you cannot model D-AQUI from the Italeri kit without significant modifications including different engines and props. 

Is that because it's a modern restoration job?? 

And modeldoc refers to an original AQUI airframe? 

Is the kit good for a 1930s plane, with 2-blade props? 

Just that I'm thinking seriously about starting mine soon. 

Rob, you are right.

My link show all the Ju-52 with the registration D-AQUI.

The now grounded Ju-52 from Lufthansa is the D-CDLH and has only the registration D-AQUI in big letters,

Here is the lifeline from this plane:

https://www.dlbs.de/de/Die-Flotte/Junkers-JU-52/Zeitstrahl.php

modelldoc

• Thanks 1

No @modelldoc I am not wrong, I just didn't explain myself clearly enough. I should have said "You cannot model D-AQUI "Berlin Tempelhof" from the Italeri kit without significant modifications..."

The "Berlin Tempelhof" name on the decal sheet is only applicable to the "modern" D-AQUI, i.e. the rebuild with PW engines, three blade props and C46 undercarriage. The "original" D-AQUI was at various times named "Fritz Simon" and "Kurt Wintgens" neither of these names being on the Italeri decal sheet. The name "Berlin Tempelhof" wasn't applied until sometime after 1984, well after the rebuild. 

You can, of course, model D-AQUI in its earlier condition but you will have to find decals for the name from another source.

I think that the original AQUI was a pure passenger plane without a cargo door on the side so that can't be built out of the box. The passenger fuselage is only to be found in 1/144 and 1/48 scales but are sadly missing in 1/72.

The 1/48 model is awfully big when you are used to 1/72 scale

spacer.png

I was almost to large for my paint box.

7 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

You can, of course, model D-AQUI in its earlier condition but you will have to find decals for the name from another source.

Modelling the original D-AQUI is quite more complicated than the latest configuration. The aircraft got a new fuselage during the war, from a military airframe. You will have to fill the starboard side cargo door with corrugated skin that goes flush with the fuselage, add new cabin windows and also add add cabin doors on each side behind the cockpit. Not an easy task.

4 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

What happened to the one that got grounded?

The plane is stored in the town Bremen. There is a repair shop from Lufthansa.

At the moment the discuss how the can display the plane in a museum.

modelldoc

• Thanks 1

I have been following this post with interest. For those Ju 52 Junkies out there (like me) I just thought I'd put my two pfennigs worth.  There are two kits of smaller scale that, although not excellent examples of accuracy, do provide fuselages which are for the passenger variant - ie lots of windows, no cargo door and no gun positions. They are the 1/87 scale Aer-Model and the 1/100 Faller, as illustrated below.

49520281156_cc5a78a4d6_z.jpgIMG_0492 by arhills, on Flickr

• Like 2