This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Yeet Seeger

Civil Ju 52 kits

Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the best spot for this post. New to the forum.

I'm interested in doing a civilian Ju 52 as my next project, BEA or BOAC most likely, considering Swiss too, and the Revell kits in 1/48 seem to be the main game in town for this. Was wondering if anyone knew enough about the various iterations of it to know if the 05718 "Icons of Aviation" boxing was any different parts wise from the prior civil variants they released beyond the BEA decals and paints/brush/glue included with it? Seems to be easier to find the older versions than that specific boxing. Want to make sure I get the best version I can get my hands on.

Thanks!

Hello Yeet

If you want a  civilian dedicated Ju52, kit get either one celebrating the Berlin Olympics or one which depicts Goerings personal aircraft.

AFAIK all other kits are for the military Ju52's only

Gooney Fan

Yeet, I don't know if you have looked at Scalemates, a site which gives you a lot of information about the history of different model kit mouldings.

I searched  for 'Revell 1/48 JU 52' and this came up:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03918-junkers-ju52-3mg4e--1119704

Have a look and it will give you details of the various boxings of the same plastic issued over the years but with different markings.

A very helpful source of information for all of us; the difficult bit is trying to find a stockist who the issue that has the markings you want!

Th Ju 52 had a number of variants, as Gooney Fan has indicated. Let Wikipedia and Google be your friend.

However, in general most JU 52s were broadly very similar in appearance apart from the dorsal gun positions on some of the military versions.

Good Luck. John

Eduard and Revell have released a civil Ju52 in 1/144 scale (it's the same kit). I picked up some decals for a pre-war British Airways version at a model show a few weeks ago.

A civil Ju 52 is not necessary a civil Ju 52....

Originally designed as a civil airliner in the early 1930s, the type was extensively (?) modified to become a military transport. Most of the post war civil Ju 52s were civilized military aircraft.

Revell has two very nice 1/48 scale kits of the Ju 52, both the pre war civil version and the military version. For a post war civil model, the best option might be to base the model on the military version, possibly taking the interior from the civil kit version.

Nils