Question of Vickers Weliington exhausts

fernandocouto

My friend is building an Italeri (MPM rebox) Wellington MK.Ic.

Confused with different exhaust types of left and right. On left engine is this:

spacer.png

However there was a "Porcupine" or Hedgehog exhaust. When referring to resin conversion parts, two types both provided.

The long exhaust already had flame damper effect, so what's for Porcupine one? Apparently it's hard to produce....

Further more, when I search photos, I find on MK.IV with R-1830 engine, the left outer exhaust is still a long tube, but the others...different.

Perhaps some special reasons?

spacer.png

The info says this is a MK.X. Cannot tell which type of left exhausts....

Also, after searching "Wellington", I found an old topic of exhaust positions:

wellington-exhausts-inboard outboard

It makes me more confused for same engines on Beaufighter with same exhausts and same position on left and right engine nacelles.

• Like 1

The second photo is a MK.IV not a Mk.X, as it does not have a Bristol-type engine with the forward collector ring.  As you say, R-1830s.

It seems that the long exhaust simply wasn't as good at flame damping as the hedgehog types.  So for an earlier aircraft I would assume the long type, but the Mk.Ic did stay in service for a while.  It may depend upon the date of the subject being modelled. 

Judging from the Halifax, it was possible to have the exhaust on either side.  Because of this I would expect the starboard engine to have the exhaust on the outer side, thus being shielded from the pilot's eyes.  But logic is not always a safe guide.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The second photo is a MK.IV not a Mk.X, as it does not have a Bristol-type engine with the forward collector ring.  As you say, R-1830s.

It seems that the long exhaust simply wasn't as good at flame damping as the hedgehog types.  So for an earlier aircraft I would assume the long type, but the Mk.Ic did stay in service for a while.  It may depend upon the date of the subject being modelled. 

Judging from the Halifax, it was possible to have the exhaust on either side.  Because of this I would expect the starboard engine to have the exhaust on the outer side, thus being shielded from the pilot's eyes.  But logic is not always a safe guide.

Sorry I am not familiar with Wellington....

However on same plane, two sides are different:

spacer.png

Edited by fernandocouto

-In your first picture, you show a Pegasus-powered B.I Welly. The later B.III and B.X were Hercules powered. The Peggy-powered ones mostly had the longer pipes while the later ones had the hedgehog exhaust. Also on the Peggy-powered aircraft, the port ( left ) side pipe had a larger diameter section that served and a heater for cabin air.

Some pre-war and early war Wellingtons had short pipes on the starboard side.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.189981987.9689142

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.158197042.9689142

Later on, the pipe was extended and the hedgehog flame damper added.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.124127490.9689142

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.112512268.9689142

On the later Hercules-powered Wellingtons, the position of the exhausts was changed to be on the inside of the nacelles.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1